The Dark Mod Forums

Quake Iv

_Atti_

I just read this FASCINATING review over at Gamespot:

Finaly QUAKE 4 has arrived and get to plai it.I always thought that QUAKE 4 will never se daylight but now i believe.!!!!!

But QUAKE 4 is greater the F.E.A.R because it has very intece action gore gameplay solid doom 3 graphics,intelegant AI!!,great level desing,and multiplayer!!!!

I think that the story liner is a bit impressive than the F.E.A.R game because you who you are controling.There Are Loads of weapon my favorites are the SHOTGUN (OWW YA) i kick as with thing.

STROGGG are strong enemys like in quake 2.Sound of the weapons are perfect the the muzzle flashes everything is PERFECT i give this game 10 out of 10!!!

10 out of 10 people! We've got a hit!

I can imagine the day when the Dark Mod is released. Think of the rewarding praise.

Finaly DARK MOD has arrived and get to plai it.I always thought DAK MOD not see daylight, and YES Its very dark!!!! The only light be the gibbous moon which shines forth like the pale glinting eye of a rancerous sea serpent...

There are LOAdS OF WEAPON best being the MoSs Arrow! So gnarled! OWWh YA

I want Oddity babies NOW!! 11/10

I fonud it on t3h Intarw3b!!!121 Garet is a totaly L33t Thi3f who steals shit and OMG hamerheads and paganinis are like "no you noob" lol the zombes are t3h ghey tho. Scarey.!

Hmm, PC gamer gave only 70%... The game is developed by Raven, my would-be favorite company (SotSR creators). But their recent games dissapoint me. I hope Quake will have all and more than DooM 3 had.

Loads of weapons. There were, ahem, 20 weapons in Turok 2. So many in Quake?

Favorite weapon - shotgun - shame. I love shotguns, but I would also wish to see something less instant. A plasma rifle in Quake IV, anyone?

Well, I don't think F. E. A. R. has a lot of AI. Scripts, rather.

Storyline, eh? I don't think a game like Quake will have a storyline ever... Or F. E. A. R.

Since when moss arrow is a weapon? I though it was a device. I never managed to kill anyone with it.

I didn't find Quake II enemies strong...

10/10 - last time I saw this with Half-Life 2...

To Macsen - I think I'll like TDM more than Quake IV. I never was a fan of Quake anyway. Besides, Quake is just a shooter for fun, Thief is more complicated...

May the Abyss rule!

Shadow of the Serpent Riders fan.

Since when moss arrow is a weapon? I though it was a device. I never managed to kill anyone with it.

To Macsen - I think I'll like TDM more than Quake IV. I never was a fan of Quake anyway. Besides, Quake is just a shooter for fun, Thief is more complicated...

Er, what I wrote was an obvious parody of what the Quake 4 fan said. No, the moss arrow isn't a weapon.

If it only got 70% it has to be terrible. The videogame media don't expect much from their FPS.

I just sumbled across a web page that read: "Quake 4 is the first game to use IDs Doom 3 engine." What about Doom 3? :D

Well, shame it's not a DooM 3 clone... I thought 70% is OK.

I liked SS, both I and II, don't know what they are playing at. It's a game for a lot of dumb shooting fun...

To Macsen - I suppose they meant first not ID game.

What kind of fan was that? He didn't seem to point anything out. Many weapons? What does it matter if they are the same in every game... His speech sounded like from a crazy person... After such a review I would'n mind keeping away from a game, I hate when people write like that...

Will Quake ever come out properly?

loudogskank - the kind of language I hate... Please keep that away from Thief... And don't replace E with 3 - why do that? It doesn't even ease writing. Have nothing else to do but turn languages around?

Edited by heXen

May the Abyss rule!

I won't say that until I see that, but I think you a right...

May the Abyss rule!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it; its been released for a while, at least in Australia. The single player is kind of so-so; its what you'd expect from an fps in the Quake series. Its very similar in feel to Quake 2; but it has some points; like the intermissions aboard the Hannibal, which can be a welcome break form all the running and shooting (much the same as unreal 2). Its actually lots more fun than Doom 3; with none of the stupid "Boo!! hahaha! OMG scared you!!" crap thats supposed to make me afraid; the plot is somewhat better than Doom 3's, though I don't know it seems to carry on form Quake 2 rather than Quake 3.

AI is terrible though; a step backward from Doom 3, and probably not as good as FEARs. They just jump around; it makes me fell like im in a shooting parlour. Though having some mates around to cover your back or die instead of you is a good addition. Multiplayer is ok too; all the more traditional weapons from quake 3 arena are around.

The engine looks superb though, i must say; and in Quake 4 they tend to push the bar a little by making some long tunnel/elevator/chasm areas (ala interior missions in Halo) that I found were lacking in Doom 3. Raven seem to have been a bit more creative than Id, and in the end it made some missions more enjoyable to see different architecture; it makes e very eager to see what you guys in the Dark Mod team are going to create.

Edited by SplaTtzZ

I also bought it, but it has not been delivered yet. I saw it in shops on monday though, but it was only released a few days ago IMO. But for some reason I thought that Q2 was better. Q4 looks pretty much like D3. Q2 was visually totally different from Doom which was not so bad, even though I liked Doom at that time (and still do :) ). If you just look at a screenshot from Q4 and a screenshot from D3 you wouldn't be able to determine which is from where. And I was also quite surprised that the intro from Id is the same as in Doom 3. At the first moment I thought I started the wrong game. Since I like to watch this intros, I felt a bit cheated.

Gerhard

Q2 was the only shooter I ever enjoyed; all the following ones seemed to revolve around deathmatch play and felt like arcade games. There was something very addictive about the juicy Q2 weapons and the way enemies would get pulverised when you unloaded the chaingun into them.

The main thing that puts me off getting Q4 is that I might start mapping for it and not want to go back to D3 if the performance is that much better (the same way I haven't touched T3Ed since discovering Radiant).

well, rest assured doom3 runs the same as quake 4. I have tried it.

Yup, it's pretty much the same on my system too. Which is good....although, the editing tools in Quake 4 are tightened up a bit more than the Doom 3 tools. Hopefully iD will offer to patch Doom3Ed to be up to speed with Q4Ed. It just feels more smooth.

Raven have had a history of taking id's engines and doing very creating things with them, pushing the bar, like you said SplaTtzZ :) Haven't played Q4 but Hexen is the best example i've seen - they made smashable windows, moving walls, all with the classic Doom engine, and also designed the levels in ways that tricked you into thinking it was doign things the Doom engine couldn't.