The Dark Mod Forums

Loot Sound

sparhawk

Can we get a loot sound before we release to the beta mappers? We already can grab loot and in Drams Mansion it still uses this weird "PHUMP" sound, which is not very attractive. Pak, you said that doing such a sound, or a similar one, should not be that hard to make, and this would definitely be something recognizable for our mappers.

Gerhard

Hm, I thought we had one on CVS.. I'll check it out

Edit -

Yes, it's there. I'm not sure if the code has been changed to reflect this but the sound is:

sound\sfx\world\frob_loot.ogg

You can always check these things for yourself in THIS THREAD. That's a list of all the sounds on CVS and so on. When the sound is added to the game, please tell me so and I'll mark it as such on that list.

Wouldn't it be a lot better if things worked like other games/editors where objects has predefined settings and such. Like all loot objects are of the "loot-class" which shares properties. (Like when you frob them they are added to the lootcount, the proper sound is played etc etc)

And all things you can pickup (arrows, potions, scrolls) will also need to share some properties, like when you frob them they should go to the inventory, and play a sound etc.

Okay, to get footsteps in, most of the code is already in vanilla D3. All I have to do is:

1. Modify game_local.cpp where the surfaces are defined (Id choose to do it this way, not me :( ) to put in our list of surfaces (I think I'll put them after the existing ones in the enum so that the D3 maps don't break).

2. Modify the appropriate soundshader (which one would this be now that it's changed?) to put in footstep_wood, etc.

3. Modify the player.def file, propagated sounds section to include the numerical volume offsets for walking on different surfaces

Right now I'm still working on adding the damn jiggling to the rope arrow though, ran into some problems.

2. Modify the appropriate soundshader (which one would this be now that it's changed?) to put in footstep_wood, etc.

I'm not sure. I made a thread about it here

Would it work for you if I just wrote these shaders:

- tdm_sfx_game

- tdm_sfx_movement (the one with the footsteps, among other things)

- tdm_sfx_tools

- tdm_sfx_world

Or do you need a special shader file just for the footsteps?

Oh, another thing, am I right in saying that tdm_player.sndshd is no longer needed when we add this code?

Ishtvan, I have made some of the shader files now, is this what you wanted? (Attached the movement shader)

Edit - Hm, seems I can't attach shaders or txt files. What kind of files can you attach?

Oh well, here's a snipped out of the shader:

human_carpet

{

description "Made by Theo"

sound/sfx/movement/human_carpet01.ogg

sound/sfx/movement/human_carpet02.ogg

sound/sfx/movement/human_carpet03.ogg

sound/sfx/movement/human_carpet04.ogg

}

human_grass

{

description "Made by Theo"

sound/sfx/movement/human_grass01.ogg

sound/sfx/movement/human_grass02.ogg

sound/sfx/movement/human_grass03.ogg

sound/sfx/movement/human_grass04.ogg

}

Yeah that's exactly what needs to happen, now it should just be a matter of me changing the player.def file to play those footsteps, and if we make a human base class for the AI, it should also go in there. I think we'd have to reorganize the AI class heirarchy a little for that though. I wasn't thinking about it and I just started doing the heirarchy in terms of the "factions," but it might make more sense to have a humanoid base class and a beast base class, etc.