The Dark Mod Forums

My New System Is Here!

John D.

Finally I got what seems to be the last kink out of the thing. As some of you know a few months ago my 3 year old E-machine finally keeled over for good. Unable to scrape the money together to get a new system anytime soon I slowly had to get a part at a time to build my own. I thought it would be a while before I could pull it off, but after nearly being driven crazy by my old HP (1 gig athlon, 256 of ram and WinME :o ) I bit the bullet and now have finally got the thing together! I used:

Codegen atx case

Gigabyte motherboard

512 stick of Corsair Ram

Athlon 2800 XP processor

Sony Dvd Rom

Seagate 7200 rpm harddrive

sony floppy disk drive

(reused old keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor etc)

Here it is! :wub:

mysystem21ya.jpg

Special thanks to the Eidos Tech Forum and Maximum pc forum, newegg.com.

I'm financially broken right now so it will take some time before I can make further upgrades or buy back Doom 3 and the other games I had, but I plan to get a Cd writer drive first and some other things. Right now I'm in the middle of putting together another Dromed FM that I started on while I was marooned with an old PC, but maybe I can start back on Radiant around the end of the year when that project is finished. B)

I dont fear the dark...the dark fears me!

Great job John.  :)  It's a great sense of accomplishment when you whip up your own system.  I also find that they work better when you put them together yourself....instead of prebuilt systems.  I better not jinx myself.

I hope this one lasts a long time, it's nerve wracking lowering the heatsink of a AMD processor into place and engaging the clamps, one wrong move and $100 bucks would have been down the drain! :blink: Whew! I'm glad the main part is over, now to get a burner and some accessories. B)

I hope this one lasts a long time, it's nerve wracking lowering the heatsink of a AMD processor into place and engaging the clamps, one wrong move and $100 bucks would have been down the drain! :blink:  Whew!  I'm glad the main part is over, now to get a burner and some accessories. B)

Once you're used to working on them, it isn't nearly so intense installing the CPU and fan. :) Becomes second nature. They're not nearly as fragile as they're made out to be...or maybe I'm just a soft touch. ;)

Once you're used to working on them, it isn't nearly so intense installing the CPU and fan.  :)  Becomes second nature.  They're not nearly as fragile as they're made out to be...or maybe I'm just a soft touch.  ;)

The a64 has a much better system, 2 locks and a bracket. Much easier and alot harder to smash the core, which Ive never done thankfully.

I did once pull a cpu out of its socket when it stick to the bottom of the heat sink. It still worked amazingly. :)

What gpu/vpu are you using?

The processor is a Socket A, and the Athlon XP 2800 is 2.08 gigs. Not the most advanced thing out there, but affordable and should play everything that's out now.

I've also discovered the onboard sound supports EAX in Thief 2, Nice! B)

The card is a Radeon 9600 256 meg that I was able to salvage out of my old system, it's been updated to the lastest drivers. It should do for now although I would like to upgrade to a 9800 next year.

I did once pull a cpu out of its socket when it stick to the bottom of the heat sink. It still worked amazingly. :)

Heh, this one time, someone I saw nudge the CPU the wrong way (can't remember what they did, tryed to remove it without throwing the release lever or something), but they lifted the CPU off, and all the little pins stayed behind in the socket. Heh, there was only one thing to say, "she's dead".