The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Lieutenant 2: High Expectations by Frost_Salamander (2023/04/24)

Frost_Salamander

Just now, datiswous said:

Congrats on the release! I understand my beta play submission came too late to get me credited. No problemo.

ah sorry no not too late just forgot 😞 will add...

• Like 1

Great to see that you took my idea and made a connection to your other mission! You should now rename "In Plain Sight", and maybe consider to just call these missions "The Lieutenant 1" and "The Lieutenant 2" while moving the title into the description, as otherwise the name will be cut short in the list. Speaking of which, is there a way to have the mission list sorted strickly alphabetical and not with "A" and "The" ignored? Because right now it's looking rather confusing to me...

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1

Congratulations on the release!

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

Cool, turns out I actually completed "In Plain Sight" in February so hopefully I'll recognize the references. I have a feeling I'll end up lost in this one too but at least there's no obscure secrets to get annoyed about missing it seems.

5 hours ago, wesp5 said:

Speaking of which, is there a way to have the mission list sorted strickly alphabetical and not with "A" and "The" ignored? Because right now it's looking rather confusing to me...

I've wanted that for ages but I'm guessing there's a reason why it's coded to ignore "articles" (a, an and the) when sorting.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

The mission has been added to the Missions Database

For players who use the Fresnel Mod, something about this mission provokes a crash with it installed.

I have created a new version of the Fresnel Mod that works with this mission:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/addons/fresnel-mod-211-unofficial

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

OK this is a bit frustrating. I'm on version 2.11 (technically 2.11a) and not only is the inventory image for the "Map of Highborough" item black but the map itself is also black. Have I screwed up something here?

highex (2023-04-25 15-42-54) (84.15 -572.83 68.25).jpg

EDIT: Did some debugging. I did a condump looking for issues and found this:

----- idImageManager::EndLevelLoad -----                                       
WARNING:Couldn't load image: font                                              
  [map entity: func_static_29]                                                 
  [model: models/map_specific/symbols/H.ase]                                   
  [decl: font in <implicit file>]                                              
  [image: font]                                                                
WARNING:Couldn't load image: guis/assets/game_maps/map_of_icon                 
  [map entity: atdm_map_of_1]                                                  
  [decl: guis/assets/game_maps/map_of_icon in <implicit file>]                 
  [image: guis/assets/game_maps/map_of_icon]                                   
WARNING:Couldn't load image: guis/assets/game_maps/map_of                      
  [map entity: atdm_map_of_1]                                                  
  [decl: atdm:map_of in def/tdm_shopitems.def]                                 
  [window: Desktop]                                                            
  [window: background_map]                                                     
  [decl: guis/assets/game_maps/map_of in <implicit file>]                      
  [image: guis/assets/game_maps/map_of]                                        
    0 purged from previous                                                     
  194 kept from previous                                                       
 2679 new loaded                                                               
all images loaded in   6.8 seconds                                             
---------------------------------------

I opened the highex.pk4 file for examination. The game is trying to load the map images in guis/assets/game_maps, but it appears the PK4 has the actual location of guis\assets\game_maps\guis\assets\game_maps. There's a second level of directories added for some reason.

Edited by Xolvix

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

Hmm yeah.  I just checked the original .pk4 in the Github link I provided and it's fine there, but the version on the mirrors has the extra folder in it.

@Xolvix try running it from here and see if that works: https://github.com/FrostSalamander/fsx/releases/download/1.0/highex.pk4

@nbohr1more it seems there's an issue with the version on the mirrors...

I have fixed the package on the mirrors.

For some reasons Github was renaming files to their file paths when I downloaded the package from there

so had to repack the mission but I must have overlooked these. ( sorry )

I'll have to see whether different browsers behave differently but even now if I try to gather the package from github it is a mess of filenames that are supposed to be file paths.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

21 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

I have fixed the package on the mirrors.

For some reasons Github was renaming files to their file paths when I downloaded the package from there

so had to repack the mission but I must have overlooked these. ( sorry )

I'll have to see whether different browsers behave differently but even now if I try to gather the package from github it is a mess of filenames that are supposed to be file paths.

Thanks!

The file paths thing is strange - might it be something on your end though?  It's never been a problem for myself or any of the testers in any of the FMs I've done and they've all been distributed via Github. 

If I have to do an update I'll get you the file some other way, as the repack step just adds room for error.

I have a problem.  Playing on Expert, I went to the hotel first.  I have done the optional objectives relating to Atkinson, Burns, and Sharpe.  I have 866 loot.  I'm still getting warning messages about entering the prison, although I have made some limited forays in there out of curiosity. I haven't found the combo for the hotel safe. But I can't seem to find Coates.  The first post indicates he should be

Spoiler

in the church

, but the only people in there are Griffin and two of Coates' bodyguards, all now unconscious.  I have also been to his mansion and, as I say, to the hotel, and he doesn't seem to be in any of those places either.  Is it me or is something wrong?

Edited by Marbrien

2 minutes ago, Marbrien said:

I have a problem.  Playing on Expert, I went to the hotel first.  I have done the optional objectives relating to Atkinson, Burns, and Sharpe.  I have 866 loot.  I'm still getting warning messages about entering the prison, although I have made some limited forays in there out of curiosity. I haven't found the combo for the hotel safe. But I can't seem to find Coates.  The first post indicates he should be

Reveal hidden contents

in the church

, but the only people in there are Griffin and two of Coates' bodyguards, all now unconscious.  Is it me or is something wrong?

Spoiler

Yes he should be in the church if you went to the hotel first.  I'm guessing you've been to the mansion and he's not there either?

4 minutes ago, Marbrien said:

That's right, he's not in any of the three named locations.  Presumably, despite Coates enjoying disguises, the player should be able to identify him somehow otherwise they would be repeatedly failing the 'don't kill non-targets' objective.

it sounds like he didn't spawn - I'm guessing this is a bug although nobody experienced it in beta.

Can you remember exactly how you entered the hotel?

Spoiler

as for identifying him, he's wearing a red coat and red hat like it says in the briefing.