The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Seeking Lady Leicester, by Grayman (3/21/2023)

Amadeus

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Klatremus said:

I also saw a figure in blue haze staring at you through a window in a tower far away. There was no way to get there, but zooming in on him it was quite obvious.

Spoiler

That's Mother Rose. It's a nice little easter egg, referencing Grayman's Mother Rose mission.

There's no way to get there other than "noclip".

Ok so then I assume you are removing the three items in that faraway airship, and also making the two coins in the safe visible.

Yes, that is correct.

In that case I can mention a few more things I found:

Getting there, but there are some more

43 minutes ago, Klatremus said:

I now also found

Looks like you got everything as far as:

Spoiler

Secret objectives

We hopefully managed to fix the trophy in 1.1 - there was a conflict with the frobability with another chest - so it would behave strangely based on whether the player had opened the other container or not.

Thanks again!

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

Sometimes I wonder if I need to buy a bigger monitor and get some glasses to find all these secrets/loot people keep finding and I don't. Or maybe I'm just getting old. Anything other than suggesting I suck. :)

Also props to the AI image generation. Those portraits I was thinking looked really good... almost too good, as if they were taken from somewhere. I read @Wellingtoncrab's post on the subject so I know it's all training data from other artists but it was still effective. I've been a bit mixed on the use of AI assets but honestly in this case, they worked well and blended in with the art style. I think used appropriately they work especially well on artwork such as custom portraits which would be difficult to do well unless you're a skill artist.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

3 minutes ago, Xolvix said:

Sometimes I wonder if I need to buy a bigger monitor and get some glasses to find all these secrets/loot people keep finding and I don't. Or maybe I'm just getting old. Anything other than suggesting I suck. :)

Also props to the AI image generation. Those portraits I was thinking looked really good... almost too good, as if they were taken from somewhere. I read @Wellingtoncrab's post on the subject so I know it's all training data from other artists but it was still effective. I've been a bit mixed on the use of AI assets but honestly in this case, they worked well and blended in with the art style. I think used appropriately they work especially well on artwork such as custom portraits which would be difficult to do well unless you're a skill artist.

Don’t get hung up on the secrets too much, they are secrets after all and are just intended to be additive, not essential. Trust me, most of the “true secrets” are really inessential.

I don’t like to get to far into digressions about the ai image generation, but the thing that nags at me a bit is that when it comes to things like portraiture or painted landscapes lots of the meaningful training data would be in the public domain but when you ask about “ethically trained” models in the ai crowd a lot of the responses you just see are “You don’t get it, the ai is studying shapes and forms. You can’t copyright a shape! You can’t copyright a style!” as if it were impossible for something to be both legal and kind of wrong.

As useful of a tool it is, it’s hard to feel gung ho about it.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2023 at 12:13 PM, vorob said:

I'm getting some weird "boxed" glitch on light source and weird shadow line. Everything on absolute maximum. Tried to turn off experimental features and reboot via VID_RESTART, but no change. 

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - we were looking at this trying to figure out what was going on. We could not replicate it exactly but the volumetric lights and overlapping alpha effects do sometimes exhibit weird artifacts that pop up in other parts of the mission so I expect it is some extension of that.

Hopefully it does not hamper you enjoyment too much and thanks for taking the time to report it.

• Like 1

Having played one too many plain boring ol' rob-a-mansion mission, I didn't expect much.

However 'The Lady' has exquisite exterior architecture - more Castle/Fort like than most, the canal area surrounding it seems alive with its own nefarious sub-plots... Much to see and liberate - I'm only about 2/3 (?) of the way thru but I have the feeling there is STILL more in-store... But like a certain ornate cursed box, once you open it - Entertainment ensues 😉

My Rating: Stop whatever you are doing now and play it. (Unless its Iris...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another question which I'd completely forgotten about

In the bookstore tower near the beggar

Spoiler

There's a broken mirror on the top floor

Spoiler

As you look at the mirror, behind the mirror, down near the floor & to the left there was something on/in the wall that frobs does anyone know what this is or what it's for  ?

Oh and if you really want to go back

Spoiler

The mirror still works as a portal to/from the other place

• Thanks 1

Just finished this mission and wow I gotta say in great honor to Grayman and of course the rest of the team picking it up, this was something I've never seen before in any other TDM mission, especially visually wise.

I am so happy that grayson gave green light for other experienced mappers to finish his last mission. And what came out of this is really something special.

I'll put my review in spoiler tags since I'm now referring to critical mission details.

Edit - How do I put spoiler text here on mobile??

[spoiler] test [/spoiler][SPOILER] test [/SPOILER] 

[spoiler[spoiler  [sfah

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Spoiler

Thanks for the replies, gonna try those spoiler Tags again now for my short review (oh well it inserted one above my text now and I can't seem to delete it on mobile - this text editor is strange)

Spoiler

So as I said - this mission surely took a lot of work to finish in a way that honors Grayman and I believe that you achieved this in every way possible. Took me three evenings to fully finish. Especially the part in the otherworld was blowing my mind away as I did not have seen something like that in TDM ever.

In general the visuals were really great and the volumetric lights finally look good in 2.11. I'm not sure I like the wide open hallways and rooms. Surely they remind me of the original Thief map style, but on the other hand the mission felt really easy in terms of AI placement and spots to hide. I guess I should try a higher difficulty level next time and hope for more NPC guards to spawn.

For the story my attention span was a little to short, so I don't think I fully understand what happened there. This is a common problem for me if I need multiple evenings with pauses in between to finish a mission. But that's not your fault of course. Also I wasn't able to tell apart the names and ghost NPC s. I saw the nice painting on the wall but later wasn't able to recognize them as ghosts again.

Is someone able to tell me why there were alien ships and technology in this map? This was one thing I couldn't wrap my head around. Maybe I was missing an important readable.

Overall the secrets I found were nice and the mission flow was okay. I had the problem that I ran through the whole otherworld maybe three or four times until finally discovering the astralix somewhere near a bed. I did overlook its light effect when I passed by each time because it mixed with other lights around in that room, so I didn't really notice. That made my play through a little hard to enjoy since I didn't know what to do or what clue was missing to the astralix. I couldn't tell if I should somehow have freed the Lady - she still stood there crying. But since the objectives didn't seem to care about that, I left her crying and got back to the normal world alone. I did throw all four special items into the well but nothing seemed to happen that could free her too from this realm. I also found an ape best in the sewers but it was drunk and sitting there reading books.

One of the best parts was discovering Grayman's shrine which truly resembled his avatar. Plus the music there was heart melting.

I hope I can revisit this map on a higher difficulty next time and maybe grasp the story a bit better. Great job everyone! I  so happy that this mission finally sees the daylight.. I mean moonlight! :)

• Like 2

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Spoiler

No I didn't remember that there was a difference. However the well was fully activated. Could you describe what should have changed?

7 hours ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

@SeriousToni thanks for playing and posting your thoughts!

Hide contents

If you have dropped the items into the well your next encounter with Lady L should definitely play out a little differently - nothing happened when you approached her again?

Got a general dark mod question. If fan mission update is released do i need to start it for the beginning or i can continue my save from previous version?

Edited by vorob

5 minutes ago, vorob said:

Got a general dark mod question. If fan mission update is released do i need to start it for the beginning or i can continue my save from previous version?

You don't need to update if you don't want to, and also, updating the FM could cause any savegames you have to fail. So if you are in the middle of a playthrough, I wouldn't update the FM yet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friends, my claims will sound petty, I just still haven't found enough time to fully immerse myself in the mission. Hope to do it this weekend.

So, firstly, I met a duplicated and, as a result, a flickering window sill.

Secondly, I can't figure out what version of the fan mission I have installed and whether the update is needed or not. I understand that you can play without updates, but since I'm at the very beginning, I'd better update and play the latest version.

42342343.thumb.jpg.1bbac8844d90282ddf54620a6d8c7a76.jpg

Description page for installed mission says that I've got version 1.1, while the download list states that mission is version 4.

And the last remark, the page with the mission info don't fits right and overlaps on the OK button.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c0aaa347a9df3bff8b57ed913f09c1c2.jpg

Edited by vorob

@vorobThe versioning in the mission downloader works differently than the info/description which is just reading the a text file in the mission archive. Every time a mission gets updated the mission downloader will increment by one.

Release is 1. First patch is 2. Second is 3, etc.

If you have the latest version from the mission downloader, you have the latest version.