The Dark Mod Forums

Amd2000 -- Lightgem

Springheel

lightgem4.jpg

ui2.jpg

Use the above as reference. You will have to extend the four cardinal points so that they can be more easily seen above the gem.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a work in progress image of what I have for the Lightgem.

Since it differs fairly significantly from the mockup by Pakmannen, I thought I'd post the image to get opinions so I can rework it if nobody likes it :)

lightgem01.jpg

I chose to go with a mold-forged iron look with the ring itself which is a look I ended up liking

Shrink to about 33% to see the size it would appear in the game, I believe.

Edited by oofnish

Here's a work in progress image of what I have for the Lightgem.

Since it is WIP I guess it will get some ornaments on teh spikes and the North spike should be coloured differently.

Apart from that it looks ok. Can you put it in a screenshot with approriate size? THis way we can better determine how it fits in.

Edit: What did you model it with?

Edited by sparhawk

Gerhard

Yeah, the original render was large to show off detail, and the screenshot was just a quick drop in photoshop. It looks good as it gets smaller, although I'd be concerned that it will be hard to see the direction indication if it gets too small.

The color of the gem itself...erm...sure I guess. A material shader with a shader parm representing the desired gem color might be possible. Getting the light color in the area might not be too difficult either. Don't really know at this point.

Yeah, the spikes are pretty rough at the moment, i'm not sure what ornamentation to put on them, though.

Nothing fancy. I was thinking of something like snaky lines tracing the outline or such.

Here is a mockup from a screenshot of Renz's gallery.  The lighting is even almost believeable on the model :)

Lightgem mockup

I think it doesn't look so bad if it were much smaller. Can you add some surface structure to the gem? Something like scratches or small deformations to make it look a bit worn.

Modeled with Lightwave for native lwo support.

Never got used to it. I stick to Blender. :)

Edited by sparhawk

Gerhard

It looks great! Could be a little smaller though. Question: Would it be possible for the gem to have the same colour as the light in the room you are in?

What do you mean by that? And which colour would that be? If there are several light source with different colours which one would you take? I think going for dark gray to bright yellow should be ok.

Gerhard

If you are standing in a blue moon-lit room, I always thought it would be cool if the gem shined with a blueish tone.

So you mean something like an ambient shader. This might be possible. This would mean that the overall coloru doesn't change but a hue of the ambient colour is applied. Of course we need to know if there is something like an ambient colour in D3. Renzatic may know more about this as he is doing the mapping and work with the lights.

Gerhard

I think adding those kind of details might not be that useful...when it is shrunk they will hardly be seen anyway. I think colouring the north spike would be sufficient. If we could see it actual size that would help. I quite like it. :)

Since its a model, it can be whatever size you guys want. It may also change relative to the scene depending on game resolution. I took a guess at 800x600 in the link above.

I've not yet put nicks and scratches on the surface of the gem, but Ii plan to do so in addition tomaking the points a little more detailed.

I'm quite impressed, oofnish. This looks great.

One suggestion for the finished version is to make the points a little less bright, perhaps leaving only the north point that bright. The others could be a darker metal so they don't draw as much attention.

Also, the details people are talking about...wouldn't that be done by skinning?

Yes, details will eventually be baked to a texture, but we can perhaps simplify it by making the details and renderbumpflat-ing it. I'll darken the other three points and perhaps add color to the North point. I will also work on making this more low-poly, currently, without any optimization, it is around 2k polys. (curved surfaces and such)

NH, that looks nice :) Definately a better size.

Yes, details will eventually be baked to a texture, but we can perhaps simplify it by making the details and renderbumpflat-ing it.    I'll darken the other three points and perhaps add color to the North point.  I will also work on making this more low-poly, currently, without any optimization, it is around 2k polys.  (curved surfaces and such)

NH, that looks nice :)  Definately a better size.

Hey, all I had to do was shrink it! :) It's a very nice looking gem/compass. Good work. Can't wait to see it in game.

Edited by New Horizon