The Dark Mod Forums

Tds Sales Figures

Vadrosaul

I always wondered how well Thief Deadly Shadows sales did. I know it sold for XBOX too, and I'm assuming it sold more units on the console, but does anyone have any solid figures for both platforms?

I heard that it sold more for PC since it originated there, but I have no figures to support that.

Let's face it, even if they had made a game as good as the frst Thief's, they wouldn't have sold that well, it just isn't a popular kind of game. Yes, the THief's have sold quite well if you add up all the years since they were released, but their initial full price sales were not great.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

It is definately a niche market, most gamers probably lack the time and/or patience for a slow paced stealth game like Thief, and prefer a few minutes of some multiplayer deathmatch action before they have to switch the machine off and work/eat/sleep etc...

No. Since WE are doing a toolset, we should make sure that this toolset allows creation for all kind of missions, not just the one you happen to like. A toolset is a toolset and it should be generic enough to limit freedom as less as possible and only where it is neccessary.

Gerhard

So they should be able to make a shooter mission set on future Mars? Make a space fighter mission set in Star Wars? Make an RPG set in ancient Greece?

Of course not - we have to set limits, and it's just a matter of where those limits are set.

THe exact meaning of 'necessary' in this case is up for debate.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

So they should be able to make a shooter mission set on future Mars? Make a space fighter mission set in Star Wars? Make an RPG set in ancient Greece?

And what exactly would be the problem with that? If people want to do a space shooter with sneaking using our code they can do it. The just have to replace the textures and create the models they need.

i don't know why you are so worried that poeple can use our stuff to create something that we didn't think of ourselve.

Ishtvan did a great job with his soundprops code, but if somebody comes along and starts to use the same code to propagate lightwaves with it, or some entirely different crazy stuff we can't imagine yet, then guess what I would say. I would say that Isht did an even much better job with his code BECAUSE it can be "abused" to do entirely differnt things it was designed for, without changing it, and I would say "Great Job!" for the other guy to find new and creative ways to use the existing resources.

And if we can plugin in our DLL and play the original D3 missions with it, then I would also say we did a good job (though I don't think this likely in this case), because it means we are NOT limited to one specific set of missions that we designed it for.

We are providing code for stealthing a game, and if poeple create such games with it, but doing it in some different environment than a medevial thiefing setting, that's still fine for me.

What you don't seem to get is, that we are creating a toolset, and a toolset is by it's very nature not limited, but generic. That doesn't mean we have to actively support all this different stuff that people may want to do, but it also doesn't mean that we have to restrict it to this either.

Gerhard

Of course not - we have to set limits, and it's just a matter of where those limits are set.

THe exact meaning of 'necessary' in this case is up for debate.

I am actually planning on using the toolset for one of either: A stealth based thievery game set in Ancient Rome, complete with dialogue in Classical Latin (I will need to assemble a whole mod team for that, so it might not happen); a Stealth based sci-fi adventure game largely inspired by the old Core Design graphic adventure Universe; or something else entirely. I am not planning on releasing many missions based on Thief (I have a Mission trilogy worked out on paper, but that is it), I will leave that to others.

So the more generic the Toolset, the better as far as I am concerned. A limited toolset is of no use to anyone - by all means limit the content that comes with it, but limiting the toolset itself is like making an electric drill that only takes one size of drill bit because you only hapen to want that size yourself, instead of making one with an adjustable chuck. You never know what you might want to do later on, so keeping your options open is wise. If you are going to publicly release a tool, there is no point doing so unless it is going to be as flexible as possible.

Would you use Lightwave if it only offered modelling with cubic primitives, with no splines or patches or booleans etc? Of course not. You would use Lightwave because it is an open ended tool that allows for a great diversity of modelling, animation and rendering possibilities.

Newtek started out with the goal of creatng such a modeling application. We started with the goal of making a toolset for the creation of Thief like FMs, not making a swiss army knife.

id's doom editor is the swiss army knife, and we're using that knife to carve a Thief inspired toolset. IF you want to make some of those mods you're talking about, then you should be using the doom editor, not waiting for the Dark Mod.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Well, there is some general stuff that people could pretty easily re-use in their own mods, but it would have taken an individual a long time to code themselves. I'm talking about stuff like mantling and leaning, lightgem, sound prop, etc. Basically the "stealth engine" part of it, with all other gameplay removed, would be a huge help to people creating stealth mods in other settings, if I don't say so myself.

We're always willing to exchange code with other mods too, like how we incorporated the water physics and graphics (that was a standalone mod). That's how the mod community stays alive, otherwise if everyone had to code every single part of their mod, it would take a lot longer.