The Dark Mod Forums

Ghosts

Domarius

For you guys, this photo was taken by "a friend of the brother of someone you know on the net", but for me and my brother, this photo was taken by someone we know very well, a friend of my brother's since he was in primary school, and he isn't the kind of guy who would fake this - he isn't saying its a ghost, he doesn't believe anything either way, he just thinks its wierd and unexplained.

So do I, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were ghosts.

This friend of ours took this photo.

Anyway here is my brother's email;

This was taken by Anton, one of my four best friends which I think is just nice for a change (as opposed to the friend of a guy of a dogs owner's niece etc). He's cool about it, taken criticism etc, doesn't really believe either way by the sounds of it. Two things I can tell you is this the photo was taken at the Aushwitz camp (where they killed Jews; just to state) and he swears that he did not see any fog anywhere.

What's going to suck here is the quality.

Anyway, doesn't take much to imagine the left blob to be a person with their body turned 45deg but almost facing the camera - as for the right, he suggested a person with a mask and I suggested the predator; he found it funny.

post-10-1130236545_thumb.jpg

Personally, I cant see how that could be any sort of anomaly in the camera... its just too organic. Why those parts of the CCD? And why that texture? There is nothing uniform or predictable about those shapes, unlike the cool effects you can get when a bit of dust floats in front of the lens and coincidently has a lot of light reflecting off it.

IMO this would have to be drawn in by hand by a person, or it was actually there.

Any of you photography or graphics experts got any ideas as to what could have caused this effect? It was a digital camera that was used to take it.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could also be refraction in the lenses, or a software bug, or a bug in the chip. When looking at this image it doesn't look like fog to me. It could also be a reflection of the stuff that this guy is holding in his hand. The pattern of the fog seems to follow the pattern of the guys cloth and the letter. Would be interesting to trace the outline, but I don't have the software here right now.

Gerhard

Spar its usuallyreally obviuos when its a hardware anomaly, which is what I was saying, it doesn't look like any bug a computer could generate, software or hardware.

Especially a lot of image anomalies nowadays show up with distinct squares because of the JPEG compression.

And if it was the lens, then all of his other photos would look like that, and they didn't.

It looks exactly like oil/dust smudges on the lens, more the former than the latter. I get it all the time with my video camera, cause i haven't wiped down the lens yet. If any light is near or aimeed directly at the lens, it tends to flare up exactly like what your seeing here, which is why both smudges are in front of the image.

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

It's an old, dark building. The flash from a camera would pick up dust you couldn't see with the naked eye.

And as for the 'figures'... the human brain is designed to seek out patterns. I can look out the window and see about a dozen 'faces' in the clouds above me. That doesn't mean there are giant ghosts up there.

Of course, it could be the ghosts of the dead posing for the camera... sadly if the jews did 'haunt' the building there would be ghosts as far as the camera could see. :(

If there were such a thing as ghosts, every digital and film photo taken would be filled with them. Everywhere. There has been enough pain and suffering to fill the world with ghosts, if they showed up all the time we would need special filters NOT to get them in our photographs.

Ive visited Buchenwald, and I readily admit it feels haunted even for a skeptical person like myself. Its understandable that someone visiting that place then seeing those photos would at least hesitate for a second. But the real monsters are not to be found there, they are grinning and shaking hands in the White House, Downing Street, the Israeli parliment, and the Reichstag, to name a few spots.

I can't see a damn thing, it just looks like random fog to me.

Ghosts to not exist. If they did, there would be no do they/don't they debate about it, we'd know for sure after all these hundreds of thousands of years, and wouldn't be relying on vague inconclusive images like these and anecdotes as the only 'evidence'

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I can't see a damn thing, it just looks like random fog to me.

Ghosts to not exist. If they did, there would be no do they/don't they debate about it, we'd know for sure after all these hundreds of thousands of years, and wouldn't be relying on vague inconclusive images like these and anecdotes as the only 'evidence'

Heh, if it were only that simple. In my limited understanding, ghosts are just the leftover energy of their host. Some people evidently have a stronger life force than others. Obviously you haven't had the 'pleasure' of actually seeing a ghost. It's not as spooky or mysterious as people make it out to be. When it happens, it just happens and you'll know it. The hair on the back of your neck will stand up but not from fear...from energy. It's absolutely amazing.

Don't abuse well defined physical terms like energy or force for some obsucure abstract esoteric approach. If there was something like 'life energy' it could be measured. You would need to give me a very good reason why it should NOT be able to measure it.

Actually there is something liek 'live energy', we can see this every day. Once it is depleted we refer to the people as dead. So what 'energy' should be left?

And the thing that makes your hair stand up without fear is commonly refered to as 'static electricity'. Incidently you can quite easily summon such a ghost. There as an acient ritual to invoke it. You just need a plastic sheet and rub it on your head, but this ritual only works for people with hair. Obviously people without hair, can't make it rise anyway. :)

Gerhard

Heh, if it were only that simple. In my limited understanding, ghosts are just the leftover energy of their host. Some people evidently have a stronger life force than others. Obviously you haven't had the 'pleasure' of actually seeing a ghost. It's not as spooky or mysterious as people make it out to be. When it happens, it just happens and you'll know it. The hair on the back of your neck will stand up but not from fear...from energy. It's absolutely amazing.

What a load of crap. If you can prove any of that slobbering you just did there , I'll be less likely to loath and despise you for eternity,. the way I loath depsise anyone who beleives anything without adequate and verifiable reason to do so.

I hope for your sake you were being facetious.

What people mean when they say they saw a ghost, is that they saw some unverified thing which they attributed to being a ghost for no reason whtsoever. It makes me sick.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

There is a reason whatsoever. For one, it can be because they don't know how our body and mind operates, and so it is easy to come up with a ghost when you see somethign that resembles a human shape when you know it can not be.

There are several problems here.

*) It is easy to assume a ghost, because it is cheap and doesn't require much analysis.

*) Our brain is very good at recognicing human shapes and faces. Of coure it is. Just like a sheep is good at detecting sheepy shapes and a horse is good at detecting horsey shapes.

*) It feels comfortable to assume aghost because it reduces the fear from a mindless uiniverse where we exist and simply vanish without leaving a trace.

*) We heard a lot about ghoststories and there is always this little nagging doubt that it may exist after all.

*) Our basic instict easily tell us that what you can not identify immediately is a risk. This also explains why most ghosts are assumed to appear at night. Why should it matter to them?

I don't say that all of these reasons are always at work, but surely a combination of these and others.

Gerhard

When I say no reason whatsoever, I mean no good reaon, only bad ones, which you've stated there.

It's the same with twats who beleive in any paranormal nonsense, or humans with psychic powers. Any one of these fuckers who's claimed to ave 'powers' and then been tested peoperly always fail to show any powers whatsoever. James Randi has had a million doloar prize up for years for anyone who can show any paranormal ability, and no one has ever claimed it. Many have tried of course, but they were all found out to be cheats, frauds or just mentlly ill with delusions.

Yet people still believe that crap, they go to psychics and seances and tarot readers - and pay money for it.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Ha ha, I knew you guys would jump on that. :laugh:

Don't expect me to explain it any better than that. I'm not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination. :) I'm relating what I have experienced. Just because you haven't seen something yourself, doesn't mean it can't exist. I can't say it's exactly as I described, but that's the best I can explain it.

I have a couple of experiences that were rather strange.

The first one was when I was around 7. My parents were remodelling their room, so they moved their bed into my room for a few days. I woke up in the middle of the night and there was a chill in the room. This was very odd because it was the middle of summer. To set the scene, there was no moonlight that night and even if their had been, all the blinds were down. We also had no lights on anywhere in the house. At any rate, I woke up from this cold sensation...yet I was sweating and the hair was standing up on my neck. When I opened my eyes and looked accross the room, there was a somewhat circular blueish haze glowing on the wall. There was absolutely no place the light could have been coming from. After watching it for a few minutes, I could hear my mom was awake and I aksed her if she could see the blue light. She said she had woken up from the cold in the room and was watching it for twenty minutes. We watched it a little bit longer and then she said she would turn on the light to see what happened. As she reached for the light switch, it quickly vanished. At this point I was pretty freaked out. :laugh: After lowering her hand from the light switch, the blue haze slowly came back.

We had no idea what the light was all about...but three days later, my great aunt died. The only thing we could figure is that it was some kind of premonition.

Another story, one that I didn't see personally, is from when my parents were first married. They were living in a small appartment.

My mom woke up in the middle of the night from feeling cold, and when she looked down at the foot of the bed, there was a man standing there. She shook my father awake and he saw it without her saying a word and said, "Who the fuck are you?" and the man simply vanished. They were pretty freaked out by that point and told the land lord about it the next day. He said that there had been a tennant who shot himself in the appartment the year before and that different tennants had seen him too.

I know how easy it is to discredit this kind of stuff but unless you have seen it yourself, there is really no basis for whether or not you believe. I like to leave the door of possibility open if I can, our understanding of life and the world in general is pretty limited after all. We're not that advanced. ;)

I have another story or two but I'll save those for later.

Ha ha, I knew you guys would jump on that. :laugh:

What, you thought we'd jump on the fact that you're trying to conduct an argument like this:

NH: "Here's a load of bullsht and nonsense I, or others as gullible as myself invented, and for which I have no evidence whatsoever - please don't laugh at me"

Us: *laugh*

- Emil Zola

character models site

Don't expect me to explain it any better than that. I'm not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination. :) I'm relating what I have experienced. Just because you haven't seen something yourself, doesn't mean it can't exist.

Conversly: Just because it doesn't exist, doesn't mean you can't see it. :D

I have a couple of experiences that were rather strange.

Me too. Most involve interactions with women. :)

At this point I was pretty freaked out. :laugh: After lowering her hand from the light switch, the blue haze slowly came back.

Which pretty much suggests to me some reflection where you don't know the source. This is pretty common. Just try to figure out where exactly some light is coming from in some situations. It's VERY hard to do just by looking. My usual approach is to move the hand in the light and then move it so that I can find the source.

We had no idea what the light was all about...

Yes, that's always the problem ...

... but three days later, my great aunt died. The only thing we could figure is that it was some kind of premonition.

... and if something noteworthy happens soon after a connection is constructed. How often did something "strange" happen where nothing happened to stick it into your mind permanently?

I have another story or two but I'll save those for later.

At least they are fun to read. :)

Gerhard

I loath depsise anyone who beleives anything without adequate and verifiable reason to do so.

The vast majority of what an individual believes is based on either third or fourth-hand information, or is believed simply because most other people believe it. Trying to 'prove' something to someone who doesn't want to be convinced is impossible, since virtually everything we believe to be true is based on some measure of faith and trust.

(that said, I don't find that picture particularly impressive)

Any one of these fuckers who's claimed to ave 'powers' and then been tested peoperly always fail to show any powers whatsoever

I guess any of the tests that have actually supported the claims would not be 'proper' by your definition? The typical skeptical argument goes like this:

"There is no evidence to support X."

"What about the experiment Y, that did suggest evidence?"

"Experiment Y is a faulty experiment."

"How do you know?"

"Because it showed proof of X, and everyone knows X is impossible."

Spot the logical fallacy.

The vast majority of what an individual believes is based on either third or fourth-hand information, or is believed simply because most other people believe it. Trying to 'prove' something to someone who doesn't want to be convinced is impossible, since virtually everything we believe to be true is based on some measure of faith and trust.

(that said, I don't find that picture particularly impressive)

Nonsense. You're sounding suspiciously like someone who believes in a god.

Perhaps you'll give me some examples of what I beleive in through faith alone, and I'll be glad to put you straight.

Tryingt o prove something to me is perfectly simple. Just conduct a series of indepedant tests under laboratory conditions and show me the positive results.

I would then believe it. The only other possibility would be that hundreds of independant scientists have covertly formed a conspiracy for the purpose of lying to me.

"There is no evidence to support X."

"What about the experiment Y, that did suggest evidence?"

"Experiment Y is a faulty experiment."

"How do you know?"

"Because it showed proof of X, and everyone knows X is impossible."

Spot the logical fallacy.

You just made that up. Show me any experiement that has been conducted like that, and even if it was, nothing is ever proved or disproved on the basis of one experiement, it requires several indepentant experiments showing the same results.

- Emil Zola

character models site

My mom woke up in the middle of the night from feeling cold, and when she looked down at the foot of the bed, there was a man standing there. She shook my father awake and he saw it without her saying a word and said, "Who the fuck are you?" and the man simply vanished. They were pretty freaked out by that point and told the land lord about it the next day. He said that there had been a tennant who shot himself in the appartment the year before and that different tennants had seen him too.

Nah, i think that one's different NH. It was Garrett and your mom was good enough to catch him in the act. He was about to steal their bed. Definately.

: P

You know oDD, one thing you learn from life is that trying to convince a Christian (for example) that there is no God is absolutely pointless because he won't listen. Simple. Would you believe me if i told you i knew your mom? no. Same with that. It only gives people the shits. The best way to go about it is to just let them believe it because it makes them happier and they also feel more secure knowing what that damned thing was rather then being told "oh it was just the psychotic killer next door". ie: stop being a tart.

I dunno if ghosts or whatever exist or not, but there is some pretty freaky shit that happens.

Also oDD, just for the record, there are a few hypnosis tests they did and people were able to recall their "life before" or whatever. They even knew the location of their grave in some cases ;) Now i dont know about you, but its not very possible that an 11 yr old kid can name a grave that is halfway across the world and never been there. Just keep an open mind oDD. Though with you that's unlikely. And pointless.....

Scientific study has shown that people tend to stretch and embellish stories, even in their own minds. Tests asking people where they were during the moon landing and when the planes hit the world trade centre straight after the event, and then a few months to years after the event, shows that people not only add details to their memories but often change them to something far more exciting. I the same way some water reflected on a wall can, in twenty five years or so, become a phantom orb of doom. I'm not calling New Horizon a liar, this happens to everyone.

When I was about five I saw a shape coming in through one wall of my bedroom and out another. Over the years I told this story many times and had soon convinced myself that I had seen a ghost. That was until I was sorting through some books from my childhood and found a picture of a ghost that looked exactly like the one I thought I had seen. I had probably seen that picture when I was small and dreamed the rest, or subconciously added the ghostly image my memory over time.

Moral of the story: Don't trust your brain.