The Dark Mod Forums

Lionel "squill" Van Der Kolk

New Horizon

I received an application from Lionel "squill" van der Kolk. He has produced a fantastic Doom 3 map that takes place in a mansion.

Take a look.

http://www.andlighten.tk

The readme states that it needs the 1.3 patch to run but I've been able to successfully play through it with our current version.

I just released a new map for doom3 which contains work which in a way represents some of my skills. You can find it on my website: http://www.andlighten.tk

I do a lot of modeling, texturing, animation (which is also my study) and of course mapping.

greetz,

Lionel "squill" van der Kolk

Yep, pretty cool. It's pretty crazy that his candles in this screenshot look a lot like BlackThief's:

http://home.planet.nl/~kolk0405/3D/levelde...ll/d3_map3d.jpg

I will maybe try his map out later tonight. If he is into that type of atmosphere, surely he would want to have our ravamped AI and stuff to work with for a more stealthy type of game?

Heh, I just read that he based his map partially on the Rose Red movie. The mansion used for that movie was this one that I posted about a while back: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&sh...indpost&p=39472.

Wasn't Sneaksie also doing a testmap with that? Well it's a stairway. Guess stariways look pretty much similar. :)

BTW: Did you tell Squill that he can peek in here? I wonder where he is.

Yup, I sent him an email and told him that the next time he logs in, he should see the application section.

I tried running the map, but somehow I was still using all the TDM resources and most of the textures weren't visible. Can't you load TDM but then use the Mod command to switch back to regular D3? Even when I load the regular game I'm still in TDM mode (actually kind of fun mantling and picking up objects...game crashed when I picked up a live marine though) ;)

I tried running the map, but somehow I was still using all the TDM resources and most of the textures weren't visible. Can't you load TDM but then use the Mod command to switch back to regular D3? Even when I load the regular game I'm still in TDM mode (actually kind of fun mantling and picking up objects...game crashed when I picked up a live marine though) ;)

LOL That's bizarre. I'm not sure what is happening there Spring but it sounds pretty funny.

I have similar issue as Springheel. Map looks fine when outside... I actually love the look/feel/sounds out there.... but then all the textures go black toward the main entrance door. All textures inside are black. This reminded me of how Dram's map was at first. Except at least in Dram's you could use the flashlight to see textures. Not here...

I have similar issue as Springheel. Map looks fine when outside... I actually love the look/feel/sounds out there.... but then all the textures go black toward the main entrance door. All textures inside are black. This reminded me of how Dram's map was at first. Except at least in Dram's you could use the flashlight to see textures. Not here...

That's strange. Where do you have the map? Is it in your base folder?

Yep, dumped right in here, per the readme file: D:\Program Files\Doom 3\base

But I wonder if my Doom3 installation got screwed up somehow. I only have 3 folders in my Doom3 installation folder, which seems odd: base, darlmod and Docs, with very few files in 'base' and 'Docs'. Maybe I need to re-install the game

Darlmod eh ;)

Nah, the only thing you should have in Doom3/ is base, darkmod, docs, and the executables.

In Doom3/base/ you should have a few folders and about 5 .pk4 files going by the name of pak000.pk4, pak001.pk4 pak002.pk4 etc.

I dunno, its seemse you have everything normal.

Yes. That's the cool thing. You can pack up everything inside a pk4 and D3 handles it. No messy directories spread out and polluting your game with adding files, everytime you install a new FM. Of course you can unpack it and run it that way as well, but that's not really neccessary.

Gerhard

Yep, dumped right in here, per the readme file: D:\Program Files\Doom 3\base

But I wonder if my Doom3 installation got screwed up somehow. I only have 3 folders in my Doom3 installation folder, which seems odd: base, darlmod and Docs, with very few files in 'base' and 'Docs'. Maybe I need to re-install the game

Hmmm, I don't know if this could be causing some confusion for poor old doom 3 but I believe that for mods and such, Doom 3 has problems with directories that have spaces in them. For the mod to work properly, I thought we were supposed to use something like....c:\games\doom3\....

I don't have any spaces in the name so I know that's not my particular issue. I do have D3 set to run TDM automatically, though. But I thought if you went to the mod screen and selected Doom3, it would load the default game.