The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Seeking Lady Leicester, by Grayman (3/21/2023)

Amadeus

20 hours ago, Dragofer said:

The family portraits were generated using AI by Wellingtoncrab, using ingame screenshots of the characters as a starting point. It took a lot of iteration to get the appearance shown in the portraits.

Wow, they look great and really fit the style of TDM, giving a Dishonored vibe! And it was so refreshing to see new paintings.

I have some more questions: 1) They guy giving you the mission in the intro is supposed to be the brother of Lady Leicester, but later on it is implied that her brother died of a chicken bone. Did she have multiple brothers or am I missing something here? Shouldn't the intro guy rather be one of her friends mentioned in her journal? 2) What's the story behind the sword in the stone painting and area? I know it is somehow connected to grayman, but did he use it in one of his missions or did he draw it himself?

Edited by wesp5

Thanks for the reply, Wellingtoncrab.

No mods.

In A New Job I can highlight doors just fine from a "3-crate distance":

newjob-2023-03-26-10-35-25-820-2-279-54-

In Seeking Lady Leicester there is no way I can highlight this door unless I lean forward.

seeking-2023-03-26-10-43-36-3434-15-1804

Same result for many other doors inside the mansion. Can somebody else perform this non-scientific experiment and confirm/deny?

TDM Modpack 4.0

In the passage area, if that's the right name for it, in one of the areas outside the mansion there is a tower floating on a rock island a little way off from the other accessible locations.  The tower has a single window, with what looks like a semi-transparent blue figure in the window.  Is that tower accessible?

@Marbrien Regarding the area you are describing:

Spoiler

It is not accessible but the player, but does allow the player a glimpse of one of Grayman’s not universally beloved but most remembered characters. 

4 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

Nice the safe with infinite Lockpicking, before i found the key. That was new 😆

Kids these days have no work ethic. I am certain you were just picks away.

6 hours ago, wesp5 said:

Wow, they look great and really fit the style of TDM, giving a Dishonored vibe! And it was so refreshing to see new paintings.

I have some more questions: 1) They guy giving you the mission in the intro is supposed to be the brother of Lady Leicester, but later on it is implied that her brother died of a chicken bone. Did she have multiple brothers or am I missing something here? Shouldn't the intro guy rather be one of her friends mentioned in her journal?

Maybe taking a closer look at the family portraits you were just admiring will bring some clarity to the family head count.

Edited by Wellingtoncrab
Typo

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

1 hour ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

Maybe taking a closer look at the family portraits you were just admiring will bring some clarity to the family head count.

Damn, you are right! I was in that other area and couldn't check, but I have now restarted the mission to find the things I missed last time. I always thought from her journal that Damien was just another friend because he was described missing for months which doesn't fit with the intro either, which comes off as if it was the other way around. Maybe you should rephrase that line and checking now, there is the servant's letter which I also assumed was about Kamila and not Damien. Of course Damien could have been lying in the intro and I am still missing the big picture, because the background of the mission is so complex!

Edited by wesp5

So after replaying from the start, I think I can give a more final verdict: what an amazing mission! Jump and run still isn't my thing, maybe I am too clumpsy ;), but again it is surprising what can be done inside of TDM.

Spoiler

I mean a whole part of a house flying by? The precursors assets are so cool, maybe we can see them used in other missions? This time I managed to find the casket key and thus open the safe, I also took a ride, fed the well and stole the inheritance. All of this I missed the first time around, so it's worth coming back if there are some open problems :)! I have one big plea for you though, please make all the precursors plates either go into the inventory or not be takeable. I thought they might be needed somewhere and tried to get them through the jump and run area, but with a plate floating in front of you, you are going to fall down even more often :(!

Of course nothing ever is perfect, so here are some small issues I found:

- At dockside 13 you can see out of the map through the stairs at the bend.

- Inside the coal house there is z fighing with the upper floor ceiling beams.

- In the newspaper the first text section clips into the advertisement below.

- Somewhere in a kitchen is a closed window with light leaking from outside.

- Probably in the same kitchen a big pot is clipping a little bit into the stove.

- Maybe you should rename "Lady's Manor Key" to "Lady's Chambers Key".

- There are some excess spaces in the Astrolux book: "operate today  s most".

- In the greenhouse there is some z fighting too, but maybe that's unfixable.

- I managed to climb into the generator island in the beyond and got stuck.

- If you move the board to open a door up, it easily clips through the handle.

- The investigation readable should probably start with a capital like all others.

- I managed to drop low in the beyond and could see upper stuff being hidden.

Edited by Dragofer
Placed spoilers in spoiler tags

@wesp5thanks for playing! Do you mind wrapping your post in spoiler codes where appropriate?

As with the

Spoiler

precursor

currency which launched with 2.11, the

Spoiler

precursor

textures and assets will be released CC0 at some point and authors have our permission to extract them and use them

Thanks for the feedback, a couple of points on these:

Spoiler

- Maybe you should rename "Lady's Manor Key" to "Lady's Chambers Key".

This would obscure the fact that the key can be used to open any locked door in the manor

- If you move the board to open a door up, it easily clips through the handle.

This is intentional - as otherwise the handle interferes with the board and it can be frustrating to manipulate

We will look at some of this stuff, but SPOILER tags, please!!! 

Edited by Amadeus
Edited to delete spoilers

I played for 20 minutes today.

It just looks fantastic. Whenever I look at the stuff from Amadeus, Bikerdude and my intimate enemy wellingtoncrab, I would love to delete all my stuff.

You guys really have it going on. If I were to really use the term art (and I don't like the term because in my opinion it's too vague), it would apply to your work.

Welli, Amadeus, Biker: I can't wait to see your next own missions; after that I'll probably stop mapping and you'll be to blame. Was it really worth it to scare away my genius? Grayman surely would not have wanted that!

Yours
Genius
JackFarmer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

@Marbrien Regarding the area you are describing:

Reveal hidden contents

It is not accessible but the player, but does allow the player a glimpse of one of Grayman’s not universally beloved but most remembered characters. 

Kids these days have no work ethic. I am certain you were just picks away.

I have a work ethic, but as an old retiree I don't have that much time left in my life

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

5 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

I played for 20 minutes today.

It just looks fantastic. Whenever I look at the stuff from Amadeus, Bikerdude and my intimate enemy wellingtoncrab, I would love to delete all my stuff.

You guys really have it going on. If I were to really use the term art (and I don't like the term because in my opinion it's too vague), it would apply to your work.

Welli, Amadeus, Biker: I can't wait to see your next own missions; after that I'll probably stop mapping and you'll be to blame. Was it really worth it to scare away my genius? Grayman surely would not have wanted that!

Yours
Genius
JackFarmer

Don't forget our High Script Master, Dragofer! Without him, a bunch of the fun stuff you see and experience in the FM would just be unrealized ideas!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Don't forget our High Script Master, Dragofer! Without him, a bunch of the fun stuff you see and experience in the FM would just be unrealized ideas!

Along those lines if we're talking about next missions we can't wait to see, I would do just about anything to play a new dragofer solo jam. Even before he was ever a master of the scripts, he was a master of the maps.

• Like 1

And what a treat it was!

Everything about the mission was most enjoyable from start to finish. I can tell lots of passion and care went into making this map. It shows. The mission is very atmospheric and impressive in all aspects I can think of. Verticality, several paths leading to your goals, extra objectives, hidden loot, impressive sound and visuals, tight stealth, and a gripping storyline. Instant classic.

The craftsmanship is sensational, with many new assets to make the mission very appealing to the eyes. The visuals are particularly stunning once you do the thing. The story was engaging also, with lots of readables to help the player unveil what was happening. It starts as a possible murder mystery in the making and turns into a murder mystery with a twist. I've got to give props for the writing, really. The characters came to life through their notes and journals and I really liked finding out their motivations and hidden agendas.

Completing the mission took me a bit over 4 hours, missed 1k loot, so there is another reason for me to replay. I did encounter a few small bugs, though all have been mentioned here already. The mission ran very well with all settings maxed on my old GeForce GTX 1660 Ti. No noticeable FPS drops or stuttering. You did a great job at optimizing it.

Thank you!

Spoiler

I completed two secret objectives - fed the well and stole the inheritance. Also killed all the ghosts in the dark dimension and helped lady Leicester pass on. Not sure if there are any more hidden tasks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2023 at 9:47 PM, Zerg Rush said:

Congrats, a great Mission. I played it today for some time, but I think It will take me several hours to finish. Tomorrow more.

PS I fount a little switch above the lift in Lady Lancesters Room, I use it, but until now I dont find anything for what it is. I'll try also putting the candles with the same height in the secret room. Thanks for the tip.

@Zerg Rush

The little switch over the lift

Spoiler

It sends the lift to the ground floor, it's because you can call the lift & jump on top of it, if you do that on the top floor you get stuck in a small space with no exit so the switch lets you escape without noclipping

Edited by esme
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kopfrkingl said:

And what a treat it was!

Thank you very much for playing and taking the time to write a lovely review, this was a nice thing to read this morning :)

Spoiler

EDIT: ah, there is one more secret task to find, but there are still plenty of other secrets for you to find ;)

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 1

Verison 1.1 has just been uploaded, featuring several bug fixes, some performance fixes, and a handful of gameplay improvements. Thanks for playing everyone!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Hide contents

As for secret tasks, I believe you got them, but there are still plenty of secrets for you to find ;)

Spoiler

@KopfrkinglThere is at least one more we haven’t seen any players trigger yet.

Edited by Wellingtoncrab
  • Like 1

Great mission, although I'm sure going to do another round, because of the little loot I've found.
It really dignifies Grayman and it's going to be among my favorites, along with the Black Mage.

3uu85P.png

• Like 4

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

38 minutes ago, Oleron said:

How do you light candles?

Carry the candle, then turn it (middle mouse button by default) so that it's pointing at another flame, then move around so that you light the wick.

• Thanks 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

1 hour ago, Oleron said:

How do you light candles?

In this mission, you can use the flint, which is in your inventory.

And, like @thebigh said, you can touch the wick of a candle to a flame. For example, the fire in the fireplace or another lit candle. The "Parry/Manipulate" action, which is used to rotate objects, can be bound to a key or mouse button in the control settings. The "Run" key (binding) can be held down to change the axis of rotation.

• Like 3