The Dark Mod Forums

Builder Guard Completion List

mrdes

Sparkhawk/Oddity - Yes the current glanceback animation is one where he'd get put into alert mode because he noticed something or saw the thief. I just quickly threw together a calm glancing back animation though, and he looks back for a few seconds then just returns back to his normal pose ("Eh must have just been the wind" type thing). Added it to my first post.

Yeah I never really noticed how he should probably grab his head at some point after the little stumble maybe heh. I'll fool around with it after and see how it goes.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be possible to do a calm glance back, or glance side to side, for even less time, as in they didn't hear anything at all, just a natural, quick glance around? Also, is it possible to do something like that with the upper body (torso + head) channel only, so that they could glance side to side or take a quick peek over their shoulder while walking?

Just about any animation that doesn't affect the legs (turning head, drawing weapon, yawning, etc) should be done so that it can be used walking or standing, or even sitting in some cases.

IMO sitting would be quite different because of the position of the arms. I doubt that walking and running would also use the same, because of the position of the arms as well. Running and sitting might even work, and walking and standing could also work together.

Gerhard

Well, things like head turning can be done whether sitting, standing or walking.

There's not too many animations that need to be done while running--guards aren't going to be yawning or scratching their cheek while running around.

Hey mrdes, thanks for making the file size smaller, much more accesible :D (encoding in divx or mpeg4 might get you better results though!)

brushchest2, itchhead2 and cough2, the knee's are snapping, and that's never good. Ingame it'll look like his feet are floating during parts of the animation. Even though Doom3 has the IK setting, you'll either get floating feet OR the knee's will be bent too much most of the time.

With handhip2, I'm having trouble believing the motion. I just don't see someone stepping forward for 3 seconds with their hands on their hips and returning to normal... I think it would be better if he didn't step forward, just shifted his weight.

Just finished watching the failedko2 one, it looks like he's being pushed more than someone's trying to hit him with a black jack. I'd suggest making his shoulders follow his head for the initial blow, not his head following his shoulders.

It seems you've got a really good grasp of animation though, I know people who have been animating for more than 4 years who couldn't hold a candle up to this. ;)

I'm going to live forever, or die trying.

Corth - Hmm I'm not sure what you mean by snapping but I think you're talking about how his weight is shifting. It does look choppy in some parts yeah. but his feet never leave the ground in these ones. What he's doing is comfortabley resting all his weight onto one leg that is straight while the other leg is a bit limp and slightly bent (but still connected to the ground). His pelvis rotates from one side to the other as he shifts weight, and this is where it looks kinda snappy since the straightened leg bends and the bent leg straightens in order to follow the pelvis bone. But both feet are planted during this whole little process. I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to though.

I'll tweak the failed KO one. It does look a bit odd now that you pointed that out. I'll take out the little step in the hand on hip animation and see how it looks as well.

Thanks for the comments and everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Heyya. I've finished a few more animations and I added them to my first post in this thread a few days ago too. (The quick sidestep/dodge animation and then the simple combat stance loop)

CVS is still looking pretty crazy to me heh. I'll look harder into it tomorrow though.

I'm not sure about the latest animation. It seems like a much too agile jump for someone in restrictive armour. My suggestion would be to make it more of a lean-step than a jump. It doesn't have to be quite that fast either. The idea is that the AI will use this when a character points a bow at them, so it's not like they're trying to dodge an arrow already in flight.

I'm going to start a thread elsewhere about the weapon issue, since we do need to decide how that's going to be done.

There is a thread for installing CVS, http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=359

but most people have run into problems at one point or another, so don't be afraid to ask for help. :)

Yeah, that's much more like what I was thinking. Nice work! :)

edit: How is CVS coming?