The Dark Mod Forums

Player Lamp (beta)

snatcher

2 minutes ago, snatcher said:

You maintain it for FMs and I offer it for general use. The more people toying with the lamp the more feedback / support we may get.

I noticed the lens part of the model is transparent. We need a modeler.

lamp.jpg

I was going to deal with that just by adding a new skin...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, snatcher said:

You maintain it for FMs and I offer it for general use. The more people toying with the lamp the more feedback / support we may get.

I noticed the lens part of the model is transparent. We need a modeler.

lamp.jpg

Link the model here and I will solve that, is easy (famous last words.... 😜 ).

To me no need to link the material or textures just the raw model. Btw is the model lwo? I can only open .lwo models in Modo my tool of choice.

• Like 1

Was this model made in DR? The uvmap is all over the place, meaning it falls outside the 0 1 area. 

But that is not the problem, the problem is that It add a missing face in the back of the lamp thing, so you could see to the outside thought it.  I put a face there that should solve the problem.

mod_playerlamp_model.lwo

Edited by HMart

23 minutes ago, HMart said:

Was this model made in DR? The uvmap is all over the place, meaning it falls outside the 0 1 area.

No idea.

23 minutes ago, HMart said:

But that is not the problem, the problem is that It add a missing face in the back of the lamp thing, so you could see to the outside thought it.  I put a face there that should solve the problem.

No joy 😟

lamp2.jpg

• Like 1

TDM Modpack 4.0

Perhaps we just have to replace this material with something less fancy.

Lamp3.jpg

textures/darkmod/glass/dirty_yellow_warp     // milky yellow transparent glass
{
	// Written by Tels, mainly based on 
	// http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/materials.php

noSelfShadow
	noshadows
	twoSided
	translucent
	forceoverlays
	sort decal
	glass
	qer_editorimage	textures/darkmod/glass/dirty_yellow_warp_ed

description "A dirty, yellow, reflecting, translucent material suited for glass panes"

// this block makes the glass distort what you see through it
        // one unwanted side-effect is that this effect does not stack
	// and distorbs objects in front of the glass, too
        {
                vertexProgram heatHazeWithDepth.vfp
                vertexParm  0  0 , 0  // texture scrolling
                vertexParm  1  .8  // magnitude of the distortion

fragmentProgram heatHazeWithDepth.vfp
                fragmentMap 0  _currentRender
                fragmentMap 1  textures/sfx/vp1 // the normal map for distortion
                fragmentMap 2 _currentDepth
        }
	// this stage sets up the alpha mask (it doesnt render anything)
	{
		maskcolor				
		map makealpha(textures/glass/glass1)
	}
	// now use the alpha mask to add some fake reflections
	{
		blend gl_dst_alpha, gl_one
		maskalpha
		cubeMap env/gen2
		// tone down the reflection a bit and make it yellow
		red     Parm0 * 0.2
		green   Parm1 * 0.2
		blue    Parm2 * 0.05
		texgen  reflect
	}
	// add our texture on top
	{
		blend   gl_dst_alpha, gl_one
		map	textures/darkmod/glass/crystal_milky
		red     Parm0 * 0.5
		green   Parm1 * 0.5
		blue    Parm2 * 0.2
	}

// This is the code required for frob highlighting this texture
	frobstage_texture textures/darkmod/glass/crystal_milky 0.15 0.40
}

I could try with different materials myself if the model was in ASE (or any other open) format.

• Like 1

TDM Modpack 4.0

I took your version of the model @HMart and managed to export it from DarkRadiant in ASE format and I changed the texture. I don't know about collisions or anything about models and I hardly know what I am doing but it looks a little better now, imho. v0.3 at the bottom.

Lamp4.jpg

Console command to spawn the lantern:

spawn mod:weapon_playerlamp

z_handheld_lamp_v0.3.pk4

• Like 3

TDM Modpack 4.0

• 1 month later...

I just stumbled upon this thread (because I saw that snatcher is involved which is always exciting ;) ) but I wonder why we would want a lamp that can not be used at the same time as a weapon? This brings back memories of the stupid Doom 3 flashlight which did the same thing just for jumpscares. So if you really want to show a visible lamp, can't the player hold it in his left hand while the right one is still free at least for blackjack, sword and to pick up items?

Edited by wesp5
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, wesp5 said:

[...] I wonder why we would want a lamp that can not be used at the same time as a weapon? This brings back memories of the stupid Doom 3 flashlight which did the same thing just for jumpscares. So if you really want to show a visible lamp, can't the player hold it in his left hand while the right one is still free at least for blackjack, sword and to pick up items?

It's a ton of work but sure, why not. In the meantime, think of Amnesia-like horror missions... The best example we have is Marsh of Rahena by @ERH+

Which one works best for you? The more options the better.

portable-ori.jpg

moveable.jpg

portable-new.jpg

• Like 1

TDM Modpack 4.0

Arguably, the objection to the flashlight in Doom3 was that it prevented playing the game in a run n' gun style that old Doom players craved. Doom 3 survival horror purists have rebuked both the flashlight mod and BFG exactly because removing the toggle decreases the tension and makes the game more confrontational rather than stealthy. TDM also prefers stealth but we usually rely on other mechanics to enforce it. Still, this is a neat option to increase the scare factor.

• Like 4

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 3 months later...

Could a special Monster-AI be added (or modified from an existing one); that are Photo-phobic? a 'Morlok' type creature that has great physical strength and aggression - but is totally blinded by even moderately bright light sources (oil lantern / carbide lamp? ect...) and forced to flee ( actually around corners / to dark spots).

Would be far more interesting than watching slow moving zombies lumber towards the player...as usual.

Sure the lantern is a neat prop - but what use is a screwdriver with no screws to turn?

• Like 1

I've idly wondered if you could have a monster that reverses the light gem. That is, it can see you in darkness better than in the light.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 3 weeks later...

That's basically how Infrared vision WORKS - the candles / lamps / Arc-lamp / Gas-lanterns all emit LOTS of infrared light & heat...them Morlocks are blinded by these unnaturally bright 'light' sources just the same as if you look at the sun... it could make it interesting if the light is strongly DIRECTIONAL , being a projector lantern after all - your rear isn't 'defended' by light-rays.

Actually having a skittish monster that wants to wallop the player YET, is very reluctant to engage from the front seems like a VERY Theif'esq universe thing...having them constantly run back or seek cover.

• 3 months later...
  • snatcher changed the title to Player Lamp (beta)
On 3/8/2024 at 9:14 PM, snatcher said:

Find attached to this post v0.5 of the Player Lamp, updated to 2.12 standards.

• The Lamp can run in parallel with other mods
  • Updated tdm_player_thief.def from 2.12

Download the pk4 and place it in your TDM folder. Launch a mission and cycle through the weapons. Nothing else and nothing more.

Playerlamp.jpg

Enjoy!

z_handheld_lamp_v0.5.pk4 189.53 kB · 1 download

Nice - did you find a solution for how to avoid it clipping into walls or other solid objects when coming too close? Off the top of my head there was also a need to handle its behaviour in case the player gets submerged, and various other ToDo's.

On 10/15/2023 at 10:14 PM, Melchior said:

Could a special Monster-AI be added (or modified from an existing one); that are Photo-phobic? a 'Morlok' type creature that has great physical strength and aggression - but is totally blinded by even moderately bright light sources (oil lantern / carbide lamp? ect...) and forced to flee ( actually around corners / to dark spots).

Would be far more interesting than watching slow moving zombies lumber towards the player...as usual.

Sure the lantern is a neat prop - but what use is a screwdriver with no screws to turn?

Yes, the stim/response system allows for this kind of thing. Easy enough to emit a custom stim around the lantern and put a response on all photophobic AIs to that stim. The response script would check whether the photophobic AI is within the lightbeam, then call a flee function on it. The main problem is that the flee function is unreliable if the AI is already busy with something else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dragofer said:

Nice - did you find a solution for how to avoid it clipping into walls or other solid objects when coming too close?

No, I didn't. According to @HMart it needs a hack of some kind? I don't know.

1 hour ago, Dragofer said:

Off the top of my head there was also a need to handle its behaviour in case the player gets submerged, and various other ToDo's.

Yes, some major and minor pending items. I don't think this one can be fully realized unless it gets a serious Team effort, including some source code support.

54 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

@snatcher can you upload this to moddb ?

Sorry but I don't feel like I am the owner, I don't consider it in a "good enough" status and I am not ready to support it. I contributed as much as I could and others shall keep working on it. I won't be uploading it anywhere else.

TDM Modpack 4.0