The Dark Mod Forums

Book Recommendation: Confessions Of A Master Jewel Thief

Ombrenuit

Ok, so my friends acknowledge that I'm into Thief. It didn't come to a surprise to any of them when one of my best mentioned that he found a book that I might want to check out, Confessions of a Master Jewel Thief, and it peaked my interest.

It's the biography of a real life jewel thief in the 60s through early 80s, and quite the tale. Bill Mason isn't exactly what you would call the archetypical thief, he's a family man and a real estate agent with just an unusual hobby. This is to say he wasn't exactly a career criminal, and he didn't exactly need the jewels either. He did it for the adrenaline rush, the challenge, and the problem solving; and I can't stress enough how exciting some of these heists were. He has some class too. He never once resorts to violence, although he gets shot in one heist. He thinks of every possibility and robs people when their away at dinner most often. He gets the goods by climbing a rope from a sixteen story building to get to someone's balcony more than once, and no one suspects anything when they see him climbing a rope in his back yard with his kids hanging off of him. He's actually a pretty normal guy, and you'll be amazed sometimes at how lucky he gets. The doors that are left unlocked, alarms unset, how the jewels are almost always where you'd expect them to be (in the bedside drawer)--it's an interesting social commentary through a thief's eyes that evokes much of the feelings I think we all get when we play Thief ourselves.

Sometimes it's hard to get your head around the fact that these were real people getting their diamonds stolen, and that these people were really hurt. The authorship is nicely written, sarcastic, and a bit cynical, but it's still hard to feel a bit bad for some of the people he was robbing, although they were celebrities. He shows some remorse later on, but the toll on his family, friends, (especially his kids and his wife) really destroyed much of his life, and for what? A hobby? That isn't to say that I grew to hate the man--he has a lot of charisma, but that isn't to say that he was any robin hood. But why, you ask, isn't this "confession" used to prosecute him? Well, in America we have a system that says that someone can't be tried for the same crime twice, and plus, many of these crimes he got immunity for. His statute of limitations ran out, so he's free to spill the beans on all his heists, worth $35 million in jewels.

I read it all within a week. It's quite the thrill and quite the life that I would suggest to anyone interested in picking up a good read. You will go through it quick, and his antics are pretty entertaining (some I'm dying to mention, but are just too good to spoil). I also like how he continually keeps things in perspective with his actual life, and yes, he was arrested, multiple times. You can't be a jewel thief these days, but this is the next best thing. Pick up this book.

These days security systems have gotten so advanced that it is very difficult to become a master thief like in the days of old - it is usually brute force methods (like using a 4WD and chains to drive off with an ATM) and violence that will get you some petty cash, or electronic fraud, like using automated malware to continuously siphon off half cents from internal bank transactions and deposit them in an offshore bank account....

But here again is the case for not having weapons for the player in TDM. Real master thieves don't use them, and if we are to suppose we are playing a master thief, as opposed to some rough second rate thug, there should be no weapons, and minimal tools. There. I've said it again.

That looks really good, Ill have to read it ASAP. Im reading the science fiction of Edgar A. Poe right now. Its not really thiefy stuff, but in terms of developing atmosphere, phew! Between Poe and Lovecraft I think there is plenty to stir the minds of FM designers.

Obscurus, I have to point out that this modern day jewel thief also does not have to contend with the undead, sword wielding thugs, or enraged mages. I have to do exactly that in my line of work all day long, and I assure you weapons are called for in such instances.

Max, who forgot his meds this morning...

• 1 month later...
That looks really good, Ill have to read it ASAP. Im reading the science fiction of Edgar A. Poe right now. Its not really thiefy stuff, but in terms of developing atmosphere, phew! Between Poe and Lovecraft I think there is plenty to stir the minds of FM designers.

Obscurus, I have to point out that this modern day jewel thief also does not have to contend with the undead, sword wielding thugs, or enraged mages. I have to do exactly that in my line of work all day long, and I assure you weapons are called for in such instances.

Max, who forgot his meds this morning...

What book is that? I'm looking for something good to read nowadays :)

• 4 weeks later...