The Dark Mod Forums

Water Footstep Sfx: Wading Vs Puddle

Ishtvan

Yes, they are very different sounds, sicne water at abiout ankjle lvel means you have to constanly splash down into the water with your feet, and break the water skin when you lift up.

Wading at waist height could be done very quietly.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I'd say that splashing though ankle deep water and swimming in the water should be similar sounds, and wading wasit deep and swimming underwater should be very similar.

Wading through waist deep water would be almost silent really, if you were holding your arms above the water.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

What about a screen effect? Currently being under water looks the same as being above water. Of course when you are fully submerges it's pretty easy, because we can simply overlay the screen with some blueish greenish colour effect. The major question is, what about in between situations where approx 75% of the screen are underwater?

Gerhard

Yeah, even the original Quake had warping and distortion effects underwater. I wonder if some of the old Quake code has something that could be useful for the DarkMOD engine?

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

The water code should be able to detect all those cases (assuming it works as designed). It's got waterlevel_none, feet, waist, head (I'm guessing when it's at waterlevel_head you're underwater, although not positive).

As for distortion underwater, it should be a pretty quick coding job to put that in once we have the effect, we just need a shader/fragment program for the effect. Maybe someone has released one on D3World? I dunno. Although, because there's a distortion effect on the top surface, are we going to get the same problem with overlapping distortion effects that you get looking thru glass at water?

For underwater distortion, it might be a good idea to use a variation of the berzerker (or whatever it's called in D3) powerup. IIRC it goes kinda... doubled-image blurry? Best underwater distortion I've ever seen is in FarCry, because it actually goes blurry, like an unaided eye underwater. Far better than just some refractive effects.

For underwater distortion, it might be a good idea to use a variation of the berzerker (or whatever it's called in D3) powerup. IIRC it goes kinda... doubled-image blurry? Best underwater distortion I've ever seen is in FarCry, because it actually goes blurry, like an unaided eye underwater. Far better than just some refractive effects.

Yes, the Far Cry underwater shots are gorgeous.

Does anyone know if we can get two overlapping distortion programs, or is it always going to do that crap like where you look thru glass at water and all the distortion goes away? Reason being, the top of the water has a distortion effect applied to it, that looks good, but if we have another one for looking at things underwater (which I think we should), then they'll overlap. Maybe it's okay though, because the water view distortion will be applied directly to the player and isn't on a map surface or anything.

Does anyone know what happens experimentally when you look thru glass with the berserker powerup or some other thing that distorts your view?

It's possible it looks better on higher video settings...they didn't look quite as good as I remember either.

On the subject of footsteps.

I've been following the directions to add the material name, human_wood, to a material file to get the proper foot sounds to play but it's just making the floor texture turn black. I don't understand why as it's setup exactly the way the tutorials show.

textures/darkmod/mansion/floor/manfloor04

{

human_wood

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/mansion/floor/manfloor04.tga

diffusemap textures/darkmod/mansion/floor/manfloor04.tga

specularmap textures/darkmod/mansion/floor/manfloor04_s.tga

}

Isn't that all it takes?