The Dark Mod Forums

Lionel "squill" Van Der Kolk

New Horizon

I don't have any spaces in the name so I know that's not my particular issue. I do have D3 set to run TDM automatically, though. But I thought if you went to the mod screen and selected Doom3, it would load the default game.

I think I see what's happening now.

I went into the darkmod loading screen and loaded up this map. It was completely broken..I believe in the way you are experiencing.

I think when you load directly into darkmod like that and then go into doom3 it carries over somehow. Try going directly through the doom3.exe instead of the darkmod shortcut. That should let you play the map properly.

I have the impression that, when you load D3 with the mod specified on the commandline at startup, it doesn't release it anymore. That was just my impression though, so I can be wrong, because I never tested it properly. When you load D3 normally, and then switch to a mod, it behaves fine.

Gerhard

Hi you guys,

finally found some time to post something here and read your nice comments ^_^

I was already very impressed by the works that you guys were showing from this mod. I think it's also my kind of style, doing old fashion buildings and stuff. That's also why I made the mansion look more classic. If I can contribute to this mod in some way or another, just let me know where I can help.

squill ;)

Fantastic map, Squill. Though quite short by Doom 3 standards it would take quite a while to sneak around in there! Nice pagan inspiration in with the vines at the end. Like it!

Was I the only one who thought the suits of armour would come alive and attack? :)

Got a chance to play it. Looked good from what I saw, although the game faded out and booted me to the main menu when I jumped down into the cave with the slime tentacles. Maybe I died and didn't realize it or something.

I liked the animated models you made...those banners would be right at home in a TDM level. Good doors too.

Got a chance to play it. Looked good from what I saw, although the game faded out and booted me to the main menu when I jumped down into the cave with the slime tentacles. Maybe I died and didn't realize it or something.

I liked the animated models you made...those banners would be right at home in a TDM level. Good doors too.

Nope it's just the end of the map. I think I should have made a credit screen or something so people know it was the end. There are still some bugs that need to be fixed/improved.

well, if he's a beta mapper i guess he can do whatever he wants, and even if he's a team mapper he can do whatever he wants but yeah. I think he oughta download the alpha toolset though first. So he's got more to work with, seeing as he does'nt need practice ;)

Well, team members certainly can't do whatever they want. After all we have a job to do. But I'm not sure on his status right now. Will he prefer to be a beta mapper and just use our resources, or will he be a team member, helping in the campaign? For now there is no real difference in case of mappers, until we actually start on campaign maps, anyway.

Gerhard

are there already campaign maps being made or are there any plans for making them? Because from what I understand now is you first want to release the tools so others can also build there own missions and later on the team will be building their own campaign if i'm correct.

also do the mappers work from a concept (story/drawings) and build a map around it or are they still trying things out?

We have a basic setup for a campaign, but we locked it down for now, because we will createt he toolset first. After all, we need it ourselv as well. :) Until then, our mappers are doing maps which should resemble the original Thief series to some extent, and trying things out. Also if they work out a good workflow or something usefull, it should be documented, so that we can include it in our documentation section. So that later on people will not have to figure out everything on their own again. Another purpose for our mappers is, to have a variety of them, to tell us what is missing. Obviously we wont create all possible assets, but we should create enough to completely populate a basic set of maps and make them appear live.

Gerhard

Squill obviously has some modeling and texturing skills as well...we could always use those. I guess it comes down to whether he would prefer to be a team-member with full access to the mod tools, or a beta-mapper who gets resource updates every six months or so.

Squill, I note that you list 'animating' among your skills. Is that just for simple animated models, like the blowing banners, or can you handle AI as well? We have a need for both, actually, but especially character animators.

Well I am a animation student. I made projects with some 3D animation in it but it's just a start. Soon im getting 3D character animation the right way. So yes I can do some small animations but not (yet) very compilcated ones (still have to learn the techical side).

Well, team members certainly can't do whatever they want. After all we have a job to do. But I'm not sure on his status right now. Will he prefer to be a beta mapper and just use our resources, or will he be a team member, helping in the campaign? For now there is no real difference in case of mappers, until we actually start on campaign maps, anyway.

(damn these chains :P ) Thats what i meant spar ;)

Cos since the campaign is not being made yet, we mappers just do our own maps and all, to try things out. But yes, i know i will have rings under my eyes when the campaign time comes ;)

Anyways, the choice is up to squill if i understood correctly. So choose squill, do you want to join the beta mappers guild or the team mappers guild :P

uhh...which one pays the most? :D

I think it would be great to work on the campaign ... but I also like to try things out. Since there's not really a big difference now between the two I would gladly do some mapping and later do some work for the campaign. Does that mean becoming a team member?

Yes. Campign = team member. Beta mappers arebascilly independent from our mod and doing their own stuff. They are supporting us because we can get early feedback in case something is missing and such, but in principle they are independent from the actual mod.

They also don't need to wear handcuffs. ;)

Gerhard