The Dark Mod Forums

Menu Music

Springheel

Hey sound folk. :) Napalm is currently working on getting the main menu into the mod. Could you guys suggest an ambient track that you'd like to see playing during the menu sequence? It doesn't have to be the final one, but I'd like your recommendation on something we could use for the time being.

Do we have a concept for the menu? I remember you posted some screenies, but if I recall correctly, you said the background was placeholder material.

The menu ambient would depend on what's going on in the background, like the waves in T2X or the machinery in T2...

If we have some action going on behind the menus (UT / Quake style), a menu ambient would be more likely a theme or song.

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions that all have been answered elsewhere, but my time is somewhat limited atm.

I think we decided to have a city street of some kind as the "background". So anything Thief 3-cityish would probably do it.

But how is this sound going to be added to the menu? Because if we're going to have a Radiant made level, we could add the music and any eventual soundeffects in the map directly, with the speaker entities.

Then I guess there is some kind of option in the GUI editor to play a sound that way. If we're gonna have a lot of stuff happening on screen, guards walking by, torches flickering, carts rolling by etc, I think it would be wise to add them to the actual map file. More control over them that way.

Eventually the plan is to have a city scene in the background. We may not be able to use an actual map though--we're still not exactly sure how to do it, or how many details it will have. We might wind up with a static screenshot with just one moving model (a signpost or something).

My thinking was that some kind of score would play, and one or two sound effects would be heard--the creaking of a signpost or something. But regardless, all we need right now is something nice and atmospheric. Doesn't have to be what we'll use permanently.

Yeah, I think menu score needs a bit more going on. Something like the Twins would work.

Something else we'll need is a little button click sound. I think something vaguely metallic-souding might work?

Yeah, I actually tried around with that earlier. I imagine a small *shlick* sound when hovering over a menu point (like metal sliding over metal and finding a gap) and a distinctive metalish click sound for pressing.

We'll also need a "Menu in" and "Menu out" sound. I picture something like winding up a clock here.

Not sure about the menu in/menu out. We may or may not need that depending on how they go from one to the other. The other ideas sound good. Not too mechanical sounding, but something that suits the wrought-iron motif of the menu graphics.

I tried a bit with the menu score, but didn't come up with anything good.

Guess I'm out of the flow after listening to too many chip tunes. <_<

Anyways, I did a few menu sounds, but SFX isn't really my playground.

http://www.m-tex.net/schatten/mnu_hover.ogg

http://www.m-tex.net/schatten/mnu_inout.ogg

http://www.m-tex.net/schatten/mnu_scroll.ogg

http://www.m-tex.net/schatten/mnu_select.ogg

Well, if we do an active bkgnd then we would definitely need some ambient sounds to go along with the action. So, the music/ambient would need to be minimalistic. But, if we take the approach of a static background (hand painted/drawn by one of our fine artists!) then we could simply do the Thief 1/2 thing and have the ambient factory sounds. Remember that low rumble that would shake your subwoofers when it was played everytime you went to change something or save a game from the menu?

Just my opinion.... I have some things which might work for this, but I'll go back and listen to what was in the originals.

@Schatten: I really like the "chain" SFX for the menu. That's almost exactly what I had in mind. Great minds think alike, huh? ;)

-sax

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa