The Dark Mod Forums

TDM 2.10 on M1 + Parallels

Havknorr

Same thing is happening to my rendering. Although I can't seem to find any glprog files or folders anywhere. A little help would be greatly appreciated. Been a fan of TDM for a long time and I don't want it to stop here!

Edited by stgatilov
Added reference to original thread where this was posted before split.

Thank you for the reply, nbohr1more but unfortunately the problem persists. I strangely feel like it is somewhat better but still unplayable. I still have to play on 2.08 as 2.09 seems to have the same problem as 2.10 with the broken rendering. I shall keep trying though. Thanks again!

3 hours ago, freyk said:

Is this topic for techsupport?

Not sure but I'd like to think so Freyk. I found the thread while searching around google for help with the rendering and it seems several others have had the problem, was just wondering how exactly they figured it out as they had the same problem that still persists for me.

Does this happen both in Stencil Shadows ( r_shadows 1 ) and Shadow Maps ( r_shadows 2 ) modes?

Does this happen in the latest Dev Build version?

( Note: If you are on AMD and want to test the latest Dev Build, I suggest you set r_softShadowsMipmaps 0  )

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Apologies all for the radio silence. To reply to @nbohr1more: Yes it happens in both Stencil Shadows and Shadow Maps (the latter being far worse). I downloaded the latest Dev build and unfortunately the glitched rendering still remains. The glitched rendering starts from build 2.09 onwards. 

@stgatilov, sorry to be a pain but how does one find / screenshot the console dump? I'm a bit new to all this but have been playing the Dark Mod for years now. For now i'll attach my CFG file.

Again, thank you to everyone helping. I love this community!

Darkmod.cfg

Try setting r_useNewBackend "0" in darkmod.cfg and set Color Depth to 32-bit under Video Settings > Advanced in the GUI

If you still have render issues, please hold down CTRL+ALT+DELETE then type condump graphic_glitch.txt in the prompt and gather the resulting file from your darkmod directory.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Try setting r_useNewBackend "0" in darkmod.cfg and set Color Depth to 32-bit under Video Settings > Advanced in the GUI

If you still have render issues, please hold down CTRL+ALT+DELETE then type condump graphic_glitch.txt in the prompt and gather the resulting file from your darkmod directory.

You my friend have solved it! I genuinely cannot thank you enough. This has made me incredibly happy, thank you so much @nbohr1more. Can't wait to get stuck into these new missions! Thanks to everyone else who has helped as well, looking forward to being part of this community! 

3 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Oh my god!

This is Windows VM inside a goddamn M1 macbook!

There are tons of shader errors BTW, most of them are probably false issues, but I guess I should review them.

Somethings telling me I should have mentioned that? 😅

9 hours ago, Havknorr said:

Somethings telling me I should have mentioned that? 😅

And how fast does it work?

The log shows OpenGL 3.3 and almost no extensions beyond that.
Googling also confirms that 3.3 is the best Parallels VM can provide.
I guess you are just above the minimum requirements in terms of GL feature support.

I suppose Parallels VM was not preinstalled, you decided to use it yourself?

P.S. So there are at least two VMs now that can run TDM without passthrough: VMWare and Parallels.

I did a few fixes in experimental (and probably dead) shaders which generated nontrivial warnings.

All the remaining warnings fall into the same category:

WARNING:Validation for program ambientInteraction failed:                      
Validation Failed: Sampler error:                                              
  Samplers of different types use the same texture image unit.                 
   - or -                                                                      
  A sampler's texture unit is out of range (greater than max allowed or        
negative).                                                                     

I recall some stuff like that discussed: basically, OpenGL requires to bind correct textures in order to link shader (weird).
Not sure I want to fix that.

No ideas why new backend does not work though.

2 hours ago, stgatilov said:

And how fast does it work?

The log shows OpenGL 3.3 and almost no extensions beyond that.
Googling also confirms that 3.3 is the best Parallels VM can provide.
I guess you are just above the minimum requirements in terms of GL feature support.

I suppose Parallels VM was not preinstalled, you decided to use it yourself?

P.S. So there are at least two VMs now that can run TDM without passthrough: VMWare and Parallels.

It actually runs rather smoothly. I’ve been a Mac person all my life and over the years been having to use wine or windows based apps to run TDM. Eventually Parallels just stuck and it all worked up until our most recent bug. From the get go on high file sized missions like the phenomenal Painters Wife, it stutters for a bit and the frame rate drops. However, after a second of loading everything up, it all smoothens out and becomes really great to play. 

It is nice to know that you can play TDM on a VM on Paralells.
But it is a paid/trail application.
And is still that "virtualization layer" that takes a load on the system.

It would be nice if you or someone else, as a mac user,
can help us with some other mac os things, like:

• How does TDM work on Vmware Fusion and Virtualbox.  (because there are free in costs)
  • Whats the recent working status now for TDM, on wine / proton (on M1)?
  • Does the old wine frontend "playonmac" work on m1 (and others)? (using our pol-script)
  • And have we found a person already who would build us a new port for mac os?

(for all the things above, see our wiki artitcle: installer and manual installation - mac os)

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

1 hour ago, OrbWeaver said:

I don't think you can use OpenGL at all on M1 macs (natively). Anyone who wants to make that port is going to need to write a complete Metal replacement for the renderer.

There are a few OpenGL to Metal wrapper projects that would allow an almost native design:

https://github.com/openglonmetal/MGL

https://github.com/kakashidinho/metalangle

Not ideal.

5 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

I don't think you can use OpenGL at all on M1 macs (natively). Anyone who wants to make that port is going to need to write a complete Metal replacement for the renderer.

Why do you think so?

Apple deprecated OpenGL but never removed it.
I think they still support 4.1, which is enough for TDM currently.

On 11/15/2022 at 8:05 AM, freyk said:

Whats the recent working status now for TDM, on wine / proton (on M1)?

Does the old wine frontend "playonmac" work on m1 (and others)? (using our pol-script)

Actually, I'd second the question: can you run TDM on Wine or one of its variants?
I think we are speaking about running x86 Wine + x64 TDM with Rosetta translation.

On 11/16/2022 at 10:07 PM, stgatilov said:

Why do you think so?

Apple deprecated OpenGL but never removed it.
I think they still support 4.1, which is enough for TDM currently.

Looks like I jumped the gun slightly. It doesn't seem to have been completely removed, but has been deprecated for several versions. Knowing Apple, I will be very surprised if they don't eventually remove it altogether in a few versions time.