The Dark Mod Forums

City Reference Pictures

Springheel

Oh wow. That place looks really pretty. Nice photos. (And they just keep on coming... four posts! :laugh:)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Damn, I really like quite a few of those.

How is this even possible? So many bricks! I'd expect the bottom ones to crumble under the weight of hundreds of thousands of tons above them:

17mm8.th.jpg

Poles sure know how to lay brick. :) I may have mentioned this before, but I can't recall: great-grandparents from the Polish side of the family came to the US, settling in one of the many immigrant towns sprouting up from their own labor. Since recently becoming a virtual tourist (just pics online :-/) I've been amused to see so much use of brick in Polish architecture. The reason: that very same predominantly-Polish settled town is built with so much brick! It's obvious, but still fascinating that the immigrants came over and continued right along with the methods and traditional building techniques they know.

For some reason I love this pic:

22ah4.th.jpg

Very cool, especially the gutters running under the stairways. I may try to use this for a city area I want to do.

It must really be nice to just walk down the street and see so much of the stuff I see in pics from over there (and other countries).

31wo5.th.jpg

We have mostly crap in the US (well, at least in my experience). All "modern" basic boring (or worse, outrageous eyesores) business crap, nothing worth looking at. The nicest thing I have anywhere near me is Princeton University, and even that's getting modernized somewhat. It must be nice when even buildings used for a pub:

85767675ct1.th.jpg

look better than almost anything I see for years. :(

How is this even possible? So many bricks! I'd expect the bottom ones to crumble under the weight of hundreds of thousands of tons above them.

And they didn't crumble for over 400 years untill the second world war when the city was raided by Soviets. Upper parts of the church were damaged. Lot of what you see in pictures is actualy a reconstruction. sad.gifHere you can find photographs made between 1945-1948 in Gdansk: http://sabaoth.infoserve.pl/danzig-online/1945.html

Poles sure know how to lay brick. smile.gif

Well, the architect of Saint Mary's church was german... but who cares smile.gif The city was multinational untill after the WWII.

By the way, you might be interested in the largest brick castle in the world. It's situated in the small city of Malbork not far from Gdansk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbork_Castle

http://images.google.com/images?client=ope...sa=N&tab=wi

Unfortunately, it wasn't built by Poles smile.gif It was highly damaged during the war too. There was also a castle in Gdansk in 15th century, also built by teutonic order. When teutonic knights were driven away by Poles, angry citizens pulled down the whole building.

I may have mentioned this before, but I can't recall: great-grandparents from the Polish side of the family came to the US, settling in one of the many immigrant towns sprouting up from their own labor.

Cool smile.gif

Since recently becoming a virtual tourist (just pics online :-/) I've been amused to see so much use of brick in Polish architecture. The reason: that very same predominantly-Polish settled town is built with so much brick! It's obvious, but still fascinating that the immigrants came over and continued right along with the methods and traditional building techniques they know.

Red brick was more popular in Poland and Prussia than Western Europe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_gothic

We have mostly crap in the US (well, at least in my experience). All "modern" basic boring (or worse, outrageous eyesores) business crap, nothing worth looking at. The nicest thing I have anywhere near me is Princeton University, and even that's getting modernized somewhat.

Cheer up smile.gif While the old town is truly beautiful, it's surrounded by ugly blocks like we have seen in half-life 2 smile.gifhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaspa

It's only a model...

By the way, you might be interested in the largest brick castle in the world. It's situated in the small city of Malbork not far from Gdansk

Ah yes, by coincidence I just happen to have photos of that stored on my HD. It is just mind-boggling huge.

Malbork_zamek_zblizenie.jpg

While the old town is truly beautiful, it's surrounded by ugly social blocks

I guess that makes sense; when someone is there taking pictures, obviously they'll choose the nice things to look at. ;)

Anyway, I found the pics I have on: http://brodyaga.ru/

...which just happens to be another excellent site to add to this thread. Thousands of desktop quality pics from Europe.

For some reason I love this pic:

22ah4.th.jpg

<amateur photography critic hat>

Probably due to the strong diagonals and very effective use of perspective. Really draws your eye into the picture and gives it a feeling of real depth. Nice depth contrast between the ornate streetlight and the background behind it. There's no symmetry even though the alley itself is roughly symmetrical, which is good because symmetry is visually uninteresting. The presence of a crowd of people injects some life into what otherwise might be a pretty but stale backdrop, and further aids in the perspective/depth effect because you can judge the perspective effect by the way they get smaller down the lane.

And of course it helps that all the scenery is gosh darn pretty. As in Firefly-style "were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion" pretty. :P Strong, beautiful colours and architecture. Check out the carving on that staircase! And the cobbles! And the streetlight! And the people! Love it.

</amateur photography critic hat>

(My mother takes photographs as a hobby. I've picked up some rudimentary amateur knowledge. It's fun to play art critic! :) )

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
wow that's pretty awesome :) I'm definitely going to use this pic for inspiration!

Indeed.

Yesterday that picture induced a very fruitful mapping session and I'm quite pleased with the results.

:rolleyes:

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 1 year later...

That's Warhammer online. They had some great imagery both in CA-s as in the finished game.

City

Btw its just now as i look it strucks me how much the Sigmarite's resemble the Hammerites. And not only by looks(i think the original version also wears red), they too are fanatics:)

Not so on-topic but inspiring:

machinery

innkeeper

Well i dont want ending up pasting it all here so here it to browse.. On the bottom of page go to the oldest pages and keep an eye out for human-related pics.

WAR-Concept Arts

Edited by _Atti_

Thanks for moving this thread to the open forums. For a start, here are some inspirational pictures from my HD; none of them were made by me, so credit is to the original authors. I will post stuff from my own photos as well, but that will have to wait a bit.

storefront.jpg

citymarketplace.jpg

ghetto2prk.jpg

medstr001.jpg

medstr002-ruedragon.jpg

medstr003.jpg

medstr004-florence.jpg

medstr005-florence-1.jpg

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Part two.

medstr006-1.jpg

medstr007-1.jpg

medstr008-melnik-1.jpg

medstr009-trogir-1.jpg

medstr010-trogir-1.jpg

medstr011-trogir-1.jpg

medstr012-trogir-1.jpg

medstr013-trogir-1.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

And part three.

medstr014-trogir-1.jpg

medstr015-trogir-1.jpg

medstr016-trogir-1.jpg

oldquarter-1.jpg

(this was from these forums actually)

selmec01-1.jpg

selmec02-1.jpg

great pics melan, and thanks for the images Springheel. They are very inspiring for sure!

I usually take in game shots as reference, because you can't make every detail of real life. So, when details are gone what is left may not satisfy. But in games what you have seen that you can do (in smiliar engines of course).

districttepcio0015.jpg

districttepcio0014.jpg

A couple of images a friend took when she was in Madagascar. I liked the nested architecture on the first two shots and the church pretty much, so I thought I'd post these three shots...

post-684-127463898377_thumb.jpg

post-684-127463898947_thumb.jpg

post-684-127463899406_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the British genius TV series I saw this image of Faraday's lab which made me hanker for some nice bottle-shelf textures. Remember the horrible one in Thief? It's the Ramirez one I think where the shopkeeper takes a hit for Garrett. The bottles looked like wallpaper. I'd like to see how well it might be done in Dark Mod with a good bump map. Might need real shelving an inch or two deep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M_Faraday_Lab_H_Moore.jpg