The Dark Mod Forums

An Effective Way To Get Referrals?

woah

Yes, I've succumbed to the whole pyramid, advertising scheme thing offered by some websites. I had previously promised myself I wouldn't, but--being a poor college student that I am--I couldn't resist signing up for the PSP one. In addition, many of my friends have actually received "free" items from them--not one has been layed off. These include PSPs, Ipods, and even 27" flatscreen TVs.

But the intention of this post isn't to bug the forum members here for referrals, but, more or less, find a way to get them. This is not an advertisement post; I'm not going to put my referral link here. Though, I will post it only if someone requests for it in planning to sign up themselves (I'll admit I'm desperate).

Up until now, I've tried Conga lines and just bugging my friends, but both aren't really too effective. For one, everyone is quite skeptical about the whole thing, as it doesn't really seem to be realistic--they think it's some sort of scam. Also, not many people have the patience to go through and sign up for an offer, then cancel (even for the absolutely free ones, or when I promise them I'll pay them back through paypal). I don't really blame them, though; I'd be impatient and skeptical about something like this too--and I think the websites are designed to promote this (as the websites don't actually make money when someone completes all 5 referrals and their own offer; they depend on people getting discouraged and giving up).

Likewise, I have yet to be able to find a good Conga Line. All of them that I have seen are pretty much stagnant (including the one I'm in now). Also, the fact that the line needs to increase by a factor of 5 (As the PSP offer requires 5 referrals) for each person to get enough referrals is quite daunting (this is obviously why they call it a pyramid scheme). In other words, its going to take a hundred more people to sign up for the conga before I can get all five refferals, as I'm in position 20.

So this is where I hope the members of this forum can help me. If anyone has had experience with these things, or--even better--has actually completed one, I'd like your advise. Even if you're unfamiliar with them, perhaps you have an advantegous suggestion that could help me out. Again, this is not an attempt to advertise and get some referrals.

Truthfully, the only reason I want a PSP is to play the Twisted Metal game available on it. I'm a die-hard fan of Twisted Metal 2, and the PSP Twisted Metal game was specifically based off of Twisted Metal 2. Once I get bored of it, I'll probably sell the thing to someone at school and make a profit.

By the way, and if you're a fan like me, did you know that they made a PC version of Twisted Metal 2 with Online play? Unfortunately, the game didn't get enough advertising and it never took off. I can only imagine how awesome it would have been if it had, though.

Also, if you're just getting into one of these things, avoid OfferCentric websites at all costs. About 80% of their members don't get their items at all. They douche bags look for even the slightest reasons to disqualify you (IE: A referral of yours used the same IP address to subscribe for something). To make matters worse, they wait until you've finished all 5 referrals, and THEN tell you what you've done wrong...

Well, this is awesome news.

I've accumulated 5 referrals through a trading forum, and thus they are shipping me a Playstation Portable!

To think people pay $250 for those things, yet I'm getting one for $1...

I think I'll shoot for a PS3 next. That should sell for a hefty price ;)

Well, that sounds scoundrel.

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon