The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.11

stgatilov

List of new cvars:

GENERIC

r_volumetric* --- for tweaking volumetric light algorithm (if defaults are not good enough).

tdm_blackjack_indicate --- raise arm up to indicate when blackjacking can result in KO.

pm_mantle_roll_mod --- allows to tune down motions during mantling.

tdm_multiloot_min_interval, tdm_multiloot_max_interval --- configures timings for multiloot grabbing feature.

teleportArea --- command to quickly find a visportal area with specified index.

TROUBLESHOOTING

r_modelBvh* --- configures all BVH-related optimizations. r_modelBvhBuild is the "kill switch".

r_softShadowsMipmaps --- enables the new bandwidth optimization for soft stencil shadows.

com_useMinorTics --- enables AI interleaving optimization for low FPS.

r_useParallelAddModels --- old optimization also known as "Frontend Acceleration", enabled by default in beta211-03.

r_frobDefault* --- controls addition of implicit frob-highlight stages.

decl_fix_mission_override, decl_skip_redefine_warning --- controls the rules for decl overrides.

dmap_tjunctionsAlgorithm --- new dmap optimization in FixGlobalTJunctions function.

dmap_disableCellSnappingTjunc, dmap_aasExpandBrushUseEdgesOnce --- enables dmap changes for better numeric stability.

• Like 2

@stgatilov I found an issue with screenshots and r10197. I'm sorry to bother you with this yet again.

Artifacts can show behind volumetric lights at the time of a screenshot. The attached screenshot is at Hazard Pay 3197.94 1807.48 337.08   9.5 36.6 0.0.

Using stencil shadows, the top circle shows artifacts (from the gate?) and the bottom circle shows that the shadow changed (or at least became darker). Using shadow maps, the top circle artifacts are not present but the bottom circle shadow did change (stencil shadows use shadow maps here as well, so that makes sense).

Note: The artifacts can be seen in game at the time of the screenshot, so looking at the resulting screenshot is not necessary.

hazard-pay-screenshot-artifacts.webp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found two objects with missing textures in 2.11 beta 1 (also, missing in earlier 2.11 dev asset versions). They look fine using 2.10 assets.

Are these actually missing textures or another issue?

1. Hazard Pay. Crumpled note. 2602.16 -275.42 -2215.75 40.6 67.4 0.0
  2. Iris. Trash can. 363.84 1181.95 -381.25 27.4 -142.7 0.0

Is there a way to automate finding these?

@AluminumHaste Using your getviewpos screenshot trick. Thanks! :)

missing-textures-2.11-beta1.webp

Edited by Daft Mugi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, datiswous said:

Hi my console shows #10189 . Is there a difference with #10190 ? TDM installer shows I'm using 2.11 beta 1.

#10189 is the beta 1 release. #10190 and above are SVN code revisions. These are not released as downloadable builds, which means one would have to build the source code and have the corresponding assets to use a non-released revision. At some point, a new beta will be released with a chosen revision. The current SVN revision is #10197, so the next beta release will likely be greater than that.

Edit: Welp, I missed "beta211-01 (rev 16656-10190)" mentioned above. Answered the wrong question.

Edited by Daft Mugi

6 hours ago, Daft Mugi said:

I found two objects with missing textures in 2.11 beta 1 (also, missing in earlier 2.11 dev asset versions). They look fine using 2.10 assets.

DR says the material is missing. Looking at file tdm_epi_shader_2.mtr (in tdm_textures_base01.pk4) (where the material originally comes from), this file is much smaller in 2.11 than in 2.10 and misses the material.

Maybe the file was cleaned up to only include what is in TDM core. Previously had materials included specifically used in certain missions?

Edited by datiswous

7 hours ago, Daft Mugi said:

Are these actually missing textures or another issue?

1. Hazard Pay. Crumpled note. 2602.16 -275.42 -2215.75 40.6 67.4 0.0
  2. Iris. Trash can. 363.84 1181.95 -381.25 27.4 -142.7 0.0

Is there a way to automate finding these?

@AluminumHaste Using your getviewpos screenshot trick. Thanks! :)

missing-textures-2.11-beta1.webp

I know this is unrelated so I hope it's okay I ask here... but what is that ground texture? Would fit perfectly in the FM I'm currently working on but upon looking I couldn't find it anywhere, looked both in the bricks and cobblestones directories.

On 12/3/2022 at 6:11 AM, stgatilov said:

tdm_blackjack_indicate --- raise arm up to indicate when blackjacking can result in KO.

Oh wow. I've been playing TDM since the time it was actually a mod for Doom 3, and I guess I always considered mastering KOs in this game to be something of a rite of passage, given there's always a chance you'll fail no matter your experience. Now you are able to get a visual indication of a guaranteed takedown, which I think is an overall positive but it takes some of the uncertainty away.

On the other hand, I will freely admit to save scumming. I would often save before attempting a KO even if I thought it would have a high chance of succeeding. So I'm trading lots of saving in a mission for an animation showing the chance of success. At least there's a cvar to allow for both styles, I like that.

• Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

12 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

I know this is unrelated so I hope it's okay I ask here... but what is that ground texture? Would fit perfectly in the FM I'm currently working on but upon looking I couldn't find it anywhere, looked both in the bricks and cobblestones directories.

Load up the map, in the console type setviewpos 3363.84 1181.95 -381.25 27.4 -142.7 0.0

In the console type r_showSurfaceInfo 1 and now you can see the texture name when you look at it.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Interesting. I'm on amdgpu on Linux / Manjaro but don't believe I ever saw such flickering. Closest I can say I've seen, excluding the quicksave flashing which I understand was fixed, is when turning the view around too quickly and a lot of portals loaded the whole place turned white or was invisible for a few frames. No black boxes like in that video though.

13 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

We went through this already remember? AMD updated something in their drivers and it was fixed.

EDIT:

Sure, but it never hurts to keep outputs clean.

Presuming you are using r_useNewBackend 1 go to glprogs/stages/interaction/ interaction.ambient.fs.glsl and try replacing the FragColor line with:

float lcolmax = max(lightColor.r , max(lightColor.g , lightColor.b)) ;
float diffusemax = max(params[var_DrawId].diffuseColor.r, max(params[var_DrawId].diffuseColor.g, params[var_DrawId].diffuseColor.b));
FragColor = min((vec4(lightColor * ssao * interactionColor.rgb, interactionColor.a)), ( lcolmax * diffusemax ));

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hmm

Try:

float lcolmax = max(lightColor.r , max(lightColor.g , lightColor.b)) ;

float diffusemax = max(params[var_DrawId].diffuseColor.r, max(params[var_DrawId].diffuseColor.g, params[var_DrawId].diffuseColor.b));

FragColor = min((vec4(lightColor * ssao * interactionColor.rgb, interactionColor.a)), ( lcolmax * diffusemax ));

FragColor = max(FragColor, vec4(0));

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@AluminumHaste, can you please toggle on/off some cvars to see if the issue depends on anything?
Except for bloom: don't disable it, or you'll get tiny black pixels instead of huge blocks 😉

Most likely some of the new shader code generates NaNs again, and AMD is sorta right by propagating it all over the picture thanks to Bloom.

• Like 1