The Dark Mod Forums

Creation Of Items And Inclusion Of Tidbits

Two quite similar questions/concerns on the same topic.

Assuming a person knows how to use a 3D program like Blender or 3Dmax, how hard if possible is it to have dynamic objects in the game with realtime effects and 3d animation? example: A jar of fireflies, A well-rendered tarnsparent-glass jar with glowing green fireflies flying a la brownian motion inside, either the jar emitting a collective light source, or each of the (not so many) fireflies is a small-radius monochromatic light emitter. An added bonus: the motion of the fireflies is scripted to be dynamic, after some time the jar is resting on the ground or the table some of them settle down on the ground and glow less, after a short agitation, they all starting flying, with intense agitation they spread and glow maximally. In addition, the sound frequency changes with the flying pattern, and propagation is correct (like torches or fireplaces) when you approach.

What amount of texture packs and voice packs might there be? Will there be enough voices for enough occasions? Should there be? The admins said they don't need offers for voice-acting and prefer local-to-them highly controlled voice-recording. I was riding on the train recently and I heard a guy with a very unique voice talking on a phone. He sounded exactly like the exaggerated (gay?) noblemen in T2. I got his email address, and turns out he's an artsie who already did voice-acting for a few things and is willing to do voice-acting for this for free. I have a feeling there's 99.6% chance he will never do voice acting for darkmod.

I got his email address, and turns out he's an artsie who already did voice-acting for a few things and is willing to do voice-acting for this for free. I have a feeling there's 99.6% chance he will never do voice acting for darkmod.

I'm handling all of the voice acting with local actors. When you have to create thousands of AI responses, the last thing you want to do is create more work for yourself by having to adjust someone elses product to match your own. ;) It's easier this way. If we decide that we need to add a few lines here and there, or have to do pickups...I just give my actors a call and schedule them in.

The stuff you want to do with the fireflies sounds possible with the SDK, it's just a matter of how much time you have to work on it. :)

You probably don't want to make each individual firefly a light source, probably better to do that in a particle effect. You could have the flies be bright, but not casting actual light, and then use a single glow for the light that's actually casting shadows on things.

Overall though, the SDK is basically the source for a large portion of the game, and you can make a new object class anytime, so it's very flexible.

Two quite similar questions/concerns on the same topic.

Assuming a person knows how to use a 3D program like Blender or 3Dmax, how hard if possible is it to have dynamic objects in the game with realtime effects and 3d animation? example: A jar of fireflies, A well-rendered tarnsparent-glass jar with glowing green fireflies flying a la brownian motion inside, either the jar emitting a collective light source, or each of the (not so many) fireflies is a small-radius monochromatic light emitter. An added bonus: the motion of the fireflies is scripted to be dynamic, after some time the jar is resting on the ground or the table some of them settle down on the ground and glow less, after a short agitation, they all starting flying, with intense agitation they spread and glow maximally. In addition, the sound frequency changes with the flying pattern, and propagation is correct (like torches or fireplaces) when you approach.

THe jar of files wouldn't be hard. You'd use the particle editor in doom for the flies. There's already a preset for them, just add the green glow.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

The time spent on making very fancy and realistic objects IMO would be best spent on stuff the player interacts with, like giving the player a pair of pliers or cutters that he can use on objects, like a rope holding up a chandelier.

But the realism doesn't have to end there, with things like doors you could make them so that the player can force the locks but making an awful racket in the process.