The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Seeking Lady Leicester, by Grayman (3/21/2023)

Amadeus

56 minutes ago, Marbrien said:

I had a couple of bodies of people I'd knocked out which, when I picked them up and dropped them, behaved like they were falling through water, even though they weren't. Other than that I don't recall any technical issues.  What a ride!

Hey Marbrien, I'm glad you like the mission! To clarify, do you mean...

Spoiler

when you toss bodies down the Well in the Passage?

51 minutes ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

Yes - while you a holding a physics object you can hold down what ever button you have bound to parry/manipulate to freely rotate it across all axis with the mouse.

I would not recommend players play this (or any mission) using the unofficial patch.

Ah, I knew there must have been something like this! Info about it should be in the loading tips and I will add some to the key description of the Unofficial Patch, because it was completely unclear to me what "manipulate" was supposed to mean. Also this is the first mission I remember ever breaking with my current patch and I will fix that right now...

8 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Hey, thanks for playing, and sorry about this bug. This is something we knew about and thought was fixed (I personally looted the darn thing successfully about thirty times), but it seems there is something funky going on here. Will have to investigate for the 1.00002 patch

I would like to say I also experienced this bug, but given I already made a post about another bug, I didn't want to seem like I was finding bad things to say about such a great mission. :)

• Thanks 2

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

7 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

Ah, I knew there must have been something like this! Info about it should be in the loading tips and I will add some to the key description of the Unofficial Patch, because it was completely unclear to me what "manipulate" was supposed to mean. Also this is the first mission I remember ever breaking with my current patch and I will fix that right now...

This is covered in the Training Mission, and a handful of other FMs utilize this mechanic as well

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

This is covered in the Training Mission, and a handful of other FMs utilize this mechanic as well

It must have been years since I fully played the Training Mission, so it's probably my fault. As for the mission itself, very impressive! Although I didn't really like the jump and run part, I must have dropped down dozends of time ;). Also while I finished the mission, I couldn't open the big safe and the casket in the small safe. Can you give me any hints, please?

Edited by wesp5

I got that bug with the unlootable trophy pretty consistently while beta-testing.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

36 minutes ago, thebigh said:

I got that bug with the unlootable trophy pretty consistently while beta-testing.

Hmm...

Capped or uncapped FPS ?

Edit: Nevermind. WellingtonCrab appears to have a good lead on fixing this one now.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

13 hours ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

This may make sense in that the performance impact of the volumetric effect can scale with how much of the effect is filling the screen. We shipped with a “performance mode” but had to setup the entities by hand to do it (so it’s not perfect). If you change the LOD detail settings to “Low” or “Lowest” this will disable certain lights, particles and such that can be very heavy to render. You can try these settings and see if you notice an improvement.

If not sending us some pictures of heavy areas (with spoiler tags please) will be helpful with tuning these “performance modes” in subsequent patches.

Thanks for playing!

Spoiler

seeking_1516ff4cf6b6f449(2023-03-2506-08-36)(1175.952994_6136.26).thumb.jpg.c511b55ac537302b3865817657a51057.jpg

Spoiler

seeking_1516ff4cf6b6f449(2023-03-2506-05-00)(2671.281218.72-171.75).thumb.jpg.88136dcc490f40a0299958d477409ff6.jpg

17 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Hey Marbrien, I'm glad you like the mission! To clarify, do you mean...

Hide contents

when you toss bodies down the Well in the Passage?

No.  I didn't put anyone down there except myself, with fatal consequnces!  I think both AI were in the 'normal' realm.  One was definitely the bald helmetless bearded man who patrols outside the mansion door near the starting point.  I dropped him on his plaform area and he 'floated' to the ground with his arms outstretched.  There is water all around that platform but I didn't put him in it at any time.  The other AI was, I think, a male servant in the mansion.  I could go back and see if I can find him if it helps.

Arby is the first one I mentioned.  In fact he only seems to behave that way if I drop him on the small wooden extension on the west side of his platform, he falls normally if dropped on the stone part or the other wooden part.  It's as if the wood isn't there and he has fallen into the water.

I haven't found the other AI yet - either that, or he is no longer exhibiting the floating behaviour.  But I have found the trophy in the chest that people have been discussing, and I too cannot frob it.

Another AI is Harold, a City Watch guy who patrols one area of the dockside. If I drop him on or very near the wooden cart where he patrols, he does the slow 'falling through water' thing.  Drop him anywhere else, and he falls normally.

Edited by Marbrien
Update

Speaking of weird AI behaviour, when I blackjacked the guard in the police backyard, he wildly rotated around and as I took him to hide him in a dark area, he was named a corpse, so somehow he died on that chair :).

Also a technical question, I'm pretty sure the cool intro pictures are screenshots worked over by AI, but how about the fantastic portraits inside the mansion? Have you found them somewhere or are they AI-made too?

Edited by wesp5

The family portraits were generated using AI by Wellingtoncrab, using ingame screenshots of the characters as a starting point. It took a lot of iteration to get the appearance shown in the portraits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I remember I found it great that you implemented this, because personally I think the mechanic is not really needed in enough missions.

• Like 2

I've been playing this for a couple of days now, it's fantastic, though the street sections did seem to be making the machine chug a little.

It took me far too long to work out...

Spoiler

...what to do with the ghostly items (recursive shovel etc) - I even tried to find matching equivalents in the real world.

What I had to do with them finally clicked today and I wasn't honestly sure if it would even work.

If other people read this wanting a hint:  You might want to go for a little ride.

Thanks again, your efforts in making these things is greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2023 at 12:37 AM, Amadeus said:

Now that's a game I have not heard in a long, long time.

I haven´t played it before, Dark Forces I and II were long standing games  in my "I wish to play these some time" list, and I finally got to do that - I had a taste for something quick after almost 2 year of slogging through Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous (brilliant, but too long game - as I am getting older these 200h games are just nuisance and I ma getting tired playing them, everything up to 60hours of gameplay is just right for me), and Dark Forces 1 did exactly that for me - I was playing it at the latest version of the Force engine, which allows saves during gameplay, just like build games, and thanks to that I swiftly passed through it in 4 days or so.

After that I started Dark Forces II and I liked them less than DF1: the main protagonist´s movement feels clunky in comparison with DF1 and force usage and lightsabre attack are worse and more complicated than in Jedi Outcast.

I must say I enjoy the datadisk much more, as it combines few buttons in to one + have more usable force powers (the light side in DF2 main game is boring as fuck) + they finally introduced saber throw!

Plus after I will finish it, I can say I played all the games in Kyle Katarn saga :)

Edited by Tarhiel
  • Like 2

Now I'm not gonna derail this thread too much by getting into the Dark Forces games, but I will say I loved those games growing up and played them til the CD practically melted in the drive. Glad your enjoying it though, and now when you are done you can play SLL!!!

• Like 2

Spoiler

I reached entrance to the mansion a few minutes into the mission (!) via rooftops. I didn't like the idea of venturing into the house yet and decided to go back and explore the neighborhood.

Few solutions to make this route a little harder:

seeking01.jpg

• Remove the chimney that leads to the entrance.
  • Lock the door with a key players must first find, perhaps inside the mansion (make it a escape route).
  • Put a guard on duty in that bridge.

The surroundings are full of places to explore and things to do and I finally found a more sneaky way into the mansion.

Being used in TDM to narrow, fully lit corridors and cramped places I immensely enjoyed going about my business sprinting along the carpeted corridors and moving quickly through large rooms. Thanks for this "Thief vibe" I miss in TDM some times.

One complaint though, changing frobbing distance of doors breaks my flow completely. Some missions do it and it feels like I am not longer in control and must adjust every time. For a brief moment it takes me out of the experience.

The third act shines. I absolutely loved every minute of it. Other missions tried but none achieved this much. I want to know and see more about the Precursors! Their architecture and tech are awesome. Speaking of what, this mission has the best special effects I have ever experienced.

Seeking Lady Leicester is one of my favorite missions. Congratulations to the whole crew.

seeking02.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TDM Modpack 4.0

Congrats, a great Mission. I played it today for some time, but I think It will take me several hours to finish. Tomorrow more.

PS I fount a little switch above the lift in Lady Lancesters Room, I use it, but until now I dont find anything for what it is. I'll try also putting the candles with the same height in the secret room. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 2

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

1 hour ago, snatcher said:

One complaint though, changing frobbing distance of doors breaks my flow completely. Some missions do it and it feels like I am not longer in control and must adjust every time. For a brief moment it takes me out of the experience.

Hey Snatcher, I'm glad you like the FM! Thanks for the feedback. I want to note though that we didn't change the frob distance on any of the doors. If you are playing with unofficial mods or patches, there are scripts in this FM that could potentially break those, such as the frob_loot script. Again, I'm just going to reiterate that we do NOT recommend using unofficial patches or mods for this FM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snatcher said:

Thanks Amadeus for the clarification! Interesting because it did feel as if doors weren't as responsive as I am used to.

If you playing with your mod pack enabled I am not certain it is that interesting - as Amadeus mentioned we are overwriting some of the same script files as your mod.

Features you are probably used to using, such as the “fast doors” code which causes doors move_time to vary based off the players movement speed will not work in this release unless you modify the scripts in the mission directory.

Which we don’t recommend - but it’s your boat to float.

Edited by Wellingtoncrab

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =