The Dark Mod Forums

Custom fog particles

SeriousToni

Hello, I tried to create a custom cloud effect, this looks fine in the DR Particle editor (can be coloured using the RGB and fades out slowly).

However ingame the smoke is always grey coloured and pops up and instead fading to 0 it pops out again which makes the fog feel not very foggy animore.

I've set my shader blend to blend. The editor looks like this:

image.thumb.png.c7dab8d505312ab51bbcb03f12327fb9.png

This is my shader setup

// PARTICLES

textures/darkmod/sfx/thunderpuff
{
	qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/sfx/thunderpuff
	noShadows
	translucent
	{
		blend blend
		map textures/darkmod/sfx/thunderpuff
	}
}

I can get around the colouring issue by changing the DDS texture - however a slow fade in and fade out would be crucial to make it work. Anybody got an idea why my smoke puffs pop in and out instead of slowly fading?

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

18 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

Youll need to adjust the fade in and fade out fractions.

Yeah I tried and it looks really fine in the particle editor itself (preview window on the right). However whatever I setup as fade in / out fraction seems to be ignored entirely when ingame. Just like the RGBA settings. And I can't tell why. Shouldn't be the result in the DR particle editor the same as ingame?

EDIT: Hm must be some kind of shader problem - since when I use dustfog instead of my own shader spriteit properly gives those colour values and also the fading. Damn - I don't like the standard fog sprite...

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

29 minutes ago, SeriousToni said:

Yeah I tried and it looks really fine in the particle editor itself (preview window on the right). However whatever I setup as fade in / out fraction seems to be ignored entirely when ingame. Just like the RGBA settings. And I can't tell why. Shouldn't be the result in the DR particle editor the same as ingame?

EDIT: Hm must be some kind of shader problem - since when I use dustfog instead of my own shader spriteit properly gives those colour values and also the fading. Damn - I don't like the standard fog sprite...

Fade is controlled by vertex color. You might be able to get it working better by adding the rgb keyword to the material.

Also, perhaps the "textures/darkmod/sfx/thunderpuff" texture has no alpha channel? If so, you could use the makeAlpha keyword and a grayscale texture to give it alpha.

https://modwiki.dhewm3.org/MakeAlpha_(Image_program_function)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

2 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Fade is controlled by vertex color. You might be able to get it working better by adding the rgb keyword to the material.

Also, perhaps the "textures/darkmod/sfx/thunderpuff" texture has no alpha channel? If so, you could use the makeAlpha keyword and a grayscale texture to give it alpha.

https://modwiki.dhewm3.org/MakeAlpha_(Image_program_function)

Thanks. Yes it has an alpha channel, I checked twice :)

What do you mean by set the rgb value as vertex?

14 minutes ago, SeriousToni said:

Thanks. Yes it has an alpha channel, I checked twice :)

What do you mean by set the rgb value as vertex?

textures/darkmod/sfx/thunderpuff

{

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/sfx/thunderpuff

noShadows

translucent

{

blend blend

map textures/darkmod/sfx/thunderpuff

rgb 1.0

}

}

Okay both didn't help - I tried the makealpha which altered the look of the sprite but didn't solve the rgb nor the fade in out problem. Also the rgb 1.0 didn't change anything.

If there's some ideas else left I'll be happy to try them - otherwise I just scrap the idea of my custom fog..

Hmm...

The texture name and path are the same...

See if there is another material that has "textures/darkmod/sfx/thunderpuff" as it's name and see if it has a sort value. If it is set to sort last ( so that it renders over water ) it might be fighting with itself when the particles are dense. That said, new custom materials should generally have a different name to the texture path since the material will use the texture name as a path location (  a sorta sloppy inheritance design meant to supposedly make things easier for compound materials that reference other materials )

I'll look into it tonight if I get a chance.

Hm I'm not completely sure if my setup is correct as you mentioned.

So the material is there only once.
I have a dds texture containing how the sprite should look like as diffuse image plus an alpha map to blend it out. In dds/textures/darkmod/sfx
I also have a tga texture with the same diffuse information and an alpha channel. In textures/darkmod/sfx

To test what is actually used I put the tga in another folder and linked it in the material as a map (translucent). Which made it look like suddenly it uses the ALPHA map as an ingame sprite (not the picture in the rgb channel) which is super strange because the fog suddenly turned into the white zone that masks the diffuse image instead of my fog image.

So I changed my material to use the dds file as a map. This results back into the observed behaviour that my fog texture looks correct, but it neither uses any RGB values from the particle editor, nor any fade in / out timing and plops in and out of the game.

I also tried to use the maskAlpha keyword with no success.

There might be a problem for me to understand what I actually need. I believed I need the DDS as a diffuse texture but also a TGA as a map that "cuts out" the texture. However either it is not like that actually or my setup is wrong. From what I looked at in the standard TDM assets it is also that way that the "texture name and path are the same" - one for DDS (with the folder dds/ in front of it) and one for TGA (starting with the textures/ folder immediately).

Please don't break your head on this. I've already put so much time into this without pleasing results I'm thinking I'll just give up on this and us ethe standard fog emitter or none at all.