The Dark Mod Forums

Original Soundtrack and Ambient Music

Famelesszero

We will gladly accept new ambient music! Thank you!

As mentioned elsewhere, Mission 1: A New Job and Mission 2: Tears of Saint Lucia are our pack-in missions and it might be nice to have a custom tailored score for them too.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

17 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

We will gladly accept new ambient music! Thank you!

As mentioned elsewhere, Mission 1: A New Job and Mission 2: Tears of Saint Lucia are our pack-in missions and it might be nice to have a custom tailored score for them too.

I would love to help you guys out with some original Music. Since I dont actually played the mod or have time to do so I could use some additional information for these 2 Missions. Maybe a small script of the Mission tasks with some Screenshots of the Town or the overall atmosphere would help alot. Sorry to do it that way. 

If you could provide me some Information, I would start write some Music.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Famelesszero said:

Yes, 

Excellent! I don't have screenshots of the first missions in hand right now but I've definitely studied a lot of Brosius' work (man responsible for the original Thief OST). He employs the use of a lot of reverse tracking, to layer into the mix. It's two fold as his work is usually supporting as a soundscape, just as much as it is a soundtrack.

The deadly shadows OST is by far his best work in my opinion. I've done only a bit of audio work in my personal projects and the best way I can describe the method is drone mood. More dangerous areas are overwhelmed by hypnotic yet dissonant drone, that has area relevant sampled audio strewn throughout. Samples might be things like bells, or scraping metal, or even incoherent whispers. The samples walk a fine line, as they need to remain relevant but not mislead the player as mistaken directional sounds from within the game. 

Less dangerous areas should be more calming in mood. My recommendation (depending on the theme) is to have two versions of the same track. Sharing the same theme and tempo but one handling tension and the other being more calm. These are extremely useful as well, since a single area may have the same theme but also share more dangerous sections. A tavern for instance, inside and outside. Outside theme would have semi hypnotic drones but the inside version (that the game would activate when the player heads inside) would be an alternate version that breaks much harder into the mix. This helps keep the area thematically wrapped up in a single track but with it's own sort of onion layers that the map script can toggle through.

It's less work on your end, as there's less to compose but it keeps the areas feeling very organic and memorable. This is definitely aided by knowing the theme to these sections. You then really control the reigns as to setting player expectations, based solely on what they're hearing. It definitely helps to know the intent of the project/level, so my recommendation is just to play the two missions and get a feel for it yourself. Feel free to message me or hit me up on Discord (Epifire#9773)! as while I'm no professional, I love audio work. I have some personal examples to draw from in a shelved FM I was heading off, so I'd love to chat more if you about the venture.

• Like 2

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

2 hours ago, Epifire said:

Excellent! I don't have screenshots of the first missions in hand right now but I've definitely studied a lot of Brosius' work (man responsible for the original Thief OST). He employs the use of a lot of reverse tracking, to layer into the mix. It's two fold as his work is usually supporting as a soundscape, just as much as it is a soundtrack.

What I also often noticed is that he likes to play with stereo effects, with the same "melody" or tones playing left and right slightly staggered and alternating left/right.

You can hear the effect at time code 21:40 in the video I posted above, for example. Also notice the often recurring background rumble which is in a lot of the ambiences in the Thief 3, Thief 1 and Thief 2 OST.

I think the guy is an absolute genius, by the way. And very versatile. E.g. he also did the soundtrack for SWAT 4, which is quite different to the Thief soundtracks (obviously).