The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

Not quite sure what you mean about the specular map.

If you take a look at that screen you'll see what I mean:

http://www.shadygrovetrainingcenter.com/Wi...mate_003_sm.jpg

Spider's surface doesn't have uniform specular intensity - it varies with the spot's colours, which makes surface more interesting.

Yep, it isn't a consistant specular on these guys. I don't know how apparent that is in the screenshots though.

Actually, I'm experimenting a little bit with coloured speculars to see what kind of effects can be achieved, though I don't intend to spend much more time on the spiders.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the belcher skin I've been working on. I tried to go for a rockier look--heavier scales and more rock-like colours to the skin. I also added a normalmap to the eyes, which I think helps reign in the specular a bit. I still can't figure out where the green is coming from, but it actually looks good so I'm not going to worry about it. :)

I'll probably play around with the eyes and claws in the future, but this is good enough for now.

belcher2.jpg

A larger shot where you can see the scales better

That's pretty cool! I love these Belchers, they look great.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

That's pretty cool! I love these Belchers, they look great.

I agree--kudos again to Ascottk for making them. :) They look so much better in motion, with their tails waving back and forth and them turning their heads around. It's excellent.

I like that skin a lot! The eyes still don't seem quite right though.

Yeah, I never thought something named after rude table manners would look so good :)

Yeah, I was wondering if Belcher is our working name for them, or if that is definitely their name? It seems like they need a more awe-inspiring name, but I know naming things usually devolves into arguments, so I don't want to clutter up the thread. :)

I like the name Belchers. It's slightly reminiscent of the other two-legged-lizard whose name starts with B, without being similar enough to draw explicit association.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I like the name Belchers. It's slightly reminiscent of the other two-legged-lizard whose name starts with B, without being similar enough to draw explicit association.

That's precisely what strikes me as somewhat cheesy. That's like having a main character named Gorrotte, or those Duplo blocks that ripped off Legos, or GoBots. :) I just feel that it cheapens the setting a bit to think that the best name people could come up for these majestic beasts was "belchers."

Well, I disagree. :P I don't think it's cheesy. Literal, but not cheesy.

In any case, I vote that the next person to reply to this conversation starts a new thread, if they're looking to start a proper discussion... this one doesn't need to be derailed even more. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since every time I assign a hat to a contributor they disappear, I thought I'd make one myself. :)

hat1.jpg

Nothing to write home about, but I'm proud of it. :)

That townsfolk guy looks vaguely Russian to me when he's wearing that hat. Not sure why, he just does! :) Nice work.

By the way, I chuckled when I saw your SVN comment. "I made a hat!" Hehe.

I made a feather for the hats, and then noticed we didn't have an ink & quill model yet, so...presto. :)

quill.jpg

Cool. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to add to our decorative options...here are two vases/pots that use Ascottk's gen-skins.

vases2.jpg

• 1 month later...

I noticed we were a little light on foliage models, so I've added two--a big and small bush with several different skins. It works as a sparse bush or as grass.

bush02.jpg

Resized and retextured Pinkdot's religious symbol model to make a few gold relics for cathedral loot.

religious_symbols.jpg