The Dark Mod Forums

Questions About Music

woah

I am a big fan of Thief 2 (I've Never played Thief 1, and I just wont comment on Thief 3) and I am looking forward to this mod very much. Everything looks on par or better than todays top retail PC games and seems to stay true to the "Thief feel" and atmosphere. I have great confidence in the team. Just looking at some of the screenshots brings back good memories, some of which I hope to re-experience through this mod.

One of the things that made Thief 2 so great for me was the music. There was just something about it that made the whole experience complete. I can still remember the "dreary like" music in the first level of the game that captivated me so thoroughly. I was just curious if you would be using such music (unless there are copyright problems) or creating some that is very similar--almost identical?

Ah, wow these are quite nice. ;) I can see myself playing Thief through many of these. There are only a few tracks which I feel unfit for a thief level. I don't mean to sound too critical, but my only intension is to provide feedback in which will help the team improve.

I find that anything that has any sort of distinct rhythm (sort of like UT2003/4 music) would not compliment the gameplay too well--anything that makes the player feel like they have to get into action or hurry. I feel that thief is about taking your time and thinking things through, and not feeling stressed to accomplish a goal in a hastey fashion. A steady beat like such in Deviginti, Caves (part way in), The Dark Mod Teaser (not sure if this is an actual track planned for the game), or the clock-tick rhythm in "The Clockwork" would make the player feel hurried and would be unfit for a thief game. Although they may fit the stealth theme, they seem like more of a sort of Splinter Cell game to me. Some tracks feel as if they have too much additional noise; such as "Inside the Mansion"--reminds me of Resident Evil ambience.

With the exception of those, I found the selection quite good, and I also feel that, with a little work, the ones that I pointed out could be made just as good. My favorites of the group would have to be Underwater, Outside the Mansion, Twins, The Clockwork (excluding the rhthymous ticking), Mechanists, Cathedral, Defiled Church, Dark Wood, Alienbirds, and Musicbox.

Lastly, I dont want to sound like I'm against rhythm or any sort of beat, but just more or less that I dont feel it is fit for a game like this.

I feel that thief is about taking your time and thinking things through, and not feeling stressed to accomplish a goal in a hastey fashion.

My feelings exactly :) .

and thanks for the input (even though I did'nt make it). Constructive criticism is always appreciated :) . hehe, Twins is my personal favourite too :D

One of the things that made Thief 2 so great for me was the music. There was just something about it that made the whole experience complete. I can still remember the "dreary like" music in the first level of the game that captivated me so thoroughly. I was just curious if you would be using such music (unless there are copyright problems) or creating some that is very similar--almost identical?

woah, i couldnt agree more. Thief 2 had this one music bit, it sounded like an organ from another planet, with notes that swelled and waned, really spacey and full of reverb. Is this the one you are referring to? It made my fucking hair stand on end, it did as much for immersion as any other aspect of the game.

When I was busting into a crypt or castle and it would kick in, the spookiness was heightened considerably. But somehow the effect was also thrilling, it was an alien sound but it kind of dragged you in along with it. I felt like this incredibly skilled, deadly thief, going into danger no one else would hazard. The music was very strange, but so was Garrett.

Ill download the OST tomorrow, forking Dialup.

I believe we're on the same note. My friend has the Thief 2 game at the moment. Otherwise I would try and extract the sound file and make a small clip. But anyways, I really hope there is something similar to this piece in this mod. Maybe a sort of "remix" could be done up.

Ok, I have the sound files. Unfortunately I dont have a website to upload them to. They're about a megabyte each. This brings back great memories...It's one of those music pieces you could listen to all day. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me with some hosting. I would really like to hear something similar to this in this mod.

I believe we're on the same note. My friend has the Thief 2 game at the moment. Otherwise I would try and extract the sound file and make a small clip. But anyways, I really hope there is something similar to this piece in this mod. Maybe a sort of "remix" could be done up.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the mod, we cannot use any sound files from any thief games, no matter how remixed they are. That doesn't mean that you can't remix them for use in your missions, but nothing of that sort will be included in the default set.

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

For those with T2, the files are

sound.crf/sfx/s01mel1.wav

sound.crf/sfx/s01mel2.wav

First, thanks for listening to the OST. As gimg already said, the songs released on the OST are more themes.. we have quite a lot of the short ambient loops already, and even more are on the way.

If it's cool with the others, we could link to a few of the short loops - you'll see, while we can't use the original ambients, we're trying to keep true to the style of the original Thief games - AND add our own spice to it. :)

Edited by Schatten

Hey, I just added a few more. I think m10sadQS might be the one you're thinking of. Actually I'm quite sure it is--it sounds exactly like you described. Kind of sounds like an alien, pulsing organ or something.

I might also suggest listening to Herechik.wav ;)

I'll have the FTP back up in the morning again around 10:00 am EST. I need to give this computer a rest. ftp://148.64.182.116

Edited by woah

That it! Damn I love that music! That music right there was one of the first things I fell in love with about Thief. In fact, let me tell my fiancee I found our wedding song, BRB!

*slap!*

Ok, bad idea! Thanks for posting that woah, brought back lots of good memories. Heres to DarkMod memories, yet to be memorized but much anticipated! Huzzah! :lol:

No problem ;) Although s01mel1 and s01mel2 are my favorites, that was also a very memorable music piece. It amazes me how each and every piece of sound in the game corresponds and harmonizes so well with the atmosphere. And the sheer amount of guard speech files amazes me! I certaintly didn't think there were so many in the game (There must be atleast 100 for each of the 6 different sets of guard type voices--and that doesn't include the hammers, the pagans, or any of the other groups!).

• 1 month later...
Guest KoHaN69
I just finished listening to the OST, great work all.  My personal favorites are Grand Piano, Underground, and Defiled Church.  Alienbirds is pretty cool too.

did thief have an ost?

i dont remember music at all