The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.11

stgatilov

On 1/8/2023 at 3:06 PM, Daft Mugi said:

I know this thread is meant to stick to bugs introduced by 2.11 changes, but I hope it's ok to ask for the following to be fixed, since they are crashes.

1. Keyhole peek crash bug on Linux (https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5553).
  2. Crash during combat (Not sure if there is a ticket for that yet). This is easily reproducible in the Training Mission.

If these can be fixed before 2.11's release, I think it would really improve first impressions of TDM and really help current players who "iron mode" the game.

Thank you @nbohr1more and @stgatilov for fixing the keyhole peek crash bug on Linux, and thank you @stgatilov for fixing a crash during combat. It's much appreciated!

On 1/9/2023 at 3:58 PM, thebigh said:

It seems to have started with Beta 2.11-01. Here's pictures taken from three consecutive restarts of The Outpost, viewpoint coordinates (1007, 355, -63), (45, -136, 0) in a fresh install of Beta 2.11-01. All of these candles are meant to be extinguished.

candles.gif.d4f7f42b80591145268efcbeb6509ee7.gif

The problem is very intermittent. Sometimes it won't happen at all just by restarting the mission and you have to quit and re-enter Dark Mod to get the bug to show. I couldn't replicate it at all in release 2.10.

Replicated on Dev Build 10071 going back to a previous build

Cannot replicate on 9881, SLL beta map is also cured there

9944 replicated ( sorta ) no unlit candle in the room with a flame particle... It took quite a few tries to replicate this and again there were no unlit candles with flame particles. Only the candle bundle on the shelf was lighting unexpectedly. I was unable to replicate in the SSL test map. Gonna move forward to see if there is a build where the problem was exacerbated...

10036 was a full replication in The Outpost (unlit candle with particle, multiple candles) , SLL could not replicate as of yet.

9985 - I wasn't able to reproduce in The Outpost, but the SLL map has the symptom. Will keep trying but I believe the big problem started between 9944 and 9985

9981 took forever to produce the issue but it was a full replication. Going backwards...

9980 full replication after many tries, no SLL . gonna re-test 9979 ( this appears to be the one! )

9979 same behavior as 9944. Only a partial replication and no issues in SLL ( re-tested, same behavior )

I cannot see how 9980 would cause this? @Dragofer are candle entities considered AF for physics because of the attached particle? @stgatilov any clue why rev 9980 would make candles misbehave more?

Since this is part of a critical performance improvement I am hesitant to even consider any kind of rollback or removal in the final beta builds.

• Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I've noticed that the objective screen has a few issues.

1. The initial difficulty is not highlighted properly. I created a bug tracker and submitted a patch. https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=6229
  2. After mission completion, the selected difficulty does not match the objectives list. I created a bug tracker and submitted a patch. https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=6233
  3. The bottom of the objectives screen title can get cut off if the "gui_objectiveTextSize" is less than 0.94. I created a bug tracker and submitted a patch. https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=6234

Screenshot (issue 1)

1. shows bug (default not highlighted)
  2. shows fix (default highlighted)

tdm-objectives-screen-fix.webp

Edited by Daft Mugi
  • Like 2

On 1/16/2023 at 12:25 AM, nbohr1more said:

Replicated on Dev Build 10071 going back to a previous build

Cannot replicate on 9881, SLL beta map is also cured there

9944 replicated ( sorta ) no unlit candle in the room with a flame particle... It took quite a few tries to replicate this and again there were no unlit candles with flame particles. Only the candle bundle on the shelf was lighting unexpectedly. I was unable to replicate in the SSL test map. Gonna move forward to see if there is a build where the problem was exacerbated...

10036 was a full replication in The Outpost (unlit candle with particle, multiple candles) , SLL could not replicate as of yet.

9985 - I wasn't able to reproduce in The Outpost, but the SLL map has the symptom. Will keep trying but I believe the big problem started between 9944 and 9985

9981 took forever to produce the issue but it was a full replication. Going backwards...

9980 full replication after many tries, no SLL . gonna re-test 9979 ( this appears to be the one! )

9979 same behavior as 9944. Only a partial replication and no issues in SLL ( re-tested, same behavior )

I cannot see how 9980 would cause this? @Dragofer are candle entities considered AF for physics because of the attached particle? @stgatilov any clue why rev 9980 would make candles misbehave more?

Since this is part of a critical performance improvement I am hesitant to even consider any kind of rollback or removal in the final beta builds.

I have a theory...

Several candle entities start out lit and mappers add "extinguished" as an arg to start them unlit.

This arg tells the script to blow out the candle at map start ( seems like we could design that to work better somehow....)

If the extinguish action is interrupted during map start, the particle, light or both may be active on these candles.

I added a waitFrame() to init block in  the light holder script and thus far have not been able to reproduce the issue.

Please create a script folder in your darkmod directory ( or fm directory ) and place the attached replacement script there then test whether the issue persists.

tdm_light_holders.script

Edit: I should mention that randomly I am seeing candles smoke in The Outpost for the first time with this change. Before they would either be lit or have a flame particle or be fully unlit. Now I either see unlit candles (expected) or candles that have just been extinguished and are releasing smoke. ( A significant improvement )

More info regarding that candle bug-

I was playing Heart of Lone Salvation and took a gold candlestick with an unlit candle on top of it. The candle spontaneously lit itself when the gold candlestick was removed. This was in Andrew's room, viewport coords (1838, 4617, 228) (6 11 0) on beta 211-06.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

9 minutes ago, thebigh said:

More info regarding that candle bug-

I was playing Heart of Lone Salvation and took a gold candlestick with an unlit candle on top of it. The candle spontaneously lit itself when the gold candlestick was removed. This was in Andrew's room, viewport coords (1838, 4617, 228) (6 11 0) on beta 211-06.

That's an old issue with the design of the candle entity in this mission. We should probably fix the mission on behalf of Fidcal and if there is a core asset that acts like this then change it. ( always annoyed me too )

I am not betatesting 2.11 but upon playing some older missions with the latest beta version I noticed that when I try to minimize dark mod by hitting ctrl+Alt+delete and the choosing the process from task manager right click minimize, the game crashes.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, kin said:

I am not betatesting 2.11 but upon playing some older missions with the latest beta version I noticed that when I try to minimize dark mod by hitting ctrl+Alt+delete and the choosing the process from task manager right click minimize, the game crashes.

What were you using before the 2.11 beta? 2.10?

I don't have that option in task manager in windows 11, what OS are you running?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

34 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

What were you using before the 2.11 beta? 2.10?

I don't have that option in task manager in windows 11, what OS are you running?

Remember you have to click the "expand tree" arrow left from the dark mod icon in task manager to get the option to minimize.

Previously I used 2.10 with win 10 64bit and minimized without any problems apart from listening the menu audio during minimization.

2 hours ago, kin said:

Is there a reason why you cannot run TDM in "Fullscreen Windowed" mode and use alt-tab to return to the desktop?

26 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

Is there a reason why you cannot run TDM in "Fullscreen Windowed" mode and use alt-tab to return to the desktop?

I have never tried to play dark mod in fullscreen windowed mode (not even sure what it is). Is there a distracting border or a drop in performance? How do I implement it

5 minutes ago, kin said:

I have never tried to play dark mod in fullscreen windowed mode (not even sure what it is). Is there a distracting border or a drop in performance? How do I implement it

In the Video Settings GUI, the Fullscreen option allows you to select Yes, No, and Fullscreen Windowed as I recall. There is no border and performance impact should be negligible.

20 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

In the Video Settings GUI, the Fullscreen option allows you to select Yes, No, and Fullscreen Windowed as I recall. There is no border and performance impact should be negligible.

Damn, I had the wrong choice and didn't even notice that. Everything works normal now with Alt-tab. Thanks I must have been blind. Sorry wasting your time.

Edited by kin

Yeah that crashes for me also.

I run fullscreen so that I can run TDM at higher than native resolution, have a 1080p monitor but run TDM at 1440p.

Minimizing it in task manager as described crashes TDM.

Game crashes in FrameBuffer.cpp @ line 337

void GL_ScissorVidSize( int x /* left*/, int y /* bottom */, int w, int h ) {
    // get [L..R) ranges
    int x1 = x;
    int y1 = y;
    int x2 = x + w;
    int y2 = y + h;
    // convert to FBO resolution with conservative outwards rounding
    int width = frameBuffers->activeFbo->Width();
    int height = frameBuffers->activeFbo->Height();
    x1 = x1 * width  / glConfig.vidWidth;
    y1 = y1 * height / glConfig.vidHeight;
    x2 = (x2 * width  + glConfig.vidWidth  - 1) / glConfig.vidWidth;
    y2 = (y2 * height + glConfig.vidHeight - 1) / glConfig.vidHeight; <<<----------------Crashes here.
    // get width/height and apply scissor
    GL_ScissorAbsolute(x1, y1, x2 - x1, y2 - y1);

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF6712A5F1E in TheDarkModx64.exe: 0xC0000094: Integer division by zero.

Stack Trace
>    TheDarkModx64.exe!GL_ScissorVidSize(int x=0, int y=0, int w=0, int h=0) Line 337    C++
     TheDarkModx64.exe!RB_SetDefaultGLState() Line 82    C++
     TheDarkModx64.exe!RB_ExecuteBackEndCommands(const emptyCommand_t * cmds=0x000002cd723e9080) Line 842    C++
     TheDarkModx64.exe!R_IssueRenderCommands(frameData_t * frameData=0x00007ff6728840a0) Line 145    C++
     TheDarkModx64.exe!idRenderSystemLocal::EndFrame(int * frontEndMsec=0x0000000000000000, int * backEndMsec=0x0000000000000000) Line 648    C++
     TheDarkModx64.exe!idSessionLocal::UpdateScreen(bool outOfSequence) Line 2782    C++
     TheDarkModx64.exe!idCommonLocal::Frame() Line 2544    C++
     TheDarkModx64.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance=0x0000000000000001, char * lpCmdLine=0x000002cd562c8dc5, int nCmdShow=0) Line 1151    C++

EDIT: I get the exact same crash whether using windowed, fullscreen or borderless

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

On 1/22/2023 at 8:10 PM, Daft Mugi said:

There's an empty directory "fms/saintlucia" and a populated "fms/stlucia" directory.
Should the "fms/saintlucia" directory be removed from the core assets?

I think it's not worth polluting the code with fixing such non-issues.

The reason you got it in the first place is that you updated to some very old version, which had Saint Lucia of different name, then updated back. Another way is to update to TDM 2.00: then fms/newjob will be empty.
Also, you can create a directory "mydir" and create inside "tdm_myfile.pk4". Then run installer: it will delete the file, but won't ever delete directories.

If you think you own TDM directory, then you can indeed delete it and nothing breaks.
If you think TDM owns TDM directory, then just don't touch it: everything works fine!
So what's your problem here? 😛

• Like 1

Alas.  I got spotted again.

Just starting "Down and Out on Newford Road" with beta 7, entered the church in the first courtyard, and after a while heard "hiding will not save thee" and saw a builder searching with his hammer out.  Of course, the stealth score was firmly all zeros ☹️

Also, a strange map of some island has popped up as part of the last few missions I've played.  Don't think it's part of the mission...

Edit: @Dragofer, can I ping you on this one please?  Looks like there's still a stealth/alert loophole in the latest version 😪

Edited by Araneidae
Ping