The Dark Mod Forums

Idea Feasiblity Query

Maximius

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people seem to be against the idea because it could be unbalancing, and doesn't fit with the story in their opinion. Is anyone against using this idea or something similar in more of a spin-off?

I assume it wouldn't be too hard, since Garrett won't have body awareness, to change some sounds for Garrett to rat or spider sounds, get rid of the standard inventory, make some natural enimies like Dogs, cats and spiders, and just have an entire level as a rat or other creature. Or more like Maximus's idea but rather than having the rat run around the same level as Garrett, you teleport Garrett to a different section of map, that is scaled to the size of a rat, and change his sounds, so it feels like he is a rat.

Change and creativity can be fun if he wants to try, and I don't think that Maximus would force anyone to play it... **imagines people tied up in front of computers screaming in agony about plot inconsistencies and game dynamics**

Don't know if you thought of this but alot of people like to leave out modeling or texturing area's the player will never get to, i mean it's plainly obvious how fucking lazy the guys were in thief 3.

But it isn't hard to figure out a system that limits the use of a rat camera, how about these:

Can only control and recieve uh... telemetry from it if you can see it.

While controlling the rat you can't see or hear from your own body only the rats.

While normal rats are agile and hard to hit the player is controlling this rat, it wouldn't be a stretch to say the reactions aren't as quick as a normal rat. All a guard need to do is step on it, cats and dogs in those days would earn their food by catching it (so they are good at it).

You wouldn't need to bother with a light gem for the rat, make it squeak periodically and just make it easily detected if it gets too close to an npc.

Trained rats are expensive, if you loose one you may not be able to replace it.

To control the rat you need to 'posess' (for lack of a better word) it, meaning that you can't go back to your normal body unless it comes back to you. If you got a good hidy hole for your real body it isn't an issue, but you won't always get that, also if the rat gets killed you both die.

You could use any combination of these to make rat cam's useful but not too useful as to unbalance the whole game.

Also oddity, not everyone wants a game that is insanely challenging. Me personally theres only so many reloads i'll tolerate before i'll just either give up or cheat to get past that point. So dismissing any gameplay ideas based on how easy it will make it for the player doesn't seem right at all to me. And the other thing to remember is all new ideas and innovations will unbalance a system, a bad developer won't bring the balance back into check, a good developer will incorporate the idea and keep things balanced.

So basically, dope, we have a gimmick which no-one will use because it's pointless. The limitations make the idea useless - if it's easy for it to die and when you do your character dies, what's the point? You may as well go in with the main character!

If you have to main eye contact, there are few situations where leaning is much worse.

--

Somethin' fishy's goin' on here... Come on out, you taffer!

~The Fishy Taffer