The Dark Mod Forums

Modelers/artist Role-call

Springheel

I know it's summer and some people will be away from their computers more than usual, but I'd like to get a handle on what everyone is currently working on. There are names on the art division list that I haven't seen in quite some time. Oddity, Corth, and our new animators, I know what you guys are doing, but I'd like an update from the following people--are you still contributing and if so, what are you working on at the moment? If you're wondering what to work on next, just let me know.

Diego

Alan9000

_Atti_

Darkness Falls

god_is_my_goldfish

KFMcCall

I recently posted some animation references: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=2245

(but for some reason the image links are now broken??)

Like I said in a different 'what am I up to' thread, I am working on an audio piece. Haven't touched it for a couple weeks, but will get back to it.

From a 'drawing' standpoint, I don't have anything to do. Do we need any concept drawings for anything? It seems like they're normally not very helpful. It seems the modelers are artistic enough that they crank out their own stuff. Which is fine, but just an observation. Even your thief concept wasn't really used, SH.

Lemme know if I should work on something from a concept art standpoint. Otherwise, I'll be trying to finish up the audio file soon.

We need drawings of all kinds of city details...lamps, signposts, chimneys, etc. We could also use some actual signs for shops...you can do these fairly easily in PS (just make sure they are sized in powers of 2). We could use stained glass designs, as well as religious-looking paintings, with hammer or gear motifs.

Another job is searching for good reference pictures online and organizing them in easily-browsable categories here on the forum.

It seems the modelers are artistic enough that they crank out their own stuff. Which is fine, but just an observation. Even your thief concept wasn't really used, SH.

Yes, our modelers are artistic, but they like to have some kind of reference or inspiration. The thief concept I did simply wasn't all that practical for modeling purposes.

I've begun some nice sketchings of areas of the city, such as the slums and the docks, though it will be abit before they're up to par. I'm also trying to get started on some nature textures, though i need to get them to tile properly before i can upload them for normals and such.

I can do some lamps and chimney's relatively easy, will work on those over the next few days.

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

i should be making missing low/hig poly for my models and upload them into ftp..well havent done much in the last weeks, sry

(party,fishing,planescape:torment(playin

g it for first time).. :rolleyes: )

here are the last things i uploaded

what things are there to model?(well i will take a look) i mean i will be back at the old models if the ones uploaded are textured or at least someone starts them.

I'll update the list of what needs to be done shortly, but one thing is here -- http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=1554&st=150

You could even reuse the books from the shelves you already did.

hi! sorry the absence, this semester was terrible! but i'm back, drooling and jumping in front of the pc for something to do! lol already posted a 'i'm back' post on that other part of the forum that i don't remember the name :D

nice to see you all again!

Welcome back, Diego!

SH - I think I understand "in powers of 2". But don't you mean that we should use 2^2 (2 to the power of 2), or 2^3 (2 to the power of 3), or 2^4, etc.? This would give us the standard 4x4, 16x16, 64x64, 128x128, 512x512, etc. dimensions I'm accustomed to seeing. I don't think your phrasing is correct by saying "in powers of 2."

Or can we, indeed, have 5^2 (5 to the power of 2) which would be 25? Or 9^2, which would be 81? Just wondering.

Also, we're not forced to make squares, are we? For example, could I make a 64 x 512 sign?

Just curious what the restrictions are.

I'm not a math major, so my phrasing is probably not accurate.

Your dimensions need to be 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512,or 1024 pixels. A rectangular shape is fine.

You must use 2 to the power of something where something is the number of bits to use.

So 2^64 would be a texture with 64x64 and 2^512 would be a texture of 512x512, but they don't need to be square, just a power of two number. So using the term "power of two" to much might be missleading. 512x128 would also be fine, depending on how the texture is used.

Gerhard

You must use 2 to the power of something where something is the number of bits to use.

So 2^64 would be a texture with 64x64 and 2^512 would be a texture of 512x512, but they don't need to be square, just a power of two number. So using the term "power of two" to much might be missleading. 512x128 would also be fine, depending on how the texture is used.

I don't think that's right either. 2^64 is the same as 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2* 2... with 56 more "* 2"'s listed. This results in a huge number: 1.84467441 × 10^19.

2^512 would be 1.34078079 × 10^154, another amazingly HUGE number.

I can't imagine there are that many bits or pixels in such a small 64x64 graphic. I'm too tired to try and figure out how to correctly verbally state what SH was trying to say, but I'll try some other time.

That's exactly the reason why I said using the term "power of 2" to much is not a good idea. :)

Textures are specified in pixel width. A texture of size 200x123 means that it has a width of 200 pixels and height of 123 lines. BUT! For a texture in games such a texture wouldn't be good or may not even work, because the dimension has to be a power of two. So it would have to be 128x128 or 256x128 in this example. Because 256 = 2^8 and 128 = 2^7.

Gerhard

For a texture in games such a texture wouldn't be good or may not even work

It would work, but the engine would resize it on the fly, meaning your resolution will look crappy.

Yeah. Some games don't even support it, because the gfx card can not work with such textures. Having the engine autotmatically resizing it, is batter than nothing, but of course this should be avoided, because it can also create lag in worst case scenarios, depending on the map.

Gerhard

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys,

there have been some major developments in my life over the past few weeks due to a new job so i have not been able to get on the computer for some time. i would still like to contribute what little time i have got to the project ...i know i have never been a major contributer as i have only managed to complete one character ..but every little helps

i am on with a cart at the moment and will continue to work on this in my spare time :D

• 2 weeks later...

So does that mean it's ready to be put in-game? If so it should be added to CVS.