The Dark Mod Forums

Ingame Characters

New Horizon

I'm not confused, I simply don't agree with your vision of what the toolset should be, and I never have. That isn't going to change.

My basic principal is that we should only include in the toolset what we might have put in ourselves had we been making a hardcore stealth game from scratch, coupled with those things that can be considered 'intregral to the Thief experience'.

Aside from that, we should be making our own game.

We should not be attempting a 1:1 copy of Thief, even for the toolset, and if that means leaving out things that were in THief, or putting other things in that weren't there, then so be it.

I don't beleive that anyone on the team has that same attitude. Sure, you're fiddling around the edges, making changes when absolutely necessary for technical or legal reasions, but's that's your limit.

I may be outnumbered and outvoted, but that's not going to stop me being continually irritated by it, in fact, that makes me more likely to be irritated by it.

Where you're going wrong is in thinking that people will only be happy if we make a near clone of Thief, whereas I know that they'll be perfectly happy with a new Thief style stealth game. People prefer something new, not clones, and that goes for Thief as well.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not confused, I simply don't agree with your vision of what the toolset should be, and I never have. That isn't going to change.

My basic principal is that we should only include in the toolset what we might have put in ourselves had we been making a hardcore stealth game from scratch, coupled with those things that can be considered  'intregral to the Thief experience'.

We should not be attempting a 1:1 copy of Thief, even for the toolset, and if that means leaving out things that were in THief, or putting other things in that weren't there, then so be it.

I don't beleive that anyone on the team has that same attitude. Sure, you're fiddling around the edges, making changes when absolutely necessary for technical or legal reasions, but's that's your limit.

I may be outnumbered and outvoted, but that's not going to stop me being continually irritated by it, in fact, that makes me more likely to be irritated by it.

Where you're going wrong is in thinking that people will only be happy if we make a near clone of Thief, whereas I know that they'll be perfectly happy with a new Thief style stealth game. People prefer something new, not clones, and that goes for Thief as well.

Well, in the end. They'll have both. A thiefcentric toolset and a much more highly modified toolset to go with the campaign. I really don't see a problem with that.

My basic principal is that we should only include in the toolset what we might have put in ourselves had we been making a hardcore stealth game from scratch, coupled with those things that can be considered  'intregral to the Thief experience'.

The major problem is, that there are different views on what is considered integral for the Thief experience. :)

Yes. But we agreed to focus on Thief as the main theme.

We are already doing this.

Gerhard

WHat sword animations are need for the video?

I mean, there is no AI to fight, so there isn't much point in the player just standing there swinging the sword.

Just the draw and replace animations?

I re-animated all the bow and blackjack animations as well with the new player arms and weapon models.

I set a proper rig up this time.

edit: I did a couple of slashes anyway.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

WHat sword animations are need for the video?

I mean, there is no AI to fight, so there isn't much point in the player just standing there swinging the sword.

Just the draw and replace animations?

I re-animated all the bow and blackjack animations as well with the new player arms and weapon models.

I set a proper rig up this time.

edit: I did a couple of slashes anyway.

Yeah, I was just aiming to have the draw and replace animations in place but if there are a couple of slashes...all the better....although, like you said, there won't be anything to fight. That's fine though, as combat isn't needed. Just want to show the sword being drawn in a quick snippet. A tease if you will.

What's he asking you for. Why doesn't he send it to me. I'll have it in-game in seconds.

As for getting the scale right, just import one of the doom models to see the scale.

We can just use the pistol def file for the sword anims for now to save any work. It's just a matter of replacing the pistol md5's with my own, named the same way, which I've already done. You get the draw/replace/idle and one slash anim.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Well, its the bow you drew, so you would say that)

Looking at it in the video, I think I made the drawback for the bow too fast (again) but not being an archer, I'm not up on these things.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Hmmm, what was it encoded with? I can't seem to open it.

Weird, doesn't make sense. Media player says that there isn't an appropriate codec to view it. Gah.

Would anyone have time to encode it with xvid. I would really love to see it...unless it has been committed to CVS...in that case I can just download it.

Edit:

It's all good. Just needed an older version of DivX.

Dang dude, that rules. The bow, arm and bracer details look awesome. The framerate seemed a little slow, though, but that's more of an optimization issue or something, right?

People prefer something new, not clones, and that goes for Thief as well.

For games I seriously love, like Thief and a couple others, I'm okay with enhanced clones being released. Give me some new levels, new areas, a new story, and enhanced AI, maybe some new tools or something, and I'm good. There are only 2 or 3 games I feel this way about. The gameplay mechanics are already so strong, imo and for my purposes, that they shouldn't get F'd with too much.

EDIT:

* In regards to the guard-drawing-his-sword animation, that looks great, too. I especially like the jerky movements of his arms and head; it's quite realistic.

* In regards to the content of the video. The only way to make stealth look interesting on a promo video is to stealthily do something. For example, hide behind a hallway corner, peek out around it to see a guard walking, then dart across a lit area when he's not looking, water-arrow a flame then snag some loot. Or use the rope arrow to get into the rafters and watch the guards patrol around a beautiful, seemingly inaccessible gem. Or creep in the shadows as you watch a guard on his patrol or at his station. Scenes like this would need to be created in order to make the current build of the toolset/game look interesting. If it's not possible to make stealth look interesting at this point, then an action video would be preferable, imo.

You're right, but it's a tough call sometimes. I loved Age of Empires 2:Conquerors and although AoE3 looks great, several things will be different and I'm quite fearful of the changes. They took some things out, added some things, and possibly F'd it up, imo. Time will tell, but if they F'd it up then I'm gonna be P'd. If I'm P'd then they can shove it up their A's cuz I'll be pretty T'd. :D (...and we saw how T3 got F'd with.)

PS: See my edited post above.

I'm updating CVS wth the new weapons. You can't use the sword yet until diomariosu (or someone) puts it in the game. It should be pretty simple for now, just forthe video, it only has a lower, raise and one swing.

You'll need the new weapons scripts, def and mtr files as well.

- Emil Zola

character models site