The Dark Mod Forums

[Resolved] Quick loading graphics glitch

Daft Mugi

When quick loading, the screen usually flashes a little brighter and shows something odd for a brief moment before and after the loading screen. I had trouble seeing exactly what it was until I recorded it.

The attached image shows a series of screenshots that show the regular view, what looks like some sort of view where objects become translucent, the loading screen, a translucent view again, and finally the regular view. Note: I recorded this with my phone, so the translucent view is showing roughly 2/3 of that frame due to the camera and monitor being out of sync. (Recorded at 60 fps, Game 60fps)

Edit: The "flash" that is seen is from the objects/solids becoming translucent. When they are translucent, they appear brighter. This can be seen in the images.

Bug: https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=6149

loading-graphics-glitch.webp

This site recompresses uploaded images, reducing the quality a lot. I've attached just the translucent image as well, so it can be seen a little more clearly.

loading-graphics-glitch-wireframe.jpg

Edited by Daft Mugi

Here's another example.

Klatremus' Iris video linked at 1:33:01.

I've attached a series of images that show a regular view, a translucent view, a loading screen, a translucent view, and finally a regular view.

To see it yourself, you can step frame by frame on YouTube by first pausing and then using the "." key to step forwards (and the "," key to step backwards).

klatremus-iris.webp

Just translucent image as well, so it can be seen a little more clearly. The object inside the chest can be seen.

klatremus-iris-wireframe.jpg

Edited by Daft Mugi

Here's another example.

Klatremus' Mission 2: The Tears of St. Lucia video linked at 1:15:59.

I've attached a series of images that show a regular view, a translucent view, a loading screen, a translucent view, and finally a regular view.

To see it yourself, you can step frame by frame on YouTube by first pausing and then using the "." key to step forwards (and the "," key to step backwards).

klatremus-mission-2.webp

Just translucent images as well, so they can be seen a little more clearly.

klatremus-mission-2-wireframe-1.webp

klatremus-mission-2-wireframe-2.webp

Edited by Daft Mugi

I've noticed this bug was introduced a number of updates ago and I think it's been reported as I remember reading the same comment in another thread, but given it's mostly aesthetic and extremely quick I don't think priority has been given to fix it yet.

HOWEVER... around the same time this bug was introduced I did notice that sometimes, if there's a guard in your area looking at you but you're hidden in darkness, but you save then quickload, the guard will sometimes react that they've noticed something. If you quickload again then generally they won't react. Basically I wonder if that brief flash you are seeing also affected the global illumination when it happens and as a result it also affects gameplay because it reveals your location for a split second.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

8 minutes ago, Xolvix said:

Basically I wonder if that brief flash you are seeing also affected the global illumination when it happens and as a result it also affects gameplay because it reveals your location for a split second.

I think what's happening is that your illumination isn't saved to the savefile. The sequence is basically this:

* Save in pitch blackness

* Wander into a brightly lit room

* Get spotted by guard

* Quickload

* Light gem is still lit, takes a moment to update

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

30 minutes ago, Xolvix said:

Basically I wonder if that brief flash you are seeing also affected the global illumination when it happens and as a result it also affects gameplay because it reveals your location for a split second.

The "flash" I noticed turns out to be from the objects/solids becoming translucent. When they are translucent, they appear brighter. This can be seen in the screenshots.

3 hours ago, Daft Mugi said:

Do you have a link to that? That would be helpful, so we can consolidate this issue and compare.

Apologies but I don't think I can. All I remember is it first appeared a while back (not sure which update) and I'm pretty sure it was in one of those "Beta testing" threads for the version in question. That's all I can remember, apart from seeing the report once.

Edited by Xolvix
  • Thanks 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

I think this is caused by SMP.

When the game modes K-th frame, it displays (K-1)-th frame.
This works great in steady gameplay, but when something radical happens (e.g. game load), first frame can be displayed with some stale data.
Note that if com_smp is 0, then the game still renders previous frame. It would be great to change it back, but we faced some problems with it and it works as it works.

So yes, there should be some code to mute such things, but I guess we have not tackled this problem yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Daft Mugi changed the title to [Resolved] Quick loading graphics glitch