The Dark Mod Forums

3d Modling Question

Unskilledlaborer

3d modeling question

To all those who are modeling objects and people and junk:

Stuff you are doing looks great.

I just wondered what apps you all use for that stuff.

I know nothing about that sort of thing but would be interested in learning at least some basics. So what Apps do you guys use. I hear a lot of talk about 3dmax but is that on may need to create really cool people and objects.

Do you have Any advice for a guy wanting to get started 3d modeling on his own.

Like what programs or Apps you all use. What is the run of the mill program (you know the one most modelers use)?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no single app that most modelers use. They all have their own preference. A list of the most popular would be:

-Lightwave = fantasic, separate dedicated modeling app, my personal favourite. It's the app that the Doom devs and the UT devs use for modeling.

-Modo = developed by a splinter faction of the people who made lightwave, started as a dedicated modeling app, it's as good as lightwave, some would say better in a few areas.

-Max = I can't stand this app, and would rather kill my own grandnother and then rape her dead mouth than use it.

-Maya - THe best overall 3d app on the market, but it's polygon modeling tools have been lacking for a long time. You can get separate poly tool plugin scripts for it.

-Silo = Really good little app this. It's only a few megabytes in size, only costs $100, is a dedicated modeling app, and the only reason I don't use it is becasue I'm already a master with lightwave and would get no real benefit from switching at this stage.

-XSI - the second best major 3d app at poly modeling after lightwave. It's pretty similar to lightwave. You get a watered down version of this app you get with Halflife 2.

- a few free ones like Blender and Wings, which I've never touched.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

If you have no cash, then Maya has a learning edition you can use (all renders have a watermark) or there are a couple of good, free apps, the most well known of which is Blender, but there's also Wings3D. Recently, Blender has seen a lot of development towards making its UI more consistent and easier to fathom, adding new features and so on.

--

Somethin' fishy's goin' on here... Come on out, you taffer!

~The Fishy Taffer

Blender rocks. It's free, fast, small and more than capable of any D3-related task you might throw at it. It is also developed very rapidly and it is not uncommon to have major features (such as softbody dynamics) implemented during a single point release.

It's UI also looks very slick if you use the Rounded theme rather than the default (especially with those semi-transparent menus).

Here's another vote for Blender to get you started.

If you're serious about doing this for a living or something, you'll want to move on, but to get you going there's nothing better than Blender. People actively working on it and a huge support base to get you going. In fact, Doom3world has an entire section dedicated to Blender http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewforum...265f12735d83cdc , and you can get tons of help at www.elysuin.com.

Great program, too- just takes some getting used to. get it at: http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Home.2.0.html

I'm not sure why you all want to jump on the blender bandwagon, It's only good point is that it's free. I've looked through the gallery on the blender site and I'm not very impressed, compared to looking through say, a lightwave gallery or an maya or XSI gallery - or even a max gallery.

Maybe it's just that the quality of artist that uses blender is lower, and not just that the app is lacking, I don't know.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I'm not sure why you all want to jump on the blender bandwagon, It's only good point is that it's free.

That's a pretty strong good point for those of us who are unable or unwilling to shell out thousands of $CURRENCY for a professional tool.

Also, as most professional artists do not use free tools such as Blender, your sample is biased in favour of the tools that are used by professionals, who are on average going to be better artists.

thousands of currency? Heh...

Does zbrush works with the stuff at all? My friend told me you can't animate there, but heXen Edge of Chaos mod uses it somehow. My friend uses only 3d studio max... But I like Zbrush better....

May the Abyss rule!

Shadow of the Serpent Riders fan.

Zbrush is not modeling, it's sculpting, and there's a big difference. AS far as I know, it's usless for making low poly models for game engines. Most people use it to sculpt details on models they make in other 3d applications.

Zbrush reuires very little skill. It requires artistic talent, sure, but no modeling skill. The inner workings are hidden and you simply paint on 3d models.

- Emil Zola

character models site

OK I GOT THE Blender. it seems really fun but I wonder if the blender can be used to create models that actually go into DOOM? If so how do I do that?

I made a stick figure man from a tutorial I found. After I rounded (using subsurface) him up a bit I realized that I could also pull his vertexes and give him a belly or some titties if I wanted...!!! hehehehe

so what is the standard way of creating a character (AI human say a Hammer guard or something) ligature ready. Like a decent quality one

does anyone have a tutorial that will walk me through creating a human that looks noncartoony.

Well if you can get used to blender then I suppose its fairly featured and compatable compared to other free solutions.

My advice though would be to use www.wings3d.org because its interface is probably the most similar to the mainstream apps yet very simple and free, so you will get a lot more out of it because it will be a stepping stone to doing more complex stuff.

Blender can be used to create models for Doom3. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned above that I actually are doing this. I only did static models though, so I don't know how you would go about animations. This is because I'm not good at modelling anyway, and I just create models that I need for my development. The real models are (fortunately) done by our most excellent modeller Oddity. :)

Gerhard

You can get animated models into Doom 3 from Blender (I did this with a swinging light) but it is a bit more complex. I suggest getting some simple test static models into the game before moving on to animations.

Kat has a good tutorial on this over at Quake3bits - I can't remember the precise link but you should be able to find it in the Blender forum at Doom3World.

Don't start off by trying to model realistic characters. YOu can't learn it from a tutorial, I'm afraid it's not as easy as that - if it were then everyone would be a modeling master.

It takes years to learn how to consistently model good realistic characters

You should start off smaller than that. Learn how to model objects first, and build up to simple organic objects, and then creatures and humans.

Beleive me, if you start off making small easy objects until you can make them perfectly, this will fill you with confidence and inspire you. If you start by trying to make difficult objects, the results will look like shit on a stick, and this will only discourage and frustrate you.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Well at least if you know your model is shit, that's a good start.

Some people aren't even aware that their models are rubbish.

Having a good internal quality meter to let you appraise your model accurately is essential.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Making a realistic character isn't about modelling at all either really, its about being an artist.

Modelling only takes you so far as to know how to place polygons the way you want them to form some sort of shape and avoid certain problems, and use the interface of the software you're using.

After that, getting a good likeness of anything is just art, so you should look for information on life drawing tutorials or something.