The Dark Mod Forums

Great New Idea For The Dark Mod

Subjective Effect

Ok, I know you guys don't want to switch to the Source engine because of many different reasons but I just had a great idea.

Then I realised it can be done in TDM because of the D3 expansion - Resurrection of Evil.

Why not give the Thief glyphs that he can use like the Gravity Gun from Half-Life 2? It would rule!!! :D

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Oh, oh, oh, and guards with gas masks and machine guns, and big three legged aliens! Yeah, awsome! ;)

This reminds me of the first time I played Might and Magic VI <spoilers if you care>. It's a game all about dragons and wizards, swords and armor where you try to win the approval to visit the Oracle. But suddenly at the end of the game, you discover the Oracle is a computer, you find yourself on an alien space ship, armed with blaster rifles (but still wearing plate mail for protection) fighting automated robots in an attempt to find a "Control Cube" you have to return to the Oracle.

That was the most bizarre and dumbass twist I've ever seen in a game. They even did it again in the sequel.

That was the most bizarre and dumbass twist I've ever seen in a game.  They even did it again in the sequel.

They did the same in MM3, MM4, MM5, MM6 and MM7. This was always the point in the game where I didn't care to finish it anymore. It was always the same. You fought agsint monsters and at the end against devils. After that came the space ship. In all parts. In MM8 they managed to have a more "normal" ending, so I even plyed it through completely. Haven't played MM9 because somehow I never could make myself play it for longer than a few days. A pity, because I always liked Might And Magic despite these shortcomings.

Gerhard

Ok, I know you guys don't want to switch to the Source engine because of many different reasons but I just had a great idea.

Then I realised it can be done in TDM because of the D3 expansion - Resurrection of Evil.

Why not give the Thief glyphs that he can use like the Gravity Gun from Half-Life 2? It would rule!!!  :D

It doesn't require ROE because the physics is all in the SDK code. A gravitiy gun has been alreday implemented by another mod, much longer before ROE was announced.

And yes. We already talked about giving the thief some glyph/runepower spells, but decided against it.

Gerhard

The biggest problem I've had with implementations of physics or object movement in games is that everything seems WAY too light (ie not enough inertia and friction). They can be moved about way too easily.

In deus ex you could push couches about very easily and in invisible war barrels could move like hockey pucks.

I don't know if this was a problem with the physics engine or the data it was working with but I felt it detracted from the mood and feel of the game. One of those immersion breakers that i hate so much.

I guess it's a different situation with the dark mod because it's a toolset, and because it can be easily updated with better physics.

This is not a problem of the physics engine. It is a problem of the object definitions. The physics engine just takes the information from the objects and surroundings. If the friction of the floor is wrong then objects will move more or less easier and if the mass of an object is defined wrong the same happens, but this is not the fault of the engine itself. It's just lazy testing or ignoring the problem.

Gerhard

In TDS (and I assume IW), they had "humping," where you applied more impulse to stuff the longer you pushed on it, until eventually it flew across the room. D3 actually does the collision physics, so you'll be more likely to knock something back if you get a running start and crash into it than just standing there "humping" it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KoHaN69

Screw magic. this is thief.

I know thief a23 had magic, but very limited (to garret at least)

So no magic is a good thing, iff ppl want magic play PREY

But thief, he's ninja style! :ph34r:

No gravity guns please, I'm tired of them - stop copying Half-Life, or make the main character a mage and give him telekinesis, and from what I see now, this is stealth, not war, so forget about it. Or what, you are going to summon gold goblets across the room?

May the Abyss rule!

Shadow of the Serpent Riders fan.

No gravity guns please, I'm tired of them - stop copying Half-Life, or make the main character a mage and give him telekinesis, and from what I see now, this is stealth, not war, so forget about it. Or what, you are going to summon gold goblets across the room?

Exactly :)