The Dark Mod Forums

Listing art assets (packs) on the wiki

datiswous

Recently I started listing the Abandoned Works on a wiki page. Looking through some of the project folders I encountered assets that were posted on the forum years ago (for example this fish), but I never read about them before. I don't think the forum is good for listing assets, it's off course good for discussing.

So I was wondering maybe it's an idea to make a list of game assets, including scripts, centered in one place? Knowing the assets exists, people are able to find it on the forums (placing direct links on the wiki page will get outdated). I might have to ask people for permission.

• Like 2

Petike already put in work into listing custom assets on the wiki, i.e.: https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Sound_addons_repository. I don't think it includes scripts, though.

Maybe the issue is there should be an easier way to find these articles on the wiki.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ah well.. It's really a bummer how it currently works. If you click on a link on the assets wiki page it leads you to page 1 of someone's forum thread with est. 12 pages following including comments and questions of other people...

So if someone is searching for something specific, good luck going through all the pages with potentially finding nothing you searched for in the end. And if someone just wants to add "new stuff" to his / her list of available things for mapping - well, go through all the pages and hope that there are some working download links beneath all these images.

Either way this is so much wasted potential. However I'm not gonna ask if somebody wants to sit down and build a repository for custom user addons. I'll just try to create a new wiki page with a download link to my custom package and a summary what that package includes (so hopefully the other content creators will follow this way too). I hope this is a better solution than the current one. It would really be a shame IMHO if all the cool stuff that the people created gets lost in random forum posts.

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Would it be at all possible to do this from the "main" website? I mean the one you first see when you look up "Dark Mod". 

Cuz it is a maze in these forums, goodies strewn about here and there but few resources that are intuitively accessible. 

Also @SeriousToni, what are you planning on uploading? 

@Omni-Flayer 9000 Loves You

True that. It's hard to find these things. I will try to make a few Screenshots or images for the pack. It includes custom made models and textures from my Fan Mission Sneak & Destroy.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

It should be available on my Google drive? Also in the inofficial TDM Addons mod on moddb. I'll have to check why Google isn't working. That's why we need that stuff in the wiki. 😁 However there's the 20mb max file size

Edit: @datiswous

The link is working for me. What error do you get?

Edited by SeriousToni

I created template (and category) Addons, which is listed as subcategory of Editing:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Category:Addons

Script, gui, texture, etc. addon pages can be linked to it via:

{{addons}}

Scripts and gui's are text files, so could possibly be placed in the page itself as text. instead of uploading them elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 9:57 PM, datiswous said:

It works, but you still have to sign into Google Drive to download it. I think it should be set to free for everyone with the link.

I guess this is the way Google Drive works - anyhow I can't find another option than "share with anyone who has the URL". If you know a good free filehoster who doesn't delete my files after 1 year then I'll happily add a mirror there :)