The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

Here's the first part of my new weapon set--axes:

(a battleaxe, halberd, and rustic axe)

axes1.jpg

There's still a few places to tweak (and they need collision models still), but they're done enough to upload (there you go, Bob).

I like those models, especially that irregular axe handle (although I would bend it in the opposite way... ;) ). Your progress in modelling is really inspiring, Springheel. You started from scratch recently....

But if I was to nitpick a little bit - on polycount.com they say: "You could put more love in those textures"... While they look OK, they could be more interesting with some scratches, especially at the blade, a little bit dirt or rust here and there, you know...

I think prefer the bent axe handle the way it is, forward like that. Seeing these excellent models just makes me want to go battle! Or join an axe toss competition at the Ren Fair!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Funny, we all have different opinions besides the fact that they are indeed good models.

my opinion in case you care ;)

I think PinkDot is right that there could be a little more detail. Of course it could go either way. If the maps are object specific more detail for sure. If however you were thinking of mod bloat (I like that term) and you just reused existing textures I'd say job well done. We don't have very many generic textures that can be used for alot of stuff so it's hard to do and get a good effect.

I think the shapes are great as is and agree with Komag that you have the right shape for the axe handle, better leverage that way.

I think the axe handle looks odd for different reason than sparhawk, I'm not seeing a rust anywhere. I think it looks odd because it is big enough to be a 2 handed axe, yet only one hand could fit on the handle. I also think the bent handle axe is too big, looks like a one handed wood axe to me, but is too big. Deffinately not a fightin axe so I wouldn't even have a large one. The silver fighting axe though, you could have a small one handed (just scale that model down 50%), and a 2 handed - as is but the handle should be 100% longer.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

With an axe that has such a rusty blade, one would think that the handle would also be worn as well, but it looks clean and brandnew.

Also there is a strange triangle on the rusty blade (right where the handle and the blade meets). Don't know if this is a problem with UV mapping or some other issue.

Gerhard

With an axe that has such a rusty blade, one would think that the handle would also be worn as well, but it looks clean and brandnew.

I knew you were thinking that. I also know that you've forgotten that the point of having a head is so you can replace the handle when it breaks.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Thanks for the comments. :)

You're right about the textures--they're just using generic metal and wood textures right now. The metal is actually pretty scratched up, but you can't see that until you get closer--maybe it needs to be brought out more. It will be extremely easy to make lots of skins for these, including rusted versions. I'll post the skins when I'm finished with the rest of the models.

@Spar: You're right about that one poly catching more light than it should--I can't figure out what's causing that yet.

Well, the light is coming from that side.

Also, I notice that the blade edge looks smoothed. Probably (can't say for sure how the axe was made but this would cause that) that triangle was made after the rest of the mesh? So it isn't smoothed like the mesh.

I think it would actually be good to detach each side of the axe face (all polys on left, all polys on right, polys top, polys bottom) and have them each in their own smooth group (verts along edges NOT welded). That would give a nice hard edge to the edges, but the sides themselves could be smooth and get rid of that triangle.

You can detach the faces to break the verts. Then reattach all matching textures to one piece, just don't weld the verts afterwards.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Well, that EOC guy never got around to modelling a decent longbow, so I made one, as well as a shortbow. The longbow in the middle is a tweaked version of the one Ascottk made by enlarging the player shortbow (3rd one in the row). The new ones come with string versions for props and nonstring versions for use by AI archers.

bows2.jpg

Ever since BT did that roman legion model a while ago which we had thought of using as a ceremonial imperial guard, I've thought of the empire as romanesque. Here's a sword that could be a ceremonial weapon, or just very old (rusty versions of these weapons will be part of my 'old' texture set).

gladius.jpg

That sword is very interesting - its ancient shape makes it a good quest goal in old catacombs or other ancient ruins.

I'm not sure about that straight arms of those bows... Other than that they look very good.

I was aiming for something like this with the bow (without adding more polys for the subtle curves at the tip--maybe that was a mistake).

longbow-brushbow.jpg

That sword is very interesting - its ancient shape makes it a good quest goal in old catacombs or other ancient ruins.

Yeah, I'm making a rusted texture for it, and I'm curious what that would look like in the hands of our revenants... :)

Here's an example of how the new weapons can easily be modified by different skins. By swapping different wood and metal textures, it's easy to make many different looks. These are just a couple.

weapons.jpg

The rustic axe and mace could still use some work, but the others are "decent". I could work on them longer to make them even better, but I'm going by the philosophy that it's better to get lots of decent models in game now, so they can be used and then tweaked later, than a few excellent models here and there.

Anyway, I think I'm going to take a break from the weapons for a bit and do something else. For those keeping track, our weapon totals are:

4 swords (longsword, shortsword, dagger, ceremonial sword)

3 axes (battleaxe, handaxe, rustic axe)

2 polearms (halberd, spear)

1 quarterstaff

1 hammer

1 mace

----

12 melee weapons

2 longbows

2 shortbows

----

4 missile weapons

BTW, what do you mean by revenants?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showt...enant&st=25

Those collection klooks good. :) The handle of the rightmost axe looks a bit weird. Not sure if this is supposed to be a pattern, or simply a wrong wood texture, but apart from this, the others look great. I still like the worn skins (in the middle) the best. Looks IMO most realistic, then the brand new shiny ones, but I think those also have their uses.

Gerhard

You're right, the rustic axe handle is weird. It looks ok with the light handles, but not the dark--I need to revisit the uvmap.

Here's something new. I figured stone is pretty expensive, so wooden wells would be common, especially in the slums and working class quarters. Here's a wooden well model and the reference pic:

well_square.jpg

reference:

brunnen.jpg