The Dark Mod Forums

Idea Feasiblity Query

Maximius

I don't think so. It would certainly be an interesting mod, and I would like to play it. It mostly depends on your maps though. If you make good maps which support this, then it could be very interesting to play. If you just make regular Thief style maps, then it would be simply an exploit.

I have an idea for one, where the rat has to enter the intricate guts of a security unit at a bank, some sort of Babbidge Engine looking thing with gears and wires and shit swinging all over the place, steam valves tooting randomly, and the rat has to navigate through the place and pull a few fuses out or something, then the Thief moves into the bank proper and still has to avoid the AIs. In that case, there wouldnt be any need for new relationships like attack to be coded in the AI, the rat would be interacting with its physical environment or maybe with a poisonous spider or two, something simple. I believe less sound coding would be needed as well, with only a few actors in that part of the map.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This idea might be usuable if we made it a clockwork mouse. You set it off to scout the area, but after about thirty seconds it winds down and can only be reused if you pick it back up. Like a scout orb that can scamper about on wee little legs.

That would be fun, and a nice balance I think. The infinite reusuability of the clockworks versus the limited usage between wind ups would have a good feel for a Thief tool. . Im assuming you mean to control its path for those 30 seconds, you could scoot across a room, spy it out, then dash underneath the sofa before you lose power. Perhaps visual could be maintained until you break the link, but you lose mobility when you wind down.

I never quite understood the reasoning behind the scouting orb. It seems rather high-tech. For a long time I thought Garrett was just throwing his eye around. :D

It could be used to good effect, however. Imagine a mission where you have to see something that's in a locked room. The only way is to throw a scouting orb down the chimney.

The scouting orb wasn't his eye, it was something his eye connected to. It was a dumb idea, IMO.

Yes, the scouting orb was basically a video camera, the signals from which he recieved through his eye. Ar ridiculous, contrived and very 'gamey' idea.

If scouting orbs hadn't been in T1&2, and they'd come up with the idea for T3, everyone would have been calling them another stupid dumbed down xbox kiddie attraction.

THe whole mechanic eye idea was stupid, nevermind the scouting orb extentsion.

I used to have a six million dollar man action figure as a kid, the one where you could look through his bionic eye, and it always reminded me of that.

Karras shoud have fitted Garrett with a bionic arm and bionic legs while he was at it, he was obviosuly adept at advanced microsurgery.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

We know your tastes are immature and bad, oDD, but you don't have to state it load for people to gloat over ;)

I also liked the scouting orb, although the idea that a huge big metallic looking ball didn't a) go CLANG when it hit the floor and B) didn't attract any attention was silly. Sure 'for the gameplay' but it should've been reflected in the model...

I think the clockwork rat idea's pretty good, although winding the thing up would remind me too much of Tom and Jerry and those little mouse toys for cats. As long as the mechanism for winding it up is something dissimilar to using a key, though, so's it's nicely placed in the gameworld.

I don't know whether such a clockwork mouse would be any use for clambering around a difference engine, what with those things to climb - clockwork tends to be not so good for that. Still, if there were such a tool, that environment would be excellent for it. Especially if it were /possible/ to beat the level without using the rat, and then if you botch up with it, it gets crushed by one of the larger gears, or boiled in a steam valve, you have to then face the security. Unless the rat carcass somehow sticks inside the workings of the thing ;)

--

Somethin' fishy's goin' on here... Come on out, you taffer!

~The Fishy Taffer

Re: Clockwork Rat - I just like the idea of scooting about between the guards legs, and chasing frightened female servants about. :) I agree that the idea of a medieval thief having a video camera is a bit daft. Also some of the textures might look a bit crap from an inch above the floor.

Come, come now, Oddity:

EVERYTHING about T1 and T2 could be considered ridiculous, contrived and "gamey"...being that it was, in fact, a game. A game which, far as I knew, everyone in this forum and on the dev team loved.

Granted, it is possible for one facet of the game to stick out as "gimmicky", but that would force rope arrows, lockpicks and shadow-hiding in the same cage.

If scouting orbs seem like too much of a stretch, even in the thief universe, we must then forego Thief 2 altogether, since the entire plotline pivoted on Karras' adept manipulation of the biological into mechanical.

Karras creating machines that think, see, and hear is just as far fetched as Karras replacing a biological eye with a mechanical one.

The fact that the scouting orbs were functionally useless doesn't make them any less "believable" in the gamespace.

Edited by Hylix Ulyx

Come, come now, Oddity:

EVERYTHING about T1 and T2 could be considered ridiculous, contrived and "gamey"...being that it was, in fact, a game. A game which, far as I knew, everyone in this forum and on the dev team loved.

But oDDity hated Thief. He has come, much like Jesus before him, to face that which he most hates and purge it of sin (or, in this case, anachronism).

To be honest, you're right. I don't really like Thief any more. I liked it at the time, but I haven't even played for 3 years.

IF you ask the team here, they'll tell you that I've always been suggesting veering away from Thief as much as possible and making our own game. I let on it's for copyright reasons, but really it's becasue I don't think a lot of the ideas in the Thief games are worth copying.

I liked the gameplay and the atmosphere of course, but the rest was mindless pap.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I also haven't played Thief for a long time now. I mainly stay on this project because it's interesting to make it. I also hope to revive the feeling that I had when I first played Thief, and I played Thief a lot for a long time. BUt I guess even the best game has run it's course at one time. We will see when this is finished. I consider myself still a Thief fan though, because I cherish the memory, even though I don't play it much nowadays.

T2X was a pretty good experience. The first level, where you had to enter the mansion, was really well done, and invoked that feeling again. :)

Gerhard

It didn't go CLANK on the floor, because it was covered all with goo from the eyesocket. :)

*<:^}

WHen you tossed the orb out and looked back at Garrett, he was holding something up to his eye or touching his mechanical eye. perhaps by pushing it a certain way he could switch frequencies to the deployed orb. I liked the scouting orbs and Id use them to plan out fairly elaborate AI traps and ambushes, I also liked the mixed up feeling that the advanced technology gave against the much more primitive and even magical world around it.

Yes, I think that's right. Thief is a good game, but it's not really 'fresh' any more. The Dark Mod borrows what was great about Thief but revamps it and does its own thing. Anyway it'll provide tools for FM makers to do something a bit closer to Thief if they want.

Yes, I think that's right. Thief is a good game, but it's not really 'fresh' any more. The Dark Mod borrows what was great about Thief but revamps it and does its own thing. Anyway it'll provide tools for FM makers to do something a bit closer to Thief if they want.

Thief did get old, even with some great FMs out I lost interest last year or so. Its going to be really cool to see all the differenent spins TDM give rise to.