The Dark Mod Forums

Chipset Fan Meltdown

Macsen

When I started my PC this morning I got the message 'Chipset fan below threshold!' I can see two big fans turning in there but not the little one.

Is it still safe to run my PC? I don't need to play any videogames between now and Christmas, a long as I can still use the PC to run simple programs like Word that don't heat it up too much I'm fine.

Well, my CPU temperature is at 38 degrees, and my MB temperature at 30.

I won't blame anyone if my CPU melts. I'm in a desperae rush to get a magazine edited and published before Christmas so I'm just looking for an excuse to continue without a fan.

Hmmm, I managed to fix it by just opening up my PC and poking all the fans. I thought this PC fixing lark was supposed to be difficult. Maybe there was too much dust congealed in there.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Temp down to 27 celsius. My room is like a fridge this time of year anyway.

38 C sounds really low; are you sure your thermalcouple is making good contact to the CPU? Or is it an on-chip temp sensor? Some readouts are not correct either, and this is documented in some places (mine is about 15 C over), you might want to search for your type of CPU and temperature offset or something to see if it has such a problem.

Other than that yeah, if the fan started spinning at the right RPM again after you poked it, cleaning the crap out of it might be a good call. :) Or you could try to replace that fan, but that's probably going to be a delicate operation.

You should be able to run it safely with the chipset fan off, provided you have sufficient other fans to blow air over the chipset fan heatsink. I would remove the fan from the chipset heat sink, so that the other fans can disperse more air over the chipset. Most motherboard chipsets fans are sort of redundant, they are more of a safety feature than anything else.

I would suggest, if you have the money, to replace the CPU heatsink-fan with a Zalman CNPS-7000 or similar, and replace the Northbridge cooler with a passive Zalman heat sink. The Zalman CPU flower works to blow air over the passive northbridge cooler, thus negating the need for any extra active cooling on the northbridge. Alternatively, you might be able to replace the northbridge cooler with another 20mm fan - try at a computer market or Ebay. Have a look at the Zalman website, or one of the other aftermarket cooling solution manufacturers' website.

Getting rid of active northbridge cooling is the best thing you can do to reduce noise levels in your computer - those little 20mm fans make a huge racket, and don't contribute much to cooling. They get choked up with dust very quickly, and are usually the first fans to fail.

Your temperatures look fine, BTW, so I wouldn't stress at all. The MB is just chucking a wally because it can't detect a functional fan on the Northbridge. You should be able to disable the fan in BIOS, that will get rid of the warning.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for your computer shiting itself as a result of you following my advice. Seek professional guidance if you are at all unsure of what to do, as I don't provide any warranties!

Edited by obscurus