The Dark Mod Forums

Curtains

DeepOmega

I just recently installed Prince of Persia (the first one) and they have some pretty amazing fabric effects on their curtains for a video game. They're very flowy and wispy, maybe too much so for how we'd normally need them, but thought I'd mention. When you walk through them they flow around you, etc. Anyone else seen them? I think we had decided before not to do anything elaborate for our curtains -- I think because of the resource hit we thought it would take? (can't remember) -- but maybe there's a better or secret way for modeling them that we just need to find out about?

To get the best results out of dynamic cloth, you need to make sure it's gridded properly. There shouldn't be any strips that suddenly collapse, or any unevenness to it horizontally. (This is for curtains.)

You can get away with only a few rows of polys - that's what this is. But it's really important that it's an even grid.

So, what's AF then?

I think we decided it wasn't worth the effort, since you rarely would have curtains exposed to wind anyway. We can always make one for later if someone thinks it's crucial, but these will do for most regular curtains.

Though they still need a rod to hang from. :)

Although..... hmm, now that you mention it, it would look incredible to see lightweight curtains flowing in the breeze of an open window of a moonlit night, playing tricks with your eyes and casting shadows on the floor and walls.

You saw movement... STOP! Is it a guard? Phew, no, it's just a curtain.

And remember T2 had that series of rooms connected by red curtains? That could be done so much better with flowy curtains. When you pass through them, the curtains react accurately to your movements. I should send a FRAPS video of Prince of Persia for you, or try to find one online. It's really cool.

But I think you're right, SH. We decided long ago to not do anything elaborate with curtains. Just food for future thought here anyways; since it came up.

Curtains2.jpg

curtains3.jpg

As you can see, they are normal mapped and textured. I'm going to do curtainrods separately. I think it makes more sense to be able to swap out the rods, as I can certainly imagine a few different styles thereof (especially since end-pieces will look different from middle-pieces in a wall of curtains).

So. Can anyone give me a little guidance for what to do next? I have a feeling the way I'd been doing it (putting it on FTP) is a bit out of date. If anyone can toss a link or just give an explanation of what the best way to set this up is, let me know. I can give an ASE and two TGAS though.

Detailed instructions here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=1559

If it's not too difficult (and I suspect it's just a slight change in PS), could you include another colour or two? A neutral beige and perhaps a green would be good, just so authors can match the colours of other furniture.

As for what to work on after that, our latest model request thread is here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?act=S...st=0#entry35195

Detailed instructions here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=1559

If it's not too difficult (and I suspect it's just a slight change in PS), could you include another colour or two?  A neutral beige and perhaps a green would be good, just so authors can match the colours of other furniture.

As for what to work on after that, our latest model request thread is here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?act=S...st=0#entry35195

Spring, that's got instructions on setting up the textures, but not where to put them (so to speak). FTP? CVS? Something else? If you'd rather take this onto IRC, I'll be there. :)

BTW, your crystal arrow and flashbomb models are two others we would like to get in-game, could you get them converted to .lwo as well?