The Dark Mod Forums

Hello! (and Copyright Questions)

Necrovox

Hello all, I'm new to the forums, but this looks soooo good. When I was playing Thief: Deadly Shadows, I thought to myself... Wow if only they had used a tweaked Doom 3 engine...Lo and behold! I think once this dark mod is up and running, we can make Fms way better than the official Thief 3 and previous games.

But about copyright issues... Can we not mention Garrett or Mechanists or anything? Because I was thinking about actually creating a new DS once this mod is released! (using the same storyline, videos, but changing the levels to make them much longer and way more in depth.)

Anyways, keep up the great work :D

We will include a disclaimer with the mod asking people not to use the intellectual property of other companies, and we certainly won't officially support it. However, we can't control what individual people do with the mod.

Most Thief fans are getting rather tired with Garrett and want a new character if there is ever a Thief 4 anyway (I mean how many third rate save the world plots can this guy get involved in?).

What's so great aboiut Garrett anyway? It's not as if he was ever that well fleshed out in the games.

I never liked him. He doesn't make any sense. On the one hand he's supposed to be a cynical, world-weary, out-for-number-one thieving bastard, who takes along a variety of lethal weapons with him, so he's obviosuly not adverse to killing people for his own selfish ends, but on the other hand he's quite happy to risk his life for the greater good with very little persuasion or thought.

He's also constanly used as a naivepawn by the other characters throughout the 3 games.

He's a totally inconsistent vague thief character who fits into whatever mold the current plot happens to demand.

Hardly a great loss to literature, or even a gaming community.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Actually, I really like Garrett. :) A brilliant master thief, but also really good in a fight,

if need be. He has style and class, looks great striding across and brooding upon the rooftops

of the city with his flowing cloak (they should have kept that accurate in the Thief III in-game

model), and an almost super human ability to disappear in shadows, by virtue of his Keeper training.

And he even has a good sense of humor about the situations he finds himself in. :)

It's kind of like James Bond, fans never tire of seeing the latest crisis he must handle,

the latest dire circumstance he must escape from. It's a wonderful adventure that never ends.

I think many Thief fans feel the same way about Garrett. They always want to see what his

latest adventure will be, the difficult stealthy entrances into forbidden places, the clever

techniques to outwit his foes, stealing the valuable item/s, the daring escapes...

Ah, great stuff! :)

Perhaps a different perspective would be interesting, such as playing the leader of a small progressive group of Keepers that is trying to reclaim power from the "One True Keeper" who has mysteriously taken over the city.

Garrett was a great character, as video game characters go. Most suggestions for a DM Thief are pretty much just Garrett with a different name.

Mine isn't.

He is Farrell Alverstone, the son of the former Lord Alverstone.

His father lost the family fortune between gambling and bad investments, went to debtors prison where he dies soon after, and Farrell ends up on the streets where he gets involved with the thieves guild and learns his trade.

He never kills anyone, since it is against the thieves guild code (seeing as how they are paying off the right people to tun a blind eye to their activities, as long as they don't stretch to murder)

He doesn't get involved in save the world plots, and no one plays him for a fool.

He's a thief, not James 'Garrett' Bond.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

BAHahhahaha!!

WTF?!??! HAhahhaha.

I agree with Oddity, Garrett's had his day. the LAST thing i'd wanna see is Garrett running around in TDM. Quite honestly, he always seemed like a pussy to me. See, haha, going back to the james bond example... He never necessarily OPTED for a fight, but when he was presented with the beef, he always stepped up to the plate.

I like the idea of having a theif that is trained similar to a ninja minus the honor. He doesn't want to be detected. less work. but if he is, he can handle himself because he's trained physically, and is effective with his weapons.

But apparently Errol Flynn had a huge penis.

Not that big apparently?

I want to see the opposite of Garrett's story arc in a DM campaign. A good and decent man who sets out to save the City, rob from the rich and give to the poor and all that, who ends up as a desperate, selfish criminal fighting for his own life by robbing orphans and widows. :laugh:

He shouldn't be a noble, but an outsider who thinks he can change the City, and ends up becoming the very thing he went to the City to get rid of.

HAhaha, Crackhead Robin Hood

Yeaah, I know Oddity likes the pure stealth mish.

I like stealth'n myself, but storywise, and restrictions wise I don't want to have to beat around the bush cuz i'm too pusy to go through the balls out break and enter. I'd like to see cash/rewardsystem for stealth, but at the same time.. i dislike when my avatar seems like a wimp.

this guy could RUN it as a theif.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=51...bing&pr=goog-sl

nuff said on that topic from me. dont wanna stir up any hornets nests.. lol.

Garrett is a recurring character very similar to Bond indeed. I think that most people have a sense of knowing his personality more than was revealed mostly because controlling him was more intuitive and had many more degrees of freedom than other game characters that existed up to that point. That last video inspired me that indeed a new athletic but not so magical (rope arrows) character would be nice who can jump and climb walls like in the video and has many more degrees of freedom than Garrett.