The Dark Mod Forums

Really Old Menu Concepts

pakmannen

I disagree about the title. I thought it would look better at the top too, but if the clock is going to be that size it's better to have it in the center.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really starting to like this new combo. I think it would be perfect for normal mission loading as well.

It's the picture on this site: http://www.doom3.com/

But it is only like 400x200 pixels in size. It appears for a few seconds after you first start D3, before the main loading screen kicks in.

Weird, I don't get that.

Spar: About the placement, I prefer it in the center since the composition is more balanced that way, and I think it looks better overall, but I can do a version with the title higher up if you want to.

I think the mission loading should be more mission-focussed, like a sepia version of an actual map. And like Odd said, many FM makers will want to use their own loading screen for their map.

Weird. I'll post a screen when I go back upstairs.

pak: Yeah, I agree we should have a default, but I think a sepia-version of an actual map would work better. Less juxtaposition between that and starting the actual mission. I'll try and post an example later.

THat avi is divx 5.2.1 - my version of AE6.5 opens it fine.

I never get a desktop splashscreen when starting doom either.

BTW, are we obliged to have the id software logo avi at the start of our mod, or can we disable it?

Tyrot is the real wizard with AE, maybe we could ask him to do something more fancy and animated with it.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Very nice, Pak. We should insert some city-shapes into the right-hand screen when we get some good ones, I think, to balance it out a bit. But I'm happy with the concept.

edit: Here's a quick mock-up of what I was thinking of for mission loading screens:

loadingscreen.jpg

Where the logo is, we would have some kind of moving indicator--I was thinking the clock from the main loading screen, just much smaller. We could easily inlcude a template for FM authors to replace the map image with one of their own.

YEs, that fone for people who want a personalised mission loader.

We shouldn't put the logo on the loading screens. It's more than a little amateur, uneccessary and almost childish.. People know they're playing the dark mod by that stage, we don't our name plastered over every screen' The dark mod wuz ere'

Here's my take on the loading screen. Clean and simple. Though I thnk even the' loading..' text is unecessary really. I like Paks as well - though yoiu really need to learn something about video compression. 18mb Vs 1.5mb for mine)

L:oading.avi

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

We shouldn't put the logo on the loading screens.

Clearly.

I just put that there to indicate where I'd put the clock, if I had that image.

Of the two versions, I like Odd's fade effects and the way the bigger clock revolves around the outside. But I prefer Pak's more subdued center clock. I think I prefer having the title as well, though it's not a strong reaction either way.

THere's a lot of ways this could be put together, I.m sure GIMG and Tyot could come up with some cool ideas as well.

I dot' know enough about the cool effects and tricks in AE.

- Emil Zola

character models site

do you have a high-res picture of a parchment/paper.

pak: here's a parchment that might work:

ftp://208.49.149.126/TheDarkMod/Art-ConceptDrawings/map3.jpg

Take out the "loading" text and that would be an amazing loading screen, the perfect evolution from the thief series loading screens.

I'll mock up some more, if desired, once I have time (been busy working, filming, and homeworking)

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

Spring: That link wont work, even if I replace ftp with http. And I can't access the FTP to search for it so could you fix the link?

Odd: I told you I suck at video compression :) I just compiled it with the cinepak or whatever.

I like the fade out/in effect in the edges of Odds video, but I still think I prefer my version of the clock. About the title: I think it should be there when you boot Doom3. Not nessecarily when you load a mission, but I haven't really thought about that screen yet. I'm doing the bootup first and we'll try to get it ingame and figure that part out.

Try this:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Art-Conce...awings/map3.jpg

I like the fade out/in effect in the edges of Odds video, but I still think I prefer my version of the clock. About the title: I think it should be there when you boot Doom3.

I agree.

Also, I think the "Loading" text is a good idea. Without it, people may think the screen is actually a menu and get confused.

I like Pak's better. I like that his Roman Numerals around the clockworks are muted/hard to see. Like the semi-tranparent clock floating away. Like that the initial bell tone is more synchronous with the appearance of the visuals (it is more emphatic).

Thanks Spring! I'll see if I can work with that. (Though it just struck me that I could have patched together four copies of my parchment into a big one.. bah)

I'm starting to doubt if it is at all possible to get a prerendered animation into the GUIs. They only seem to have options for adding TGAs and LWO models.

Odd: I thought about using that text effect actually. I would be a good option if the "burn/smoke" thing doesn't work out.

Napalm said it might be possible, but often they seem use kind of a stillimage slide-show between tga's to animate certain simple things. But the thing is, you can rotate and transform and change opacity of tgas with GUI scripting, so I'm hoping it will be possible to do as many things as possible like that.