The Dark Mod Forums

A Problem Existent In Past Thief Games

woah

Actually a lot of the AI stuff we can afford to branch off into a low-priority thread, because its believable for humans to take a second or two to think about how they're going to do something before they do it (search a room for example), so it's acceptable if it takes these AI thinking threads a few seconds to run to completion.

There's also tricks like doing only rough pathfinding when you're far away from your goal, and then doing more detailed pathfinding the closer you get. So I would say that if we're careful, we can write the AI without a big performance hit.

It can be very annoying in games when the AI knows instantly what to do without a seconds hesitation - that sounds like a nice touch of realism. Yay! :)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah, a dual core cpu will boost performance, depending on how much the required program uses the cpu that is

Is it true that if I don't have a sound card, the second CPU will take care of the sound so it won't slow down my computer along with the video?

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

Well firstly you need some form of soundcard or you won't be hearing sound, period. You may be talking about having hardware acellerated 3D sound - in which case if the soundcard doesn't support hardware acelleration, yes the game may bring in a software version of the 3D sound and the work will be left up to the CPU. But if the load would be shared between the 2 CPUs, I dont know how that works, I think the game has to be designed to take advantage of 2 CPUs.

Our current lightgem is likely going to be more accurate than the existing Thief games, I don't think we need to spend so much time worrying about silhouetting. By the time we get all of the major systems in place, I'm pretty sure it's going to take a damn good system just to run that.

Not only that, but with our version of AI and lightgem, the difficulty will be harder, so throwing in sillhouetting as well might make it too hard! :)

Right now Im running a Dell 2.3 gig processor with 512 SDRAM and the Nvidia 5200 I think. I can run D3 at decent resolution w/o too many problems. Do youze guys think I may have to upgrade?

With a graphics card like that you would do well to upgrade anyway, not just for TDM.

...and there is Dram, leading all topics offtopic...

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

I suspect Sparhawk is mocking Maximus for saying "gig" instead of ghz.

I dont have time for all this super-techno Star Trek space age fetish terminology, Im very busy trying to prove that the back of my head actually exists when I can't see it.

Any suggestions for a video card? Something reasonably priced, sporty yet sophisticated...

I dont have time for all this super-techno Star Trek space age fetish terminology, Im very busy trying to prove that the back of my head actually exists when I can't see it.

Any suggestions for a video card? Something reasonably priced, sporty yet sophisticated...

that depends on how much you plan to spend and where you live.

for AU$200 you can get the same card as mine - GeForce 6600GT. It runs D3 perfect, my only problem is that i have only 512mb DDR RAM, i need more - especially for compiling maps, otherwise it takes years.

Of course you can go one up from that to a GeForce 6800 which costs around AU$300 and goes up from there. The 200 dollar price range is about the "sweet spot" where how much you spend you get around the equivalent in performance. Going to the more expensive cards is a rip off atm.

Anyways, hope that helps you :)

I agree with Dram, you want a reasonably priced entry-level card, go for the Geforce 6600 GT. If I'm correct and AU$200 is about US$150, I'm sure you can get it for even cheaper than that now, too. Just do some research on which company you want to buy it from, not all brands are created equal.

Edit: I'm not sure how prices have fluctuated recently, but if you're going past the US$200 range, I wouldn't go for the Geforce 6800...it's based on older technology now, and if you go up one level to cards like the 7800 GT you get a huge leap in performance. I was building a new computer and I got one bundled with a sweet SLI motherboard, lucky me. :D

Edited by thestemmer

I had my eye on the 6800 GS, which is very good for price/performance but unfortunately it's a PCI Express card and I still have AGP.

Looks like I have to stick with ATI, possibly the X800 XL will be my next investment (although my current 9800 XT is still perfectly competent and faster than the stock Geforce 6600, although not the 6600 GT). Not that ATI are bad, I think their cards are probably better but they don't have quite such good drivers.

yeah, you can't really win. One has good cards and excellent drivers, the other has great cards but buggy drivers.

To tell you the truth i went with NVidia because my last card was an ATI which was fucking up from the beginning. I only found out it was the vid card when it died, a year later, 2 days after the warranty had expired, it pissed me off as hell. So yeah, ever since then i prefer NVidia. Anyways.