The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testing 2.11

stgatilov

2 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Did anyone try 32-bit executables BTW?...
Especially the Linux one.

I just tested now. A few interesting results:

I was able to load all the largest missions ( Painter's Wife, Iris, Penny Dreadful 3,  BCD, NHAT v4 , Northdale 1, Written in Stone  )

Some of the larger missions would not render shadows in Shadow Map mode if you had a higher r_shadowMapSize value ( resolution ) than the default 1024. Painter's Wife required you to drop to r_shadowMapSize 512 for shadow map mode.

Many missions loaded with AAS32 out-of-date errors at the start.

Missions had AI that were properly pathing but there was an increased prevalence of AI going in circles in tight areas.

Not sure how valid this is because I have a 64-bit CPU and OS so Linux may be compensating somehow when the 32-bit memory limit is reached and allowing these monster missions to load?

Edit:

Tested the 32-bit Windows executable under Wine.

I was able load BCD with no issue and ran fine. Iris loaded but had very low FPS ( 5FPS or less ) at the start and remained pretty unstable FPS wise 20 to 40FPS. Painter's Wife provoked an emulated Windows Crash on load.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Can't help wondering if anyone still uses a 32-bit CPU or OS on a daily basis: I think that's about 15-20 years old now? Would be surprised if TDM still runs at decent FPS even on low settings, especially recent FM's with a lot of detail. Part of me finds it odd we still build one, though there's likely a few 32-bit players out there and no one should be left out.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:26 PM, stgatilov said:

I looked at it, and it is enabled.
And it seems that this is default...

However, I don't think it actually can handle larger than 2 GB addresses 🤔

Usually, processes can access about 3.5 GB with LAA.

On 2/3/2023 at 11:53 AM, Wellingtoncrab said:

While I like the change shouldn't the ability to toggle the animation prompt for the blackjack on and off appear in the main menu like the bow aimer or the frob helper? Seems like it will be one of those things that will not be for everyone.

@nbohr1more @stgatilov

Patch: https://gist.github.com/daftmugi/6b295feddf07a54bcd22e99e914f159b
For whenever.

Needs "#str_" translation strings.

• Thanks 1

I'm not noticing the blackjack helper animation anymore. I tried using "tdm_blackjack_indicate 1" and didn't notice a difference.

Is it working for anyone else?

Also, the following is in the console log.

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_weapon_blackjack.script(90): Thread 'thread_701': missing 'ready' animation on 'player1_weapon' (*unknown*)
WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_weapon_blackjack.script(104): Thread 'thread_701': missing 'unready' animation on 'player1_weapon' (*unknown*)

The console messages I posted above include:

missing 'ready' animation on 'player1_weapon'
missing 'unready' animation on 'player1_weapon'

And, the script file has:

script/tdm_weapon_blackjack.script
90:     playAnim( ANIMCHANNEL_ALL, "ready");
104:    playAnim(ANIMCHANNEL_ALL,"unready");

So, the questions I have are:

1. Where are those animations defined?
  2. What is keeping the game from finding them?

Edit: It looks like they are defined in "def/tdm_weapon_blackjack.def".

def/tdm_weapon_blackjack.def
143:    anim ready                      models/md5/weapons/blackjack_view/ready10.md5anim
144:    anim unready            models/md5/weapons/blackjack_view/unready10.md5anim
Edited by Daft Mugi

I believe this is called "Functioning as Designed".

If authors override core def files in their missions, then the missions will not incorporate new changes to those core files. The authors may choose to modify the def files as described if the new blackjack helper doesn't conflict with their intended design.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

18 minutes ago, Daft Mugi said:

Ooooooo, I found the issue.

Missions that override "def/tdm_weapon_blackjack.def" have the issue, because they are missing the "anim ready" and "anim unready" lines

Actually, I see the following list:

cauldron_v2_2/cauldron_v2_2.pk4 -> def/tdm_weapon_blackjack.def
   nobleaffairs/nobleaffairs.pk4 -> def/tdm_weapon_blackjack.def
   northdale2/northdale2.pk4 -> def/tdm_weapon_blackjack.def
   volta1_3/volta1_3.pk4 -> def/tdm_weapon_blackjack.def
   snowed_inn/snowed_inn.pk4 -> def/tdm_weapon_blackjack.def
   northdale1/northdale1.pk4 -> def/tdm_weapon_blackjack.def
   hazard/hazard.pk4 -> def/tdm_weapon_blackjack.def
   iris/iris.pk4 -> def/tdm_weapon_blackjack.def

And yeah, we can't do anything to it.
The missions work properly, so I suppose we should just leave it as is.

I wonder if we should have override-with-inheritance for def files, as well as a proper way to delete a spawnarg after inheritance?

• Like 2

I've noticed that the map icons are not showing in William Steele 1: In the North.

I tracked down the change that's causing this. TDM 2.11, def/tdm_shopitems.def file.

diff --git def/tdm_shopitems.def def/tdm_shopitems.def
index 38ba685..83a3074 100644
--- def/tdm_shopitems.def
+++ def/tdm_shopitems.def
@@ -337,7 +337,7 @@ entityDef atdm:map_of
 	"editor_usage"		"game map of terrain for player" // THIS ONLY SHOWS IN ENTITY INSPECTOR

"inv_name"			"#str_02203"	// Map - SHOWS IN PLAYER'S INVENTORY.
-	"inv_icon"			"guis/assets/game_maps/map_of_icon.tga"
+	"inv_icon"			"guis/assets/game_maps/map_of"
 	"gui"				"guis/map_of.gui"
 }

Restoring "inv_icon" to its original TDM 2.10 value of "guis/assets/game_maps/map_of_icon.tga" fixes William Steele 1: In the North.

ws1_no_map.jpg

ws1_map.jpg

Edited by Daft Mugi
  • Like 2

Revision: 16695
Author: @Dragofer
Date: 21 декабря 2022 г. 13:10:11
[REL] #6019. Fix some bugs that were auto-detected in 2.11beta03 (missing normalmap for audiograph, leftover material decl for victorian armchairs, incorrect reference to default map_of icon).
----
Modified : /trunk/def/tdm_shopitems.def
Modified : /trunk/materials/tdm_models_furniture_seating.mtr
Added : /trunk/models/darkmod/props/textures/audiograph_player_001_local.tga

I wonder what is wrong with using map_of_icon instead of map_of.
I suppose map_of_icon is low-res image, while map_of is high-res one?

• Like 1

Speaking of 2.11, I just noticed that there isn't a file download for this on ModDB yet. Will this be added or do you plan to only use the installer from the TDM site? Which as far as I remember was missing from the 2,10 ModDB version. I think it should be included even in an offline installer!

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1