The Dark Mod Forums

Mapping Position...

TrevP

Hi there, I would be interested in applying for a mapping position, should there be one available.

I'm semi-experienced with Radiant (having done some random hobby mapping for quake1, 2, and 3) and have done a few exercises in Doom3ed. Things have stayed pretty much the same in terms of construction I see. I'm also an avid fan of the Thief games, particularily Thief II. Anyway, if you guys are looking for a bit of help in the mapping department, I'd be glad to offer some.

I only have a few remaining screens from my quake [3] days, but architecturally speaking, I think they fit the bill.

Screen 1

Screen 2

Screen 3

Screen 4

Anyway, I could crank out something with d3ed, but it's kind of hard using the stock doom3 textures, so I haven't yet.

The great thing about D3 mapping is that you can go all out crazy on detail, so for example my current mansion map has full translucent windows, it makes for an excellent effect. If you enjoy mapping, i think you'll really enjoy seeing the results doom3 gives, though i can tell you, it takes a bloody long time to optimize a doom3 map. If you have'nt already, you could go and check out doom3world.org for tutorials on mapping for doom3, it takes a while to get used to but its much more fun to map for then say UT or quake. It'd be real cool to see those kinds of maps in doom3 but with high res and all. anyways, just a few words from me. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've just been reading about the differences between "Beta mappers" and "Team mappers" in Squill's application thread and am wondering if people can migrate between the two, i.e. apply as a beta mapper and then upgrade to a team mapper at a later stage (if they are good enough)? I've been doing some Thief-like maps in D3 which are nowhere near good enough to be campaign maps, but it would be a lot more inspiring to develop them from the point of view of a Thief rather than running around with your fists and machine gun.

"upgrading" is certainly possible, though I wouldn't call it Upgrade. :) That sounds as if Beta Mappers are inferior, which they certainly are not. It's just that beta mappers either can't spend as much time as a team mapper is expected to, or simply want to do their own stuff instead of working for the mod itself. From the quality point of view I must say that I'm rather impressed with what our beta mappers produced so far.

Gerhard

What!?! of course beta mappers are inferior!!! :P

no not really lol. Gleeful for one kicks my ass atm, so yeah, the only difference is that i as a team mapper will have rings under my eyes when we make the campaign, while the beta mappers will laugh at me and sleep, or make their maps etc. So its really the choice of the mapper if he wants to work on the campaign or just experiment with the toolset. Gleeful is making his own 6 mission campaign for example, so yeah, in a beta mapper position you get more "freedom" if you will. Their disadvantage however is that they get an updated build of the mod every 6 months or so, while team members use cvs to update their version on the fly (updates the files that they have different). also, demigod has been working on some pretty nifty particle effects, so as a beta mapper you dont just have to map or whatever. im using some of his particles atm hehehe

also, demigod has been working on some pretty nifty particle effects, so as a beta mapper you dont just have to map or whatever. im using some of his particles atm hehehe

The division of labour in a mod (or even a full-blown game) like this has always interested me - for example, if a mapper has a need for a new model in his map, does he have to raise a request for a modeller to produce it, or can he just create one himself? I remember oDDity saying that they have loads of modellers but not enough skinners, which I find surprising since to me creating the model and its associated texture are one and the same process.

The division of labour in a mod (or even a full-blown game) like this has always interested me - for example, if a mapper has a need for a new model in his map, does he have to raise a request for a modeller to produce it, or can he just create one himself? I remember oDDity saying that they have loads of modellers but not enough skinners, which I find surprising since to me creating the model and its associated texture are one and the same process.

The workflow depends on why the model is needed. And of course, even though we try to work rather professionally, there is still a big difference between a workflow in a gamedevelopment company and a free time mod distributed over the world. Which doesn't mean that we are less professional about it, but different.

The question is why the mapper would need the model. Does he need it, because he needs to se eif it fits through some certain doorsize? Or is it becaus he needs to do a PR shot? Or is it because he needs to check if the model fits the environment in his map? Depending on the situation he can either do the model himself, or he will ask a modeller. And of course, it also depends on his skills. A mapper is a mapper and doesn't need to be a good modeller. So even if he can make models, it still doesn't mean that this model fits the overall artistic style.

The problem with modelers is that they don't need to be texture artists either, or animators for that matter. In a professional workflow this is usually also a different position. The modeller makes the models and nothing else. The texture artists will do the skinning, and the animator will do the animations. Of course these positions can be the same person, but they don't need to be.

Gerhard