The Dark Mod Forums

Very Nice Update

woah

Just wanted to show my appreciation for the mod once again. The past few updates have been superb, as always. The new models look amazing, Oddity--the quality is way above average, and probably the best out of all when compared to that of any other mod. Time after time I look at these and think I'm looking at the media of some funded retail game. What makes it even more amazing is that these models are shown ingame, and not through some pre-rendered image (Like most mods use to make their poor or subpar media look much better than it really is). I'm sure you have an even more successful future in professional game design awaiting you. And by the way, are those simply poses that the characters are placed in, or are they in the midst of animation? I hope you make a model for a chubby, drunk guard too, like that of in Thief 2 ;)

The animation of the failed black jack attempt looks great too. It reminds of some of the animations used in Thief 2, and it makes me happy to think that this mod is staying true to the Thief feel and atmosphere. In addition, and it dont want to make it seem as if I'm favoring some media over others, the maps are looking great. I love the props and furnishing--again, they remind of the Thief feel. The only thing I would recommend is making all of the screenshots High-resolution (IE: This one http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/screen22.jpg compared to this one http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/screen29.jpg . They use some of the same props, but the detail level and resolution makes one look strikingly better than the other, though the composition of the quality is the same).

The light gem interactivity sounds really unique and superior to the previous thief games. I can only imagine the possibilities offered by such a scheme. I'm sure you're tired of reading this rambling of mine, so I'm just going to end this by saying everything else sounds like it is progressing great, from the player movement to the sound propagation and beyond. Everytime I see or read any of this stuff, I feel like playing through Thief 2 again (and sometimes I do ;) ).

By the way, and this just came to me, is the team planning on implementing professional voice assets for the guards and such? I remember one of my favorite things about thief was the unique sound resources. Is it expensive to get a good vocalist? If so, I'm sure many of us here would be interested in donating (I hope) ;)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, and this just came to me, is the team planning on implementing professional voice assets for the guards and such? I remember one of my favorite things about thief was the unique sound resources. Is it expensive to get a good vocalist? If so, I'm sure many of us here would be interested in donating (I hope) ;)

Thanks for all the kind words. :)

I'm responsible for the recording of the voice sets. I was a professional stage actor for five years and did some directing as well. I'm recording all of the voice sets with experienced actors with my home recording studio setup. I audition the actors to see if they can provide what we need. I'll settle for nothing but the best. :)

Can you guys put in an option for choosing the lightgem size on screen, and an option for turning it off. It appears too large in those shots. I'm sure that it's still up for debate and can be changed so easily; boy does the design of it look stupendous...

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

That design will change a lot anyway, we're goign to incorporate a compass and pop-out heatlh bar into the gem design, and you will have a choice of where you want the weapon/item icons placed on the screen.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

That design will change a lot anyway, we're goign to incorporate a compass and pop-out heatlh bar into the gem design, and you will have a choice of where you want the weapon/item icons placed on the screen.

So it's possible to go no-HUD?

I'm all for no HUD, one of the better development choices for more immersive PC games ala Thief.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Ha, all your hard work for nothing Spar - at least people can't turn off my models.

You seem to forget that the lightgem also is needed for the AI. So even if yomsebody switches off the visual feedback, the code still needs to run. Hmmm. Actually it was good that you mentioned this. I totally forgot about this. This will mean that you will not get any performance benefit from switching it off, because we still need to run it in the background. You only wont get any visual feedback anymore.

Gerhard

You seem to forget that the lightgem also is needed for the AI. So even if yomsebody switches off the visual feedback, the code still needs to run. Hmmm. Actually it was good that you mentioned this. I totally forgot about this. This will mean that you will not get any performance benefit from switching it off, because we still need to run it in the background. You only wont get any visual feedback anymore.

So it's actually just my lightgem model they're turning off then....damn - folied again.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Tell me if I'm wrong on this, but I'm sort of under the impression that the team had decided not to create a single player aspect of their mod at first, and just supply the props and such, but somehow found themselves starting to develop it. Is this true? If so, are you planning on adding 2D cutscenes?

Tell me if I'm wrong on this, but I'm sort of under the impression that the team had decided not to create a single player aspect of their mod at first, and just supply the props and such, but somehow found themselves starting to develop it. Is this true? If so, are you planning on adding 2D cutscenes?

Dark Mod has always been a toolset first but the idea of a short campaign has never been too far behind. Yes, there will be cutscenes and briefings.

Thanks for all the kind words. :)

I'm responsible for the recording of the voice sets. I was a professional stage actor for five years and did some directing as well. I'm recording all of the voice sets with experienced actors with my home recording studio setup. I audition the actors to see if they can provide what we need. I'll settle for nothing but the best. :)

Another voice question N.H., say that Im making a map and I need some of the AI to say certain things that wont be found in the Mod pack. How hard would it be for someone at home to make some voice sets of reasonable quality and then insert them into the map? Im talking cheap as humanly possible but not so cheap as to make it a waste of time. Is it even feasible? I know some people did it for the T2 Mods but it was obvious when they did due to the poor recording quality.

Edited by Maximius

Another voice question N.H., say that Im making a map and I need some of the AI to say certain things that wont be found in the Mod pack. How hard would it be for someone at home to make some voice sets of reasonable quality and then insert them into the map? Im talking cheap as humanly possible but not so cheap as to make it a waste of time. Is it even feasible? I know some people did it for the T2 Mods but it was obvious when they did due to the poor recording quality.

Apart from the quality and most likely the not matching sound pattern aside, the actual work would be to record it, and then add two lines to the mod, to make it being said. :) Well, maybe not two lines, but playing sounds is pretty easy because you have the scripting language which will allow you such things.

Gerhard

Maximus, the only real factor is the quality of your recording. Its as easy as anything to drop any .ogg or .mp3 in and have it played as a voice of an AI at a certain time or whatever, using the script.

The only real question is, can you make it of good enough quality really.