The Dark Mod Forums

Really Old Menu Concepts

pakmannen

Well, I was looking through the concept art list thread and found this in the Menu concept thread. I just realized I never actually uploaded these pics.

We already decided not to go with the "Morrowind" look, but I thought I'd post 'em here anyway, just for fun. :) I do like my "loading screen" image though (featuring Goldfish's Thief pic). Maybe it could be useful for something somewhere. Anyway, here they are (all pretty dark, sorry about that):

loading01.jpg

Menu

menu01.jpg

Settings

menu02.jpg

Heh, now that I look at them, I realize they're so old I didn't even know we were called the "Dark Mod", not "Darkmod". :blush:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THose are great. perhaps with the revenant there instead of the guard. I think we should use this concept.

You apologise for the darkness of them, but it's perfect. I haven't seen anything better put forward.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

THose are great. perhaps with the revenant there instead of the guard. I think we should use this concept.

You apologise for the darkness of them, but it's perfect. I haven't seen anything better put forward.

On some screens they appear as pitch black, but maybe that's something that can be handled with Doom 3's gamma settings or whatever. Honestly, I don't have a clue about things like that.

Ok, they'd need a bit of tweaking, like the guard picture should be stenciled in B&W like the lamp, and the text highlighiting could have more of a lava glow effect rather than dull yellow etc, but the basic principal is perfik.

We could have a different characters or places from the game stenciled in at random every time you loaded it up as a splash loading screen, or FM authors could put something from their own FM instead.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I have to agree. These images are visually striking. They have such a classic, timeless quality to them. I honestly think that something like this would be far more suitable for our menus and loading screens than an ingame avi. This is just bloody stylish.

Yes Dram, I like that idea. I think I"ll pop one of them in somehow as a placeholder image. Just to see what kind of feeling it gives. Anyone know how I can replace the doom 3 loading image with that one?

ok, had a look.

In pak000.pk4 is ui folder, in there should be mainmenu.gui or something like that, but thats huge and would take too much work to put in or whatever.

The other option is that in pak001.pk4 is the dds files. now in there are 2 places of the dds images:

dds/gui/assets/mainmenu and

dds/ui/assets/mainmenu

i don't know which one it is, cos i can't open the dds files. if you have photoshop you can i think.

Anyways, hope that helps tim.

So Napalm should ditch all the two months of work he's already done on the other menu?

This really has become the mod that can't stick to anything. It's one thing when it's just yet another debate, but when people have already spent hours of work on something, pulling the rug out from under them is not only unprofessional, but it's highly demotivating. We need to get our act together.

I agree, these look really great!! However, these appear as though they'd be fairly static screens ~ not much happening on them (little or no animation). Thus, they could become a bit lifeless after a while; or at least in relation to the type of menu Napalm is working on. I think we should wait to see what Napalm comes up with before spending too much time on these ones. These here have sat on pakmannen's hard drive for months now, a little longer inaction won't hurt. Once we see what Napalm has been working on, I have a feeling we'll prefer his because of a little more motion/animation going on. We can always revert to these ones if for whatever reason Napalm's doesn't work out (tehcnical issues or whatever), but we should wait and see.

So Napalm should ditch all the two months of work he's already done on the other menu?

This really has become the mod that can't stick to anything. It's one thing when it's just yet another debate, but when people have already spent hours of work on something, pulling the rug out from under them is not only unprofessional, but it's highly demotivating. We need to get our act together.

I haven't seen it. THere's no point working secretly for months on something and then springing it on us.

If it's better than this one, then we'll use it, if it's not, then we aren't going to use it just becasue he spent two months woking on it.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I agree, these look really great!! However, these appear as though they'd be fairly static screens ~ not much happening on them (little or no animation). Thus, they could become a bit lifeless after a while; or at least in relation to the type of menu Napalm is working on. I think we should wait to see what Napalm comes up with before spending too much time on these ones. These here have sat on pakmannen's hard drive for months now, a little longer inaction won't hurt. Once we see what Napalm has been working on, I have a feeling we'll prefer his because of a little more motion/animation going on. We can always revert to these ones if for whatever reason Napalm's doesn't work out (tehcnical issues or whatever), but we should wait and see.

If Napalm is really doing a crap job we can still reconsider. Since I doubt that he will screw it up so badly, I doubt that we will have to rework the menus. To be honest, I like most of the concepts we have come up with so far. This includes the shots here and the ones Napalm is working on. I can't really decide which one I like btter, because these here also have a very good quality about them as NH puts it. But since we decided already that we will use the other one, and this is already progressed quite a lot, there is no room for redesigning this now. Of course nobody can be stpped to create his own version of the menu, but this is not part of the mod and we will not include it as an alternative. for a simlpe reason. The menu is a kind of introduction and also like a business card. A game is identified with it's menu, and we don't want to spoil that just because we can't decide. It's one thign to include alternative weapon designes, but a totally different issue to include alternative menu and intro screens. The next thing will be that we also include multiple version of intro AVIs because we can't decide what we should use? No way.

Gerhard

I haven't seen it. THere's no point working secretly for months on something and then springing it on us.

If it's better than this one, then we'll use it, if it's not, then we aren't going to use it just becasue he spent two months woking on it.

The concepts fot the menu that Napalm is working on, has been shown long ago. Just because he is not far enough to actually show screenshots, doesn't mean he is "springing it on us" because we agreed to the design and we gave him the job to work on it, and this is what he does. Don't know how you would feel about ti, if we suddenly decided that we no longer want teh Revenant in it's current appearence and you have to redo it totally from scratch.

Gerhard

The concepts fot the menu that Napalm is working on, has been shown long ago. Just because he is not far enough to actually show screenshots, doesn't mean he is "springing it on us" because we agreed to the design and we gave him the job to work on it, and this is what he does. Don't know how you would feel about ti, if we suddenly decided that we no longer want teh Revenant in it's current appearence and you have to redo it totally from scratch.

That's not the same thing.

A comparison would be me taking a few months to do a model in secret, but in the meantime someone else completes and shows you a better model (as if) and you decide to go with that one insteaf. Not very likely, but if it did happen, I'd be the first one to say 'use the better model'.

YOu can't decide which one you will use before you've seen all of the designs. The bottom line should always be that we're willing to change for a better idea or design regardless of how much time of effort has gone into it.

We'll have a good old vote when the time comes.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Fact is: BOTH concepts are pretty old. Both concepts have been evaluated by us with lengthy discussions. We decided to go for the one which is currently in development. Just ebcause the actual implementation is done "in secret" doesn't change the concept, because in this case the concept and the implementation is visually the same. It's not as with a model, where you get a concept drawing which is much better because of all the freedom and you turn it into a mediocre model, that resembles the concept somewhat. In this case we can be pretty sure that the concept is exactly like the implementation because the concept IS already the actual sreen, with just the buttons being added to be usable.

At least this is the idea. There is not as much freedom in the menus as with modelling.

Gerhard