The Dark Mod Forums

Very Nice Update

woah

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like it myself. If I'd known it was going to be shown publicly I would have put them in better poses. I'm only happy with the elite city guard on the right, the middle two are in halfassed poses, and the guard on the left it stretched wide due to the perspective distortion you get in doom when things near the edge of the screen.

They look far better in-game.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

WHERE DID WE DISCUSS AN UPDATE

You know the website that gets updated regularly? We're not talking about a release update. :)

Heh, EoC vs. Thief...

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

The new guard models definitely need a splash of color.

THat's easy enough, just stick an arrow in one, and you get a big splash of red.

I think you'll find that muted pastel colours suit the doom engine pefectly, and garish = vulgar.

As for the elite mecenary guards who are currently in black and white colours, the FM author can of course change the textures to suit his misison. The idea is that they wear different colours and emblems/crests depending on who they are working for. These are just the base templates really. I'll probably make a few differnt coluir and emblem texture sets myself before release - if I get some free time between having to answer fool comments.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Garish = typical more-gold-than-taste mansion decor. Are you saying the D3 engine is poorly suited to your favorite type of mission?

Are you saying we need to paint mansions and guards every colour of the rainbow just to hint at the owner's poor taste? You can show tacky extravagance without primary colours - just look at the interiors of Saddams turd-green palace.

Me too. Only I don't like the cage-like helmets...

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

We've already said there will be tunics of different colours, so relax already.

Bear in mind, if you are going for a consistent mediaeval/victorian steampunk theme, that techniques for dyeing cloth in very bright colours were not readily available to europeans until the late 19 th century, and all but the most expensive of fabrics would be died in muted, somewhat dull colours. Dark pastels, greyish greens, pale yellows, brownish reds, are the go for realism. So try to avoid overly saturated colours if you want to a.) be realistic and b.) avoid garish hues. Please avoid the temptation to push the saturation slider all the way up to 127 on the HSL values, as few things in RL are ever that pure.

Of course, if you couldn't give a flying kcuf about realism or good taste, go nuts!

Edited by obscurus