The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.11

stgatilov

Question: is not possible to add an option (maybe only accessible via console) to force the use of a video adapter NOT actually connected to the monitor? In Vulkan this thing is easy (see GZDoom), but in OpenGL?

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

9 minutes ago, lowenz said:

Question: is not possible to add an option (maybe only accessible via console) to force the use of a video adapter NOT actually connected to the monitor? In Vulkan this thing is easy (see GZDoom), but in OpenGL?

Not sure but non-primary monitor support is not yet fully implemented in TDM:

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4430

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I know this thread is meant to stick to bugs introduced by 2.11 changes, but I hope it's ok to ask for the following to be fixed, since they are crashes.

1. Keyhole peek crash bug on Linux (https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5553).
  2. Crash during combat (Not sure if there is a ticket for that yet). This is easily reproducible in the Training Mission.

If these can be fixed before 2.11's release, I think it would really improve first impressions of TDM and really help current players who "iron mode" the game.

• Like 2

Keyhole peek crash bug: I'm sorry for not reporting it earlier! I first noticed it years ago in fact, but always thought it's just a fluke, especially as I never thought it could be platform specific. Can confirm and hopefully will be fixed before 2.11 is out.

1 hour ago, nbohr1more said:

Not sure but non-primary monitor support is not yet fully implemented in TDM:

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4430

Thanks but I mean ANY monitor, a VGA not connected to anything but just installed on the system with its drivers suite (but talking through the shared framebuffer to the VGA connected to the monitor)

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

25 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Keyhole peek crash bug: I'm sorry for not reporting it earlier! I first noticed it years ago in fact, but always thought it's just a fluke, especially as I never thought it could be platform specific. Can confirm and hopefully will be fixed before 2.11 is out.

You can peek through a keyhole in the training mission without Snatchers mod? Can you please tell me which door that is so we can test it with the mod as well?

1 hour ago, wesp5 said:

You can peek through a keyhole in the training mission without Snatchers mod? Can you please tell me which door that is so we can test it with the mod as well?

I'm not sure about the Training Mission, but some missions, such as "A Good Neighbor" and "Written in Stone", have peekable keyholes.

In "Written in Stone", there's a door with a keyhole at 1274.99 -2536.16 421.25.
Lean forward into the keyhole to peek.
I've attached a screenshot with the keyhole circled.

written_a7cfb7c80ad19609 (2023-01-08 16-43-46) (1274.99 -2536.16 421.25) edited.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Please open a tracker about the Training Mission with replication steps

Well, I have good news and bad news.
The good news is that I cannot reproduce the crash.
The bad news is that I cannot reproduce the crash.

It's odd. The crash used to happen frequently when I was learning combat skills on the Training Mission using 2.10. Today, I spent more than an hour trying 2.10 with and without a debugger and 2.11 beta 5 with a debugger. No crash yet. I also had a recent crash in the flooded section of "A Good Neighbor" during combat a few weeks ago.

This crash hasn't bothered me too much, because I usually ghost or iron-ghost missions. So, my playstyle is not to engage in combat ever. But I do engage in combat sometimes before reloading just for the experience. I mainly hoped it could be fixed for others who enjoy combat or iron mode, though.

I'll keep an eye on this. I hope it never occurs again, or I can get a backtrace of the crash someday.

(I am now better at combat than I intended to be. 😅)

On 12/27/2022 at 3:19 PM, thebigh said:

I've noticed in the latest beta that certain candles in holders are now start off lit when they should be extinguished. They have a flame particle attached to them but some of them seem to emit no actual light. Look at the ones in the store room and adjoining bedroom in The Outpost for example.

This bug is still present in beta 5.

It is random. To reproduce:

bind "j" "noclip;setviewpos <loc> <angle>"
  1. Start the mission from the beginning each time.
  2. Press "j" to teleport there.
  3. When the candle is unlit, there is smoke rising. When the candle is lit, there is no light emitted.
  4. Quit mission and repeat from #1.

A test map would be a lot easier to diagnose this than the noclip/setviewpos method.

Bug: https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=6223

Edited by Daft Mugi
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Daft Mugi said:

This bug is still present in beta 5.

It is random. To reproduce:

bind "j" "noclip;setviewpos <loc> <angle>"
  1. Start the mission from the beginning each time.
  2. Press "j" to teleport there.
  3. When the candle is unlit, there is smoke rising. When the candle is lit, there is no light emitted.
  4. Quit mission and repeat from #1.

A test map would be a lot easier to diagnose this than the noclip/setviewpos method.

I'll try to bisect this one tonight. Hopefully it was introduced in one of the dev or beta builds so we can pinpoint when it started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why does the keyhole work like that?

When I lean into it and try to look down, instead the camera physically moves down and my view is locked.

I can move the camera up down left right, but can't look around?

I can also cause the camera to clip into the wall this way.

9GNaMvW.png

t492XyS.png

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

44 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

I'll try to bisect this one tonight. Hopefully it was introduced in one of the dev or beta builds so we can pinpoint when it started.

It seems to have started with Beta 2.11-01. Here's pictures taken from three consecutive restarts of The Outpost, viewpoint coordinates (1007, 355, -63), (45, -136, 0) in a fresh install of Beta 2.11-01. All of these candles are meant to be extinguished.

candles.gif.d4f7f42b80591145268efcbeb6509ee7.gif

The problem is very intermittent. Sometimes it won't happen at all just by restarting the mission and you have to quit and re-enter Dark Mod to get the bug to show. I couldn't replicate it at all in release 2.10.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

5 minutes ago, thebigh said:

It seems to have started with Beta 2.11-01. Here's pictures taken from three consecutive restarts of The Outpost, viewpoint coordinates (1007, 355, -63), (45, -136, 0) in a fresh install of Beta 2.11-01. All of these candles are meant to be extinguished.

candles.gif.d4f7f42b80591145268efcbeb6509ee7.gif

The problem is very intermittent. Sometimes it won't happen at all just by restarting the mission and you have to quit and re-enter Dark Mod to get the bug to show. I couldn't replicate it at all in release 2.10.

Thanks! Would you be will to try 2.11 dev builds in the interim?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

Thanks! Would you be will to try 2.11 dev builds in the interim?

Sure thing.

I also have another problem, one that I think is only affecting me. Both these screenshots are from the mission The Builder's Influence. The first one is from Release 2.10, the second one is from Beta 2.11-01. For some reason the latter is using the in-game map from Hidden Hands: Initiation. This is very strange because it's a fresh download of TDM and I don't currently have Initiation anywhere on my computer.

BI210map.jpg.85f2a7e3e2d9bfd349c11e92909b9616.jpgBI211-01-map.jpg.06c50f881881ba4bfa84eec3948acd18.jpg

I think at some point map_of.tga got stashed somewhere- I don't know where, when, or why- and the beta version looks for it there but 2.10 does not. AFAICT any mission where the in-game map is named map_of.tga is affected. I'm on Linux Mint 20.2.

@JackFarmer do you know what's going on here?

Edited by thebigh
typo

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Just now, thebigh said:

Sure thing.

I also have another problem, one that I think is only affecting me. Both these screenshots are from the mission The Builder's Influence. The first one is from Release 2.10, the second one is from Beta 2.11-01. For some reason the latter is using the in-game map from Hidden Hands: Initiation. This is very strange because it's a fresh download of TDM and I don't currently have Initiation anywhere on my computer.

BI210map.jpg.85f2a7e3e2d9bfd349c11e92909b9616.jpgBI211-01-map.jpg.06c50f881881ba4bfa84eec3948acd18.jpg

I think at some point map_of.tga got stashed somewhere- I don't know where, when, or why- and the beta version looks for it there but 2.10 does not. AFAICT any mission where the in-game map is named map_of.tga is affected. I'm on Linux Mint 2.02.

@JackFarmer do you know what's going on here?

I believe I altered map_of.tga or a GUI reference to it as it was throwing console warnings. I'm surprised any FM actually tries to use map_of.tga as it is in core since it looks to me like a highly specific placeholder.

• Like 1

Aha! It's packed in one of the .pk4s. No wonder I couldn't find it anywhere by just searching for "map_of.tga".

If this is bad practice I'll have to release updates of two of my missions, as I just copied the way Builder's Influence did it.

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

What's going on here? This seems to be a recent core assets issue.

WARNING:unknown destination 'leftPageCurl::matcolor' of set command at                                   
/tdm_gui01.pk4/guis/readables/sheets/newspaper_bridgeport02.gui:83                                       
WARNING:unknown destination 'rightPageCurl::matcolor' of set command at                                  
/tdm_gui01.pk4/guis/readables/sheets/newspaper_bridgeport02.gui:87                                       
WARNING:unknown destination 'leftPageCurl::matcolor' of set command at                                   
/tdm_gui01.pk4/guis/readables/sheets/newspaper_bridgeport02.gui:97                                       
WARNING:unknown destination 'rightPageCurl::matcolor' of set command at                                  
/tdm_gui01.pk4/guis/readables/sheets/newspaper_bridgeport02.gui:100                                      
WARNING:Window 'BackgroundFadeIn' transition has invalid destination var 'leftPageCurl::matcolor' at     
/tdm_gui01.pk4/guis/readables/sheets/newspaper_bridgeport02.gui:117                                      
WARNING:Window 'BackgroundFadeIn' transition has invalid destination var 'rightPageCurl::matcolor' at    
/tdm_gui01.pk4/guis/readables/sheets/newspaper_bridgeport02.gui:122                                      
WARNING:Window 'BackgroundFadeOut' transition has invalid destination var 'leftPageCurl::matcolor' at    
/tdm_gui01.pk4/guis/readables/sheets/newspaper_bridgeport02.gui:133                                      
WARNING:Window 'BackgroundFadeOut' transition has invalid destination var 'rightPageCurl::matcolor' at   
/tdm_gui01.pk4/guis/readables/sheets/newspaper_bridgeport02.gui:136     

6 hours ago, Daft Mugi said:

What's going on here? This seems to be a recent core assets issue.

Stgatilov recently improved GUI console warnings, so a lot of mistakes in various GUIs have been exposed. I think it's mainly unused remnants from GUIs that these GUIs were copied/inherited from, as I suppose people would've noticed if they tried to use those broken components of the GUIs.

While trying to find a good map to bisect against ( smaller mission ), I ran into repeated crashes in "COS: Pearls 'n Swine".

Back trace:

pearlsandswine_bt.txt