The Dark Mod Forums

New Improved Management Of Your Digital Rights

SneaksieDave

Saw this over on TTLG community, but the only time I ever even look in there is if the currently showing topic is interesting, so I thought this might be a good place to echo it for those who do the same. You know, to inform the masses. Spread the word. :wub:

Read and get angry. :angry:

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/s...tal-rights.html

From operating system "activation" to Steam to WoW spyware to controlled music content to Starforce and beyond, people really need to stop tolerating this kind of stuff before it's too late. Looks like They want war.

Are you game?

*gets arrested for inciting within the police-state*

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just goes to show how bad things are getting. Big corporations and merchant banks etc are answereble to no-one and can do as they please, pretty much. The only way to stop it is to simply refuse to buy products with this sort of shit in it, and for people to disobey en masse and boot out governments that collude with these companies to enact draconian legislations that only serve to make merchant bankers fat and rich while their money grows exponentially in a Cayman islands tax haven. We should all take holdiays in tax havens and make them really horrible places, and bankrupt them so the rich c*!ts have nowhere to keep their dirty money.

Always the problem. Damn masses. People are fucking stupid. Like a school of pilchards being sucked into the mouth of a whale.

Thanks for posting this information. I read the article but its a little too technical for me, can anyone recommend some security ware to counter these sons of bitches?

This gets me wondering. A few months ago I installed a couple of DVD rippers and crackers and such, I was planning on stealing my NetFlix movies and starting a private library. It was around this time that I noticed that some of my games would refuse to install, claiming that they could not authenticate. No, these were not ripped-off games but store bought ones. Could I have one of these rootkits blocking some installations or something?

Edited by Maximius

Aside from what he mentioned in the article, I don't personally know. I've done some by-hand spyware removal now and then, but rarely, because the shit can be pervasive, so I usually use something like Ad-Aware. But the stuff in this article sounds like it goes far beyond simple stab-you-in-the-back spyware. This is getting really deep down with stealth afforded by the OS - hiding files, registry entries, and processes even beyond simple windoze user-level hiding. Yes, I think it's good to find and remove this stuff, but possibly even more important is something ALL of us can do easily:

Use your voices, to spread the word, and use your wallets, to refuse to endorse this type of shit.

FIGHT!

Aside from what he mentioned in the article, I don't personally know. I've done some by-hand spyware removal now and then, but rarely, because the shit can be pervasive, so I usually use something like Ad-Aware. But the stuff in this article sounds like it goes far beyond simple stab-you-in-the-back spyware. This is getting really deep down with stealth afforded by the OS - hiding files, registry entries, and processes even beyond simple windoze user-level hiding. Yes, I think it's good to find and remove this stuff, but possibly even more important is something ALL of us can do easily:

Use your voices, to spread the word, and use your wallets, to refuse to endorse this type of shit.

FIGHT!

I agree, this has to be fought both in your computer and at the point of purchase. Unfortunately, your average computer user is like your average eater of mass produced foodstuffs:

1. They dont know and dont care to know about the problem.

2. They know its garbage, its poisonous in fact, it will hurt you but they dont think about it, dont like people who think about such things and who point them out.

3. They will breezily dismiss it with a "what can you do?"

Im showing my political stripes here, but the masses of people will not move until material conditions push them. If this spyware causes major problems with peoples systems, there will be a lot of static. If the spyware quietly does its dirty work but lets you do the majority of shit you want to do with your computer anyway, your average mook is going to simply drive on with it and ask no questions.

But I think an important distinction needs to be made: In the software world, fighting with your wallets can have an effect, especially with a smaller company or publishing house that can directly feel the impact. But fighting with your wallet against Sony, unless you get a LOT of people on board, will almost certainly be fruitless. Im not saying dont fight, but its crucial to understand where to apply pressure, where to lay off, and where to say "Cant win that particular battle." in any struggle against power.

I wonder if it would be possible to write a program/driver/service that would ensure that anything launched via AutoPlay would run with reduced privileges, under a special sandbox userid. There could then be an option to run the program with normal/Admin privileges if the user actually needed to (such as when installing a program).

Turn Autoplay off. It is useless most of the time anyway. Autoplay just pisses me off...

wtf man...

If you let this go on for just a tad longer they'll breach human rights. That's when the shit hits the fan. That's when they go down.

Probably would pay for a new law to counter it though. Oh well, there is never a shortage of crackers - especially in countries where their fucked rules don't apply. Seriously, if a company wants money for their game, they should make a GOOD FUCKING GAME. 99.9% of the shit that comes out recently is a total wad of snot mixed with someone's ass jiuces. Fucken pisses me off so bad how some certain UNNAMED things run -s on your os NAMELY STARFORCE 3 the motherfucker. I hope every company that makes a program like that which IS spyware just a ) fails and b ) everyone on it goes bankrupt (unless they had no choice).

anyways, thats my rant. Oh, theres about a million sites which host the "starforce killer", which is perfectly legal mind. If anyone needs it...

I don't suppose it will be long before some corporate turd decides that turning off AutoPlay is illegal.

Not that they will get anywhere. As far as I know the DMCA has gone to court twice in the USA - once by Lexmark, attempting to prevent other companies from refilling their cartridges, and once by a garage door manufacturer who wanted to outlaw the sale of replacement remote controls for their doors.

Both lost.

There are rumours of collusion with some hardware manufacturers to make it very difficult or even illegal to run open source OSs like Linux run on new motherboards etc unless they include draconian DRM stuff.

At the moment, moving to China looks like the best option for anyone who wants liberty and democracy. The irony being that democracy has been so eroded in Western countries that we will soon be worse of than people living in places like China in terms of rights and freedoms. No one in China gives a fuck about patents or intellectual property or copyright, yet their economy is thriving and growing faster than anything. IP only serve the bloated mutlinationals to become more bloated - mere mortals do just fine without it.

a lot of these ridiculous laws are being tossed out in the courts, so there is some light at the end of the tunnel, but not much.

Dude...China?

I mean, fuck.

At least you know exactly where you stand in China. In the West, the same sort of controls over freedom of speech and association are being introduced in a much more insidious way, via bogus "anti-terrorism" laws that will have very little effect on terrorism, but will greatly enhance the ability of governments to limit free speech.

The proposed laws in Australia have provisions like giving the police the power to arrest you without charge and hold you for great lengths of time, purely because you might have lived down the street from someone suspected of possibly being a terrorist, and while you can tell your familiy you are OK, you cannot tell them where you are or what is happening to you, or it can be an automatic jail sentence for you AND the person you tell. The government can make you dissapear without a trace and will have effectively no obligation to tell anyone about it for 30 years. Tell me you would be any worse off in China if you happened to fall foul of the Government.

Sure China is pretty harsh in many respects, but if you play by the rules you will be in a much better position than in places like the USA where the rules don't matter anymore.

In China, you know straight up that you are not living in a democracy, whereas in America for example, people are constantly told they are living in a democracy when in fact they are living in a totalitarian police state in disguise. A sham democracy is worse than a genuine dictatorship IMO

This is starting to remind me of good'ol Czechoslovakia during Hitler. Yes i am Czech. No i am only 18, so i did'nt see anything, only my parents and grandparents did, but they told me the stories.

I wonder how many people by now have been affected by Chernobyl. I was around when it happened, so technically i'm affected. Though not enough for anything anyways. It's not like i'm radioactive man or something.

I have to agree with obscurus to an extent. Much as I dislike the censorship and oppression of the Chinese government, I hate the lies and hypocrisy of western governments a whole lot more.

Plus, at least the Chinese government implements its policies because it believes them to be in the national interest of China, rather than the US and UK governments that implement policies because they benefit corporate America.

Did anyone read the news about China implementing 3 hour session limits on all its gaming servers, such as World Of Warcraft, etc? After 3 hours, you suffer regular XP and GP loss, then after another hour you are booted and your character is deleted. Local kids are complaining because the average quest in WOW takes 5 hours.

The rumour is its to stop kids gathering at internet cafes in groups and talking about politics.

Though my friend beleives it is due to China having a heavy focus on productivity, and huge amounts of people sitting there for 5 hours at a time entertianing themselves is not very productive. I actually agree with this concept - the 5 hour quest times are nothing more than a money making scheme - no one needs 5 hours straight of entertainment or relaxation. Even a save point based game could not reasonably ask for 30 minutes straight of playing time.