The Dark Mod Forums

How remove Win11 nag screen after sleep?

Fidcal

Setting up new laptop. Disabled hello screen and password so it boots straight to desktop. BUT after sleep it brings up a full screen nag. There's a full screen picture, something about widgets at top left, date & time in top centre. Below that 'everything you need' A swipe away. Yeah, right, except how to get rid of this nag permanently! Yes, any key removes it temporarily but I don't want it EVER.

Any ideas?

PS there are two meaningless (to me) icons bottom right. Daren't click them blind.

Use something else? Seriously, Microsoft basically declared war on their customers a wile ago. Probably when they did this.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/241587-microsoft-finally-admits-malware-style-get-windows-10-upgrade-campaign-went-far

Anywho, the point is that anything you do to make the modern Windows computer work for and serve you, will be undone by their updates. Designing interfaces to abuse and manipulate users and "wear them down" until they just accept what a company is pushing has become a literal art form; this practice is widely referred to as a "dark pattern".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_pattern

One example of a dark pattern, is giving you a "yes" and a "not now" selection of buttons, as opposed to a "yes" and a "no" button, perhaps with a "and don't ask me again" checkbox like we had in software in the 1990s.

Hint for any software developers out there, how do you know when your interface is abusive? If you wouldn't put those moves on the opposite sex, then you shouldn't pull them on your customers. "Hey sweetie, would you prefer to go out with me today, or next week?"

3 hours ago, Fidcal said:

Yes, any key removes it temporarily but I don't want it EVER.

You want to see the login screen directly?

Maybe this?

https://pureinfotech.com/disable-lock-screen-windows-11/#:~:text=To disable Lock Screen on Windows 11%2C open Computer Configuration,display the lock screen” policy.

Edited by datiswous

No, it's not the log in - isn't that what some call the hello screen? Maybe not. Anyway, I fixed that and it boots up direct to the desktop. No, it's on return from sleep mode that I get a new screen I've not seen before. In fact it's worse because I now find you have to swipe it up off the top of the screen but then it often reverts to the log in - even though I've DISABLED log in!

I can't find this screen on the net because I don't know what it's called. Maybe it's to do with pre-installed software. Well, if so, I've just about set up my basic config and I've blocked updates and blocked almost everything from accessing the net except what I need. The next step is to uninstall all the crap. Maybe I'll find that screen is gone when I do.

But I'm with Kano; he hates M$oft almost as much as I do. Problem is I've never found a Linux distro I could work with and I'm uncomfortable about the Mac which is software and hardware all controlled by one company (bit like Xbox and Playstation.) They are sealed boxes so who knows what they get up to. At least the Pc is more open and one can mess with M$oft to some extent. Oh,  that reminds me to switch off the camera and mic. I've already taped over the camera but I want to disable it in the device manager or wherever.

7 minutes ago, Fidcal said:

No, it's not the log in - isn't that what some call the hello screen?

What you mean is the lock screen with the login. The actual login method is called Windows Hello by Microsoft.

I think where you need to go in the Windows 11 settings is Accounts -> Login options (or something similar, I don't the English localization in Windows), and then there's an option there where you can define if Windows should ask for your password again after standby or energy save mode.

I used Win7 till 2019 and then I switched to Manjaro Linux xfce. A user friendly fast rolling distro. I still have win7 as backup in multiboot, but I almost never use it.

Btw. why did you upgrade to Win 11? Is it better than Win10?

Edited by datiswous

Yes, that looks roughly the same layout. So that's the lock screen. Not sure why in this case because sometimes I just swipe it away revealing the desktop below, and other times it reveals the log in screen.  I'll take another look tomorrow at the log in options and the options after sleep etcl

In answer to datiswous, I had no choice, the desktop PC I bought early last year had Win11 already on it, and so did this laptop I got today. The differences are not improvements imo,  but like most of M$oft versions they are superficial style changes with possibly better security but I can't really measure that. I'd rather have Win 7 then I could use Sharpenviro shell again.

OK, got it now. The lock screen is just to hide your work briefly for a selected time (can be set to 'never') without having to log in again. But makes no sense if log-in is disabled anyway.

Thanks, everyone. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use this one

https://github.com/hellzerg/optimizer to throw out all the crap of unnecessary telemetry and services, it's much more complete than W10privacy

With the netplwiz command you can skip the log in screen entering direct to the Desktop of your account. The nagscreen after hibernating, sleep only can be eliminate in the register, but iI don't know where, because I don't use hibernate as a waste of RAM and a lot of tmp files in disk.

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

newer used hibernate myself but mostly due to problems with it... tasks failing to start up again after hibernation or even worse drivers ugh. the optimizer works fine i must say as for completeness i think they are about equal w10privacy can block microsofts telemetry servers for instance while i cant seem to find that option in the optimizer which has a few other options that i cannot find in w10privacy.

With the good ol' GodMode you also can do a lot. The bad thing about Windows is the amount of garbage that it has by default, although the good thing is that all this is possible to eliminate, for which Windows offers the possibilities, although it is hidden and not documented, as well as many useful apps that few users know about, for hiding behind unintuitive names. 

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

taskbar in portrait mode on a pc tablet is cluttered so M$oft decided to make it worse by disabling the option to remove the calender/date in Win11. After all, nobody has a clock or calendar on the wall nor a watch so it's impossible to manage without these on the taskbar. Why would anyone want to prevent the removal of the clock/calendar? Did someone at M$oft sit down and actually think of a reason? I can almost understand the ignorance of forgetting the option in earlier versions, but why remove an option?

• Sad 1