The Dark Mod Forums

Svenskar?

ScrotzaN

Well, thanks for reverbing. Why I asked for that? Well, try to translate this sentence:

В настоящее время областная армия нападала на белый дом многократно, и несколько под-ростков забежали в круг Белова, за ними же забежали боевики, нашедшие оружие в доме в шкафу...

That is a normal sentence, only re-phrased in a bizzare but grammarly right way. I don't have time to write a sentence as literaly as you did at the moment, and no one will write like that, but it still will sound wrong after you translate it. Well, I think.

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a question answered now - how many centimeteers is 62 inches!? It's very important!

В настоящее время областная армия нападала на белый дом многократно, и несколько под-ростков забежали в круг Белова, за ними же забежали боевики, нашедшие оружие в доме в шкафу...

Now the regional army attacked the white house repeatedly, and some teenagers have run in circle Белова, behind them the insurgents found the weapon in the house in a case have run...

Mostly understandable, or so I'd expect from an automatic translator. Certain words are mysteries, as always... Chinese and Japanese are more nightmarish when translating.

Are you saying that I used a strange grammatical structure? Or that you really just translate everything into Russian to read it? :P

I need a question answered now - how many centimeteers is 62 inches!? It's very important!

157.48 cm

Edited by Northeast

"teenagers have run in circle Belova", "in the house in the case have run" - these sentences make sense?

Actually, these sentences became like that because I used certain words and word order on purpose. Would I write it in a nirmal way, it would translate perfectly.

I don't translate anything in Russian ever. Except sweddish, german etc. Or is my English sounds like it came from a translator?

Thanks for the cm. I got them right...

"teenagers have run in circle Belova", "in the house in the case have run" - these sentences make sense?

Actually, these sentences became like that because I used certain words and word order on purpose. Would I write it in a nirmal way, it would translate perfectly.

I meant I don't expect much from an online translator. My experiences with Japanese and Chinese made me that way. The translation didn't make sense, but I have experience with funky word order, so I got the gist.

I don't translate anything in Russian ever. Except sweddish, german etc. Or is my English sounds like it came from a translator?

No, no. You sound better than many native English speakers your age. Sometimes the Slavic-ness might slip out, but it's not really obvious. You do better than I with Russian, so who am I to judge?

The point you were trying to make could have been that you translate it, so I just thought I'd ask as a joke.

Thanks for the cm. I got them right...

Google does conversions well enough.

I hate the Imperial system. Engineering in North America is plagued with it. Luckily the physics is mostly clean.

Edited by Northeast

Personlay, I hate inch-yard system because it is hard to convert from one to another... I can't understand why everybody like it so much. First time I read "take 12 ounces of flour", I was completely lost. In fact, the abbreviations are horrible. OZ for ounces, and I'm not sure that is right, lbs for pounds...

So please, what did the first sentence mean?

I didn't say anything about your Russian, Russian is much harder than English. Maybe I can teach you something basic. Should be fun, if we create a thread about that and stuff... You know the Russian alphabet?

Speaking of my English - well, I don't know a single rule about grammar... Well, it's funny, the first time I meant English was at school. Regular English class that doesn't teach anything... Then, when dad went to America and me and mom were soon to go too, we started to learn "Follow me" English courses. That helped us quite, we did learn the basics. I still remember - "Shall we go to the cinema"? But the best plunge was when I came to the American school. It was elementary, wiht ESL programm, and there I finaly started liking the language ("Follow me" was British version, and I never liked it). After that I had some idea how sentences work and are build, so I knew how to build them, though my vocabulary was very limited. We had to return to Ukraine... Well, we horribly wanted to go back. Yes, living level improved, but far from America... But before we left, we bought a large number of books. I read some short ones, Holes, Wanted Mud Blossom, etc., but I never had much interest in them because they contained too much humor, which didn't make sense to me. But among them, I finaly got to Harry Potter series. I didn't want to read it much because of it's overpopularity, but in the end I started when I got bored. I didn't really understan the firts book. All I got is the main idea. But no jokes, no bits, the book was like a document. Knowing that is only my fault, I got to the second book - I hoped words and expressions would be alike. Didn't get much of it either. Read third, didn't like it at all. Started not reading, but jumping to parts of the book and read only dialogues. Finaly got to fourth. And finaly, found some interest. Perhaps the plot was stronger here, or my vocabulary improved a little, but fourth was much more interesting to read now. I reread it a few times. I read the parts I didn't read before, and translated words that were highly often (translating every word is masohism). Sometimes it was hard to get what a word is if it had two meanings, even with the context, especially without me getting half of the context... So, little by little, I reread it all, the other books too... Somehow got some grammar and vocabulary base. Holes and Mud Blossom became much more interesting too... Not a lot of effort, is it? Just be in school, then reread a book. I suppose I'll be thanksful to J. K. Rowling to the end.

I hope you didn't go to sleep. I should have written it in parts...

Oh, a little addition - my first meeting with English was Save/Load from Warcraft II...

And, actually, I think I could have written better in English if I wasn't too quick. I already wrote all that a long time, though I didn't intend it to get so big.

Edited by Forsaken

Personlay, I hate inch-yard system because it is hard to convert from one to another... I can't understand why everybody like it so much. First time I read "take 12 ounces of flour", I was completely lost. In fact, the abbreviations are horrible. OZ for ounces, and I'm not sure that is right, lbs for pounds...

Well, it's an older system. I think the Imperial system evolved, whereas the metric system was created for simplicity.

So please, what did the first sentence mean?

Which sentence?

I didn't say anything about your Russian, Russian is much harder than English. Maybe I can teach you something basic. Should be fun, if we create a thread about that and stuff... You know the Russian alphabet?

I've heard it's harder. But English is always a learning experience for everyone who speaks it. So many bloody words.

English is probably the easiest of the Germanic languages, but you can do so many fun things with it. German can be frightful at times.

Long story short

Yeah, it's quite the thing, learning another language. It's a bit hard to immerse one's self, apart from French and English, here. One of the languages I'd like to learn (before I die) is Russian, but it seems quite the undertaking.

Oh, a little addition - my first meeting with English was Save/Load from Warcraft II...

My first experience with Russian was the 10 ruble note that I was given years ago. It was printed in 1961. I cannot read a thing on it.

Yeah... Well... Do you really want to learn Russian?

First sentence - the one about circle Белова.

How is that related to languages?

Yeah... Well... Do you really want to learn Russian?

Well, I have for years, but I don't even know the Russian alphabet, so I'll be like a child. You'd probably have better uses of your time. ;)

Looking at the Russian alphabet, some if it is completely new, in shape, and some is deceptively similar. Though I know they aren't the same sounds. Or, I think they aren't...

First sentence - the one about circle Белова.

Something about an army attacking a house with insurgents. The house may have teenagers who are hostages, or are the insurgents, it's not clear. Someone find a weapon in a case, and runs. This takes place in Белова.

Well, I have for years, but I don't even know the Russian alphabet, so I'll be like a child. You'd probably have better uses of your time. ;)

Looking at the Russian alphabet, some if it is completely new, in shape, and some is deceptively similar. Though I know they aren't the same sounds. Or, I think they aren't...

Something about an army attacking a house with insurgents. The house may have teenagers who are hostages, or are the insurgents, it's not clear. Someone find a weapon in a case, and runs. This takes place in Белова.

1 You are wrong. For 5 days I'm alone, no school (you can't imagine, I like school), no mom, no street, only comp. I'll be delighted if you'd like me to explain a few russian sylables!

2 well, no we have it... you are quite wrong... I made this by telling about something happening in a Russian movie Brigada(aka brigade). It requires a lot of explanation, actually. :)

I know enough programmers who are fools.

To late! :ph34r:

I said - if a programmer is a fool, he's not a programmer. At least, a good programmer. Programing is close to math and art at the same time, a person can be a programmer and stupid at the same time :rolleyes:

"Too late" - if Northeast was right, you are not supposed to mind that. :unsure:

Programing is close to math and art at the same time, a person can be a programmer and stupid at the same time :rolleyes:

You just made a friend. :)

Actually I was always of the opinion that programming and math is equally creative as the accepted traditional arts, but many think that anything related to computers and science is just boring and can not even come close to something like art.

"Too late" - if Northeast was right, you are not supposed to mind that. :unsure:

You shouldn't take everything to seriously. :)

Gerhard

Well, I practiced programming myself, so I have a basic (very, very basic) idea of what it is. But I'm starting with C#, because if I am to turn programming into a profession, I'll write regular Windows first... Though all I know is int, switch, if, while, public static void Main(). But when I start to think how would I write the code I start thinking in different directions, even if it's something simple. And I can say if and while as well as switch are pretty powerful, you can virtually write anything by using them. + your own methods, + different classes creating objects. So programming can be called an art. It is a question of how you design a program. There are so many different ways.

People who think PC-related stuff is not art-like, they never tried that themselves. Web-designer speaks for itself. oDDity should know how artistic 3D-modeling is. Game designers - won't even comment on that, how hard it is to design a game! Don't forget Photoshop. No, people who think like that don't have a PC or don't know how it works. Well, even video card look beautiful sometimes!

And that sentense - I wanted to say programmers CAN'T be programmers and stupid at the same time, but you seem to get it right anyway. I just tend to forget the apostrophies.

On Nival forum it is so easy to offend someone that you better be careful.

But when I start to think how would I write the code I start thinking in different directions, even if it's something simple.

Applying the teh statements to create the program is the notcreative part of coding. The creative part is to design how the code works, to find ideas how to implement something so that it works best. :)

And that sentense - I wanted to say programmers CAN'T be programmers and stupid at the same time ...

If you were a programmer as long as I am, you would know that they can be just as equally stupid as anybody else. :)

On Nival forum it is so easy to offend someone that you better be careful.

You can't be easily offended here AND stay on the forum for a longer time. After all, we have Oddity around who makes sure that you can't survive if you are touchy. ;)

Gerhard

oDDity is the one who's touchy. As well as I am.

Applying what statements?

Well, actually, wasn't that what I said? if I start thinking in different directions, it means I do have to choose the best one. You said - design how the code works - well that already means you have to think in certain terms. You really lost me here.

So you say you are stupid?

oDDity is the one who's touchy. As well as I am.

:D

Applying what statements?

The statements that you already learned like if, switch, etc.

You really lost me here.

Where exactly?

So you say you are stupid?

Where did I say that?

You know what an implication is and how it works?

Gerhard

Hmm... Sometimes I just wish that even if I said something right, but accidentaly, I won't try to sort it out... Why am I always so stupid?

You lost me when you said that something what I said is not creative part of work.

Well, you insist that programmers are stupid, or can be stupid. And I can't get how that is possible.

Implication? No... Look you should know how far from anything serious is public static void Main() {.

Don't expect me to know ANYTHING too complex.

Well, you insist that programmers are stupid, or can be stupid. And I can't get how that is possible.
As an over-the-top example, programming a dictionary where the words are stored in a linked list is usually very stupid, even though it would require familiarity with programming concepts. A linked list is a list that takes a long time to search but can often be edited very quickly and easily.

Wait a minute... What do you mean by a linked list? A dictionary where you just have a list of all words stored and you can click to see what a word is? Maybe I'm behind times, but that is exactly what my dictionary is. Only it has search and it can find certain idioms, otherwise it is a list where you pick out words. But I really never thought of making dictionaries better... They are all pretty much the same... Just with different addons.

Sorry, I should have explained that better... When I say linked list, I'm not refering to anything you see when you run a program, but rather a way for that program to remember a list of things.

Edit: I've been trying to figure out how to explain linked lists, but all my attempts are poorly phrased. I would suggest asking your dad about arrays and pointers.